What Kind Of Wood Is This?

Hey folks..

I robbed my job for a couple of small logs as they were expanding the business, and had to cut down some trees.

Some people told me that it was maple, but I recognise the leaves on the maple, and it is definitely not that, but aside

from maple and a few select others, I have little knowledge when it comes to trees, so... can any of you help...?

I'm thinking Ash, but I don't really got anything to back that up with.. hehe..

Another thing, what should I do with this wood. I know I must let it dry for a very long time, but should I cut some planks from it, or just leave as is..?

Here's some pictures...

wood1.jpg

More wood

Leaves

Thanks!!!

I'm not sure of what type of wood it is I will look it up. You should cut the logs up into billets or whatever you are planing to do with it. Just remember to seal up the ends and stack it properly with sticker(a 3/4"x3/4"xhow ever long you need)and use allot of weight on top so it wont warp or twist as it dries. Make sure to store the wood somewhere dry and warm. Good luck on the wood.

Mike :D

The leaves are a little hard to ID looks like they are chewed up a bit. Off the cuff I would think an Ash(not sure what types of Ash grow in your area), or a Basswood is a possibility(again I would look at species that are more common to your area). If these were cut on a lot or at someones house(not a range of native trees). You could have a non native species. I know my daughter and I walked through our neighborhood identifying softwoods, and found about 20 species within 6 blocks of our house.

It is a good idea to seal the ends of the log. You should de-bark it so you don't get insect or fungal damage. I would probably mill it(or have it milled). Then you will have a little better luck drying it(about a year per inch or so* depending on your normal temps and humidity). Be sure to keep it off the ground, stickered(if you have it milled) to allow for air flow.

P.S. local mills(small or portable) are usually good sources for getting the most out of your logs, and how to dry the lumber in your area.

Peace,Rich

P.S. Eddie-

well you're from Norway, what about Birch? or Beech?
Bark looks wrong for a Birch or Beech(from what I can tell) :D . Edited by fryovanni

Godin, I don't think the bark is right for Cherry. The leaves of a Cherry could be similar, but it is hard to tell with the leaves in the picture.

orgmorg- Bark is wrong for Alder.

Erik- I think you have it! It is the dreaded small leafed European Pine :D . Outstanding denisty to stiffness numbers :D .

Peace,Rich

Actually, the bark looks exactly like cherry bark, but the leaves are wrong. Cherry leaves are pointier, and less serrated.

European ( black ) alder is different than american ( red ) alder.

Red alder bark is more greyish/whitish, smooth with large fissures.

European is much darker, and different texture.

But the leaves look just like alder leaves.

If it is not an alder, it is something else in that family, probably a type of birch.

River birch ( an american species ) has bark just like that.

if that was laying in my back yard it woud be pine

thats looking at the bark and color but its not my yard

although in that pic i dont see any sap and it has leaves not needles so its not that

Maybe a few links to some web pages with pics can help. I know my field guides are for western and north American trees. It could be something I am not seeing.

European Ash-link

European weeping birch-link

sycamore maple-link

Basswood-link

European black alder-link

Black Cherrie-link

River Birch-link

European Cherry-link

Lots of maybe, but I would look to local experts to ID it. Just take a good bark sample, best leaves and small branches you have. They should be able to nail it down.

Peace,Rich

Here's another pic of black cherry bark:

http://www.pec.on.ca/wildflowers/flowers.php?id=545

This is another set of pictures of that Black Cherry Bark(from younger tree to an older tree)link. The Bark looks similar to older cherry tree bark, but older Cherry bark is not a heavy husky bark it is thinner flaky bark. The bark in the original photos looks husky to me(I may very well be seeing it wrong). If the bark is thinner and flaky that could bring back the Alders(in really old trees they do the same). It is kinda fun to play the identification game. Alyssa(my daughter) and I go on walks collecting leaves(or needles or scales), branches, cones, berrys, buds and twigs then go home and look them up in our field guides. I think she likes the pine cones more than the identification :D , but that is a three year old for ya.

Peace,Rich

Cherry bark gets pretty thick and husky, but based on the leaves, I'm pretty sure that's not what we have here. Could be some kind of plum, though.

Bark can be decieving, anyway. It can vary hugely, depending on growing conditions, and local variations.

Twigs and buds, like you mention, are a much more reliable indicator.

Have you shown your daughter how you can roll pine cones in peanut butter, sprinkle birdseed on them and hang them up for the birds? My little girl really digs that. :D

Cherry bark gets pretty thick and husky, but based on the leaves, I'm pretty sure that's not what we have here. Could be some kind of plum, though.

Bark can be decieving, anyway. It can vary hugely, depending on growing conditions, and local variations.

Twigs and buds, like you mention, are a much more reliable indicator.

Have you shown your daughter how you can roll pine cones in peanut butter, sprinkle birdseed on them and hang them up for the birds? My little girl really digs that. :D

Yep, We even had a couple regular bird feeders for a while. We get a lot of birds that stop by our pond. This year we had a Heron that decided to stop by and have a bunch of our fish for breakfast(irritaing birds, but cool to look at). My wife read that you put up a pair of Heron decoys and the Herons would stay away(seems to keep other birds away also unfortunately). Those fish are pretty popular. We had a pack of Racoons that used to stop by every night, but they discovered fish is whats for dinner(had to put up one of those electric fences to keep them out). I suppose short of sitting out there with a shotgun 24/7 the fish are protected pretty well now. Plus I noticed they had a batch of baby fish that are swimming about. So the population should be back as soon as they get a little bigger. Ahhh... Life in the big city.

Peace,Rich

Hey folks.

Thanks a lot for all the answers and suggestions. I really appreciate it, and wow, never guessed I'd get so many.

From all the variety in here I don't think I got much closer than what I were in the beginning, but there are many sorts that I have ruled out.

I'm left with the feeling that it is Ash of some sort. I read somewhere that the bark of ash can be really similar to oak, and judging from a couple

of oaks I have around my house, that seems pretty close.

Anyway, it isn't toooo important anyway, I'll just get it chopped, and start the drying...

And thanks again!!