Locking Strap Buttons

hahaha....if you only ever use one strap then buy a full set & then buy just the buttons, Stew Mac sells the parts. How cheap are you thinking?...a strip of Gaffa tape over the strap ends will keep it secure but ruin the finish, those red washers on Grolsch bottles can be slipped over the buttons after the strap is fitted to stop it coming off although a chunkier rubber washer will work better....they can be expensive though :D , you could screw the strap button over the strap or use a metal washer in it's place...or you could do what Zakk Wylde does & screw a massive clamp thingy into the strap button hole & use a chain as a strap.

zakkwylde.jpg

These are nice and I have 'em on a couple of my guitars but they won't fit over a lot of strap buttons (though I find that when you have the big strap buttons you don't need 'em.) Personally, my weapon of choice has just become buying nice, thick leather straps and I never have any trouble w/o strap locks.

There are a couple of other choices. I think Mighty Mite sells a set. I believe they're a bit cheaper. Check the Allparts website also. They have Dunlops with 2 choices of profile: one sits closer to the body than the other. They also carry the Schallers. I have Schallers on my Lp. They work great but they stick out alot so you need to remove them prior to putting the guitar into your case. I'm sure Brian has the stuff at Universal Gems quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat...STRAP%20BUTTONS

I'm intrigued with the Stew mac set. I'll have to get a set and try them out.

I think 12 bucks is more than fair for the security that your 600+ dollar guitar isn't going to do a nosedive and require extensive surgery :D

+1 When I first got my schaller straplocks I was surprised by the price and felt it to be plenty fair for their purpose. There are other ways and such, but for what they do and how easy it is to get them I have no problems with that price. Especially knowing they will work since so many use them without complaints, which gives a little piece of mind when jamming out with your nice guitar. J