Jesus Lives In Cheesburger Stains, But A Goat Lives In My Maple.

So...I've been a bad project guitarist...away for too long. But the upside is that I've been researching and finally building guitars.

I thought since everyone at this forum has been nice to me and helpful over the years, I thought I'd share my current project.

So over the past year I have been fortunate to work with some guys who spend their life creating and building with their own hands. The company is called CCG Woodworks. They do custom cabinetry, desks, and furniture to fit the client's needs. The guy I know is my buddy Phil Ebner, Deutschland's dorkus-extrordinaire--he was the former bassist for my new band Vocoder. The other guy is Evan Smith and he's a really cool dude with a Boston accent.

Here's the base of the body. It's an alder core with a thin piece of walnut covering it creating a pinstripe between the top and base.

CCGCustomTele-base.jpg

The top started off as a solid piece of crotch maple...or whatever type of maple it is, since the figure goes in a gazilllion directions. There were many voids so I had to space out the maple with cocobolo and purpleheart that were lying around from someone elses project. My brother is an artist and pointed out that the purple and brown bleed pigmentally (is that a word?) into each other and I should have used maple or another lighter wood in between the cocobolo and purpleheart to offset the color. Oh well.

CCGCustomTele-top.jpg

About the time I was about to start cutting, I realized that I was lacking thickness to the body, so I added another piece of maple that Phil had picked up from Home Depot. When we book matched it we found the strangest figure. He saw little heads and eyes, but I saw a massive goat, ala satanic hubub style. I'm and Aries so it didn't bother me, but if I get popular and more talented after playing this guitar you'll know that me, Robert Johnson, and Tenacious D had something in common...

CCGCustomTele-goat.jpg

I originally wanted to make an Ibanez Jem or RG styled guitar but I scrapped that since I hadn't figured out how to do belly and arm relief. So I went with a Tele since I had leftover parts lying around from another project.

Rough cutting the body

Telerough-front.jpg

A few friends couldn't tell what the heck I was talking about so I made a drawing for them...

Telerough-satan2.jpg

Shaped the body with the table router and wah-lah! It's starting to look like a guitar...and yes the pickup rout was a tad deep originally...

Teleshaped-front.jpg

I picked up an inexpensive Mighty Might neck and found that the neck joint was a bit small, since I was using 3/4" router bits to cut things. So I had to go pick up a smaller bit to manuever the neck in. Below is prior to the new bit arriving.

Teleshaped-mockup.jpg

I sanded the crap out of it after rounding the edges and took a 320 grit foam pad to it at around 1:30am Sunday night since I was too excited. Those foam pads make the finsh night and day. I oiled it with orange oil, altho I think that might not have been the best for it, since I want to laquer it, but it looks pimp now and I can dial it in now before I add the laquer. I have a new Wilkinson Tele brindge coming that allows the strings to be locked in without going thru the body (and ruining Earl, yes I named my goat...).

Heres a few shots oiled up. I made a rosewood control plate as well to give it this multiwood design. I'm in the market for wood knobs too if anyone knows where to go for them...

Teleoiled-front.jpg

A few router burns never hurt anyone...

Teleoiled-sandwich.jpg

Earl...

Teleoiled-back.jpg

--

James

www.myspace.com/dividedbyzero

www.myspace.com/vocoder

Wow, what an interesting guitar! I really like that wood combo it is quite visually appealing. That figure on the top is wild, as you said it is a number of different figures all combined and you picked a wicked spot to cut your top from.

I gotta say I am pretty excited because I can say that I was the first person to reply to the man with the Goat Guitar. Once your famous I will print this thread and frame it, lol. That is an amazing little spot of maple figure for home depot. I have seen a couple pieces with some very light figure, but nothing that concentrated and cool. You should think about doing some crazy staining on the back to color your goat, that way people can see it through your eyes, nah I like the natural look, but it would be cool I think. BTW I can see it, lol. Anyhow nice work cranking out that tele, it turned out nice. Hope to see some more of your work soon. J

Edited by jmrentis

Originally quoted by jmrentis

You should think about doing some crazy staining on the back to color your goat, that way people can see it through your eyes

A hellish orange stane, maybe a burst or something to make the demon goat stand out lol would be AWESOME!!!

After all, it's not everyday you get a goat cropping up in your maple haha!

Lovely guitar whatever you decide to do with it!!! :D

Pete

Very nice!

I can see the goat no problem. :D

What's your opinion on the Mighty Mite neck in general, in terms of fretwork, etc.? Also, once it's all assembled and strung up, I'd be curious to see how it holds up with the action all adjusted, etc.

Greg

I saw the goat in the first pic, but in that last one I see a fat man wearing goggles pretending to be the hulk....

like this

manyl4.jpg

It's Atlas, he's clearly holding the world on his back.

Or a hell-goat. Either/or.

Why not both? Emblem of the Devil, the entire world. Incarnation of evil, human life. I'm seeing some parallels.

Congrats on the wood, though, and the color on the body looks awesome, even though it's just orange oil. The stain works well with all of the woods you chose.

The last picture looks like a guy with a really wide jaw with a bowl on his head.

It's Homer Simpson.

Homer.jpg

Picture courtesy of Ben

Thank goodness building guitars doesn't take freehand! :D

Sanding and shaping is so much easier than drawing for me,lol.

PS: Not always, but many of the Homer drawing, especially old ones will have the ear and sideburn hair how I drew it which is the initials of it's creator MG Matt Groening.

Edited by jmrentis

It's Homer with lightning bolts shooting out of his fingers.

Sorry Erik, my drawing skills do not surpass preschool, I tried, but it just ain't happenin'. :D

HOMER2.jpg

I see it though! :D And Hyunsu's smiley face.

Edited by jmrentis

It's Homer with lightning bolts shooting out of his fingers.

Sorry Erik, my drawing skills do not surpass preschool, I tried, but it just ain't happenin'. :D

HOMER2.jpg

I see it though! :D And Hyunsu's smiley face.

i agree your pigure.. so cool..