Slimming A Neck

I hear good things about Atkins. :D

But seriously, the easy answer is sandpaper. If you're trying to change the profile of the neck you might have to break out the surform or spokeshave or other woodworking implement of your choice. You've also got to think about the finish currently on the neck. Do you know how deep the truss rod is and how much wood you have to work with?

Most people would probably say don't bother trying this, too many variables. It's not a process that can be fully answered in a couple of sentences and will take some woodworking skill and specific knowledge of the guitar neck in question.

Edited by mattharris75

Short answer is "do not do it."

This is just something that everyone in the world tries to convince you will make you play faster,but in reality it does not,and you risk the neck to do so.most necks are already thin enough.

what about an Epiphone Les Paul style? I know they have a lot of extra beef on there. Wouldn't that make it a little safer than other guitars? I'm not talking about taking off a huge portion of the back or reshaping the profile. Would just a little bit off the back be ok? I'm not an expert here.

what about an Epiphone Les Paul style? I know they have a lot of extra beef on there. Wouldn't that make it a little safer than other guitars? I'm not talking about taking off a huge portion of the back or reshaping the profile. Would just a little bit off the back be ok? I'm not an expert here.

you have to remember that gibson and epi. use a curved truss rod, so you have a fair bit less wood to work with in the middle than at each end of the neck

Short answer is "do not do it."

This is just something that everyone in the world tries to convince you will make you play faster,but in reality it does not,and you risk the neck to do so.most necks are already thin enough.

you said it "I'm not an expert "

i seen many lovely old guitars ruined by having the neck "shaved" as we used to call it. It was fashionable in the 70's to take the old 60's strat in to have the neck shaved. mostly what you got in the end was a new neck as the old one would bend twist or crack. Also you gotta know that a stiff heavy neck gives great tone. If you gotta have a slim neck jus go buy a cheap chinee axe, theres plenny out there that play nice. save ur fattie and sell it to someone who likes em.