Zebrano Baritone With Wenge Neck

As for the Zebra. I actually had a bit pull out of my router because the zebra was playing hell with it. I can understand why your template bit broke on you. Nothing scarier than a bit flying at you at 20,000 RPM! I got lucky and caught mine before it came out.

The bit actually flew up my sleeve, believe it or not :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the Zebra. I actually had a bit pull out of my router because the zebra was playing hell with it. I can understand why your template bit broke on you. Nothing scarier than a bit flying at you at 20,000 RPM! I got lucky and caught mine before it came out.

The bit actually flew up my sleeve, believe it or not :D

:DB):DB)

:D:DB)

That was pretty much my sequence of emotions... shock, confusion then sadness upon realising my bit broke... although I'd add another B) and then a :D , for my confusion upon not being able to find the bit that broke off, and then my amusement upon its discovery.

Anyway, I just put all my wood back in the box it came in. I rested it all on the foamy padding, polystyrene-like stuff craft supplies filled the box with, so there should be plenty of air circulating beneath it to help it reach moisture equilibrium with the surroundings faster. I havent closed the box lid either.

Soooo... this thread's on hold for a few weeks then!

Will you be stopping by the site while on holiday or is this a get away from everything type getaway, lol. Have fun. J

Cheers, and were staying in a caravan for the first week and then a friends holiday house for the second. Neither have internet connections so I'll have to deal with full on forum withdrawl symptoms.

Yeah, I've suffered some of the symptoms of AFW(Acute Forum Withdrawl), not too much fun. Usually, in treating the symptoms I suggest a nice holiday with some friends and/or family. If the AFW symptoms start getting really bad here is how you medicate: Grab a pen, paper, and a friend. Find a door, close yourself inside a room with your friend outside the door. Then write them a message via pen and paper and "submit" it under the door, where they can view your post and respond. Just FYI, LOL.

Seriously though, have fun let your planer hands heal, wood dry, nerves calm(flying router bits) and come back on a mission! J

PS: I also always buy kiln dried from local sources, but still always let it sit for a while anyway.

Hey Ben, I completed the work on my fingerboard for my baritone today. No idea when I'll start it, but I wanted to get all the small woodwork done so I could store it away until I'm ready. The Sperzel's have been laying around for a couple years, figure I'll put them to use on this project. 27.25" scale, 25 frets! I might add a few more in the future.

6-string%20Beast%201.JPG6-string%20Beast%202.JPG

Edited by Jon

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Ben, I completed the work on my fingerboard for my baritone today. No idea when I'll start it, but I wanted to get all the small woodwork done so I could store it away until I'm ready. The Sperzel's have been laying around for a couple years, figure I'll put them to use on this project. 27.25" scale, 25 frets! I might add a few more in the future.

Cool, make sure you start a progress thread (ideally one with a lot of pictures :D) when you start building!

I'm back from my holiday now, and will be able to start working again on thursday. For the meantime, I've decided what inlay I'm going to attempt...

Its fairly ambitious for me, but I think/hope I could do it if I'm slow and careful.

inlay-1.jpg

Its Zebrano on wenge.

- A question: I dont really have any suitable tools for this yet, so what would suffice; either a (much cheaper) set of gouges (I have more time and patience than cash :D), or would it be best to shell out for a dremmel type thing (even though it costs a lot more)?

You could probably get that laser cut you know....it would be a challenge to do it by hand however :-D

Where did you source your zebrano from? I'm having major trouble getting anything of a decent blank thickness in the UK!

I'd love to get it laser cut, but roughly how much would it cost? (I'm already spending more than I can afford and the rent I have to pay at the end of the month will be pushing the limits of my free overdraft)

I cant imagine it would be cheaper than a dremel, and I'd probably rather pay for a tool I can keep for future. (and at least wenge is dark enough to forgive inevitable small mistakes)

And my zebrano was from craft supplies, but unfortunately I got the last piece they had... I guess they may have re-stocked, but you've probably already contacted them anyway. Sorry I cant be of more help.

Heres a mockup of how it would look on the finished guitar:

winlay.jpg

What do people think?

I'm currently thinking I might have to give it a thin wash coat of brown dye maybe... since it seems like it could possibly dominate the look of the guitar a little... or maybe I could try to dye just certain sections, by applying the dye with a cotton bud or something, and using the die to add detail...hmm...

Also, I think I might change the grain orientation in the inlay so its parralel with the neck.

i think it distracts from a great design, sorry!

I can't say I'm a fan, either.

Y'know, the more I look, the more I think I agree...

I do like the design, but it just doesnt really fit with the overall look of this particular guitar... the body design is all 'streamlined' and minimalistic, and the inlay just distracts.

Less is more I guess in this case.

I can always save the design for future.

I spent a fair while making the original vector drawing, so on the offchance that anyone likes it enough that they would consider using it, I'd be happy to email the drawing.

I like it looks awsome =D

Thanks, I do still like the inlay design, just not for this particular guitar I dont think.

The guitar would look awesome with no inlay at all IMO.

When I read this I fully agreed with it, no inlay would look cool, but the more I think about it, the more I think just a nice single 12th fret inlay would excellent, even just initials in nice handwriting or something. J

The guitar would look awesome with no inlay at all IMO.

When I read this I fully agreed with it, no inlay would look cool, but the more I think about it, the more I think just a nice single 12th fret inlay would excellent, even just initials in nice handwriting or something. J

I was going to use some thin aluminium rod for the dots- its about 1/2 the diameter of normal dots, but I think you may be right- I'll see how it looks without them.

