Fine tuners on fixed bridges

locking tuners don't lock in place,they only lock the string into the tuner,eliminating multiple wraps around the tuning keys and thereby increasing tuning stability.....bends also generally don't pull anything out of tune unless the tuners are worn out or the string is dragging in the nut.

i don't believe in using fine tuners or a locking nut with a fixed bridge.i believe all it does is make changing tunings a pain in the ass

are you sure that's the only kind of locking tuner wes? i know there's a kind that bites the string in the eye hole so you only need like 1/2" around the peg... but i thought there was another kind that locked the tunning peg in plade so you couldn't turn it...

I believe the key word is "FINE tuners".....

For minor adjustments, fine tuners are easier to use.

Your tuners aren't quite as easy to use for minor tweaks, and usually if you need to tune down, you have to tune past where you need to go, and then tune up again.

Fine tuners on a fixed bridge sounds good to me!

:D

Guest AlexVDL

Yep, I once had a les paul with a finetuning hardtail, an I added a locknut. Man that thing never got out of tune!

And you can finetune while playing. When you're playing guitar, your left hand is too busy playing the notes or chords, and stretching your right to reach the tuners is a bitch if you're in the middle of a fast or hard solo. You just have to move your picking hand a few inches to turn the finetuning screw. It's so easy.

And like Rai6 said, they really FINEtune better than a normal tuner.

Or maybe it's for people who are used to playing floyd rose trems hehehe :D

Yep, I once had a les paul with a finetuning hardtail, an I added a locknut. Man that thing never got out of tune!

That is a very interesting idea for a guitar, I guess the only problem would be if you want use a different tuning, but that is the same for Floyd Roses anyway.

I actually had both Schaller fine tuning tailpiece models (including that one pictured at the top of the thread). The first one I had on an Epiphone Les Paul and I was having Floyd Rose withdrawls and I put the fine tuning tailpiece on it plus a behind-the-nut locking nut. It sucked with the "locking nut" and I removed it and added Sperzels. The other was on a cheesy star shaped guitar that originally was routed for a nonrecessed floyd rose. I had it blocked up on the surface only and I didn't want to drill too many holes in case I wanted to change it back to a floyd.

Basically it's good when you have headstocks that bend the string after the nut (like Gibsons/Jackson). Unless you use flatwounds the string could potentially bind at each wrap of the string and "jump" when you are tuning. Since the fine tuning tailpiecejust adds more tension (does not move the string across the nut) it would resolve minor issues like tuning string jumps. Of course you could solve this by getting a guitar with straight string pull like Fender, Ibanez (RG/talman headstocks), PRS, new 3x3 Jackson headstocks, Schecters, etc.

As far as Satch's guitar is concerned, I think it's retarded. He had two other fixed bridge models that looked great. That thing just looks as if he couldn't let go of the shape of the floyd bridge. Plus imagine having to replace parts...what a nightmare.

i think locking tuners that actually lock in place would be great..then no accidental bumps of the keys..or if u lay the guitar down(not that i do this) and the tuners wouldnt move and it wouldnt go out of tune so easily...especially if u have a gig bag...thats what i thought locking tuners were at first...

I think those LSR tuners might be what you need...completely cylindrical if I remember right. No bumping will move those bad boys. Never figured out the hype, although Dave Mustaine of Megadeth used those in his latter years so they must be decent.

LSR tuners are cool. The hype comes from the fact that they have a 40:1 ratio, and the pull the string linearly instead of rotating it around a shaft.

But they're like $100 a set. You can get two sets of Grover locking tuners - which have an 18:1 ratio - for that price.

Guest AlexVDL
i;m still wondering about what saber asked, whats the deal with the js2000?

They probably just used the mold from a lo pro trem and cut off the parts where the studs are placed.

Plus I think Joe is used to fine tune at the bridge, so why not leave the finetuners there :D