Is This Skil Router A Good Choice?

iskim86

I had an older Skil of similar specs (but plunge base) that suited me well for years. Whilst a plunge router is handy, most of the time you can get by with a fixed base, and all of my complaints with that router really revolved around the junky plunge base action. But yeah, it got the job done, and I was happy with it. But I never had anything to compare it to - I recently picked up one of the 3-base deWalt router sets, and I have to say, I'm glad to put the Skil to rest. If you can find a way to afford it, having a nicer tool is going to be more pleasant, but my experience with similar Skil tools seems like they're fairly good tools for the lower cost. I certainly wouldn't go any lower than that on the food chain. (A friend of mine got a total junker of a router from Harbor Freight - and yeah, it just wasn't pretty.

I have a small 1/4" router but quite powerful that detaches from its base so you can use it as a Die grinder as well. Its handy for shaping the area where the truss rod nut comes into the Peg head so you have clearance for a socket etc. It has a surprisingly smooth plunger setup with good depth stop. I have made attachments for radius cutting and binding cutting so it is versatile.

Edited by Acousticraft

I'll add a vote for the reconditioned Hitachi. I have one of those exact ones and love it. The plunge base feels nice and smooth to me, adjustable speed, and an induction motor so you don't get the twisting and kicking at start up and shut down. Cuts very nicely. I don't have a dial gauge yet, so I haven't been able to check the run out, but it seems to have very little. Great deal for the money. And as an added bonus I actually like the colors.

I suppose I could comment here. I owned and burned up a skill like the one you posted. The tool was not very durable to say the least, and adjuctments were poor(I have an old HF router I picked up at a garage sale that has lasted twice as long as the skill did, and is still working fine* That is not a glowing recommendation for HF, but speaks to the Skills quality). I also own and have used a Hitachi like the on that a couple members suggested. The Hitachi is a bargain. It has soft start, nice solid adjustments, comes with fixed and plunge base, will accomodate 1/4" thru 1/2" bits, variable speed(a great feature), and the weight and balance is super. You will be very happy and get good use out of the Hitachi well worth a couple dollars more. Short of a few complaints about goofy looks. You generally will not hear many complaints about Hitachi tools :D .

Peace,Rich

do you guys think it's a better idea to purcahse a Dremel? it has more uses so it's a bigger bang for the buck, right?

I have an older Dremel that runs on batteries, I'm thinking of replacing that one...

Dremels have hundreds of great uses, many of them even applicable to what we do in guitar building, but it's no replacement for a router - there's really no way it's going to work for truss-rod routes, pickup cavities, control cavities, trimming a body blank to shape along a template, etc.

+1 jp, the dremel is no replacement for the router.

I have heard of a combo kit from Ridgid, Ridgid Router, it is getting really great reviews and has the versatility you may want or even need later. It is quite a bit more though. As far as I know Ridgid has always made a lot of industrial grade items. I plan on going out in the next few months to look at it myself. Good luck in your search. :D

MG

Dremel will never work. You need some horsepower. You'll understand once you get to work. I just built my first body w/ that pictured Hitachi and have no complaints but it's basically the only router I've used so that should mean very little to you. For what it's worth, I was able to get away w/o buying more expensive template following bearing router bits on account of the template following kit it comes w/ it.

I just grabbed a ryobi 2hp plunge, multi speed, soft start, and more for $40 off craigslist. A guy used it once to put a chamfered edge on a poker table. I guess it came with three bits and he threw in the one he bought for the poker table. I tried it out today for the truss route in some tough jatoba and it worked beautifully. I had a HF router I bought a while back and ran into a number of problems with it the other day, some of which worried me as in it became dangerous, considering it has extremely sharp metal spinning at 20,000+rmps and started wobbling. So, I chucked it in the trash and checked craiglist because I am broke right now. The plunge action isn't perfect but if you pay attention it works just fine, but much better than the HF router in my opinion. The HF router using a 7/32 carbon, spiral bit cut a hole way bigger and that was after I improved the problem. The Ryobi's route was so tight that the Hotrod barely fit, honestly I had to adjust the fence a fraction of a hair to make it wider just to be able to get the rod in at all without any tape or cling wrap on it. Anyhow, just wanted to throw that out there, I have had other ryobi stuff that wasn't that great, but the router seems just fine and far surpassed what I expected of it and unless I run into any major problems with it I might just keep it in action for a while, plus the price was right. Don't let this post change your mind on anything, I just wanted to say it worked pretty good and I was happy I got it for $40. When I first started looking the other day for a less expensive router to get me through until I get my nice one, I saw some of the cheaper craftsman and they looked really nice for the prices and were one of my main choices. I bet they would be a good purchase. Let us know what you get and how it works when you can. J

Edited by jmrentis

For what it's worth, there's an eBay seller doing the Hitachi set, new, for 99 bucks.

Looks like a nice tool, lots of router for the money, I'm almost tempted to get one. But I think I'll stick to my trusty 'ol Porter Cable. Although Hitachi does at least have service centres here....hmmm....

That Hitachi set actually has gotten quite good reviews from every magazine I've seen that's reviewed it. I think Fine Woodworking gave it the "Best Value" award for 2-ish HP routers in their 2007 tool guide.

Edited by jnewman

The routers I would steer clear of are the Ryobi,s ;anything that says Craftsman ;Skil and all Chinese knockoffs.A router is not the tool you want to skimp on.It requires presicion adjustments and is safe and can take a beating.Save up and buy a PC ; Dewalt or a Hitatchi.You won't regret either router

I use all porter cable router with no trouble. I have 3 of them the correct router for the correct job. I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. from looking at the skill I say it's made for light duty routing. buying a Dermal will never do what a router will You need some horsepower. the dermal work great for small stuff and has there place in guitar building.I would save and buy a better router and you will be a happy camper

• 2 months later...