And I have been trying to come up with a suitable 12th fret inlay. I think something small could look good, but I've not really succeeded in finding anything I like. I like warmoth geko inlay a lot, but I'd rather have something original. I considered initials too in fact, but I'm going to have those on the headstock.

Anyone got any suggestions for a 12th fret inlay? I'd be interested to hear them.

what about a zebra ?

fits the guitar well

just a zebra on the 11 , 12 and 13th frets , maybe a little bigger

The idea of a zebra did actually cross my mind- but I think I know what I'm going to do now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

PHTO0502.jpg

(I know the hardware isnt lined up accurately- just a mockup)

th_PHTO0504.jpgth_PHTO0503.jpg

Got a lot done in a farily short space of time last night- cut/ routed the body.... some minor tearout (the new, more expensive bit I bought seems to tear out more than the old one :D ). Nothing some files, sandpaper and tired arms wont cure though.

I've 90% finished the contouring on the front and back too. My arms are tired as hell now- zebrawood is a lot tougher than other woods I've worked with.

I varied the depth of the carving on the front and back, so that it had a deeper carve on the back where your stomach is (and a corresponding slightly shallower carve on the front in the same place), and a deeper carve on the front where your forearm is.

So basically it has a belly and forearm cut, but they blend in with the curves visually.

The curves dont really show up very well in the lighting in the photos, but I'm aiming to keep the lines as defined as possible, so when it's all polished and finished the curves should be nicely visible.

I'm not regretting buying a scraper btw- theyre way more useful than I would have imagined. I'm tempted to invest in a power sander at the moment too.

All seems to be going to plan, and progress is surprisingly rapid! I hope I can keep this up.

The idea of a zebra did actually cross my mind- but I think I know what I'm going to do now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What's your idea? (or is it a surprise?)

Nah no surprise;

th_asas.jpg

inlaydawfdasfasfasf.jpg

I chose it because its small and simple and shouldnt distract from the design and also because it should be easy to cut out- its basically just a 6 pointed star with a few circles subtracted.

To cut it out of the zebrawood im just going to drill 7 holes for the circles, then its just a few more straight cuts and its finished. Should be fool-proof (hopefully).

I'm stoked you decided to go with the single 12th fret inlay, given the wood and shape I think it looks best. I really like that inlay as well, it should be really cool looking once all completed. The project looks great so far and I can't believe how quick you whipped that body out, it looks perfect. Zebrawood is pretty tough, I find to be a strange wood as the grain seems to be going in all directions, lol. Once I find the right angle it planes great, but for every little section I have to find a different angle it for the grain, I dunno weird piece.

I've been thinking more and more about scrapers, especially after spending a lot of time reseaching acoustic builds and great builders, it seems to be a very popular tool. I understand it, but honestly I just never saw that it could work well, but I was very far off the mark and I plan on trying one as well, where did you get yours and what brand and type is it?

Keep the progress pics coming!! Lookin good! J

I'm stoked you decided to go with the single 12th fret inlay, given the wood and shape I think it looks best. I really like that inlay as well, it should be really cool looking once all completed. The project looks great so far and I can't believe how quick you whipped that body out, it looks perfect. Zebrawood is pretty tough, I find to be a strange wood as the grain seems to be going in all directions, lol. Once I find the right angle it planes great, but for every little section I have to find a different angle it for the grain, I dunno weird piece.

The way I carved out the larger sections quite rapidly was to draw the lines I was aiming for on the top and side of the body, and then take a saw and join the lines on the top with the ones on the side with a load of straight cuts (about 1.5-2 cm apart)(also I stopped a little short of the lines with the cuts so i didnt go too deep, then take a chisel and chisel out the bits inbetween the cuts. The cuts prevented the problem of tearout that zebrawood seems so prone to.

Then I used a fairly course rasp to tidy it up, and then I used a scraper to get it smooth. Also I was sure to hold the scraper constantly at the correct angle to get a flat surface on the carved surface.

I've been thinking more and more about scrapers, especially after spending a lot of time reseaching acoustic builds and great builders, it seems to be a very popular tool. I understand it, but honestly I just never saw that it could work well, but I was very far off the mark and I plan on trying one as well, where did you get yours and what brand and type is it?

Keep the progress pics coming!! Lookin good! J

Mines from stewmac and it's the one thats flat on the 2 long sides, and curved on the other 2 , with one convex side and one concave.

Thats a good idea, sawing off pieces to rough in the shape. The first time reading I had no idea what you meant (brain dead today) but once I went through again I got it and its a good idea. It turned out extremely well. It's definately not the easiest wood to work with. Like I said some areas are beautiful, they work perfectly, but others are nightmares. In my piece it seems the darker more concentration of black lines the better it worked and the white and random grain areas were bad. To me it looks as though you got a really nice piece, mine has way more white and random grain areas.

I think the bevels you cut really add to the cool look. As with most any wood, when bevel, carve, or shape it down the grain lines look different and in zebra this seems to look really cool. Man, I cannot wait to see what this thing looks like with some finish on it. As you said, you don't see the bevel like you would with the finish on. I can see it perfectly, but with the finish it will be so much more distinct and sharp. Its going to be so cool. Thanks for the tips on the scraper! I definately need to add that to the list. Best of luck Ben and keep the progress picture coming!!! J