Awilcox's Next Two Builds

Looking good Wilcox. Your guitars are really quality work. Congratulations.

I like the sunburst on that double cut. Will you also sunburst the headstock? I'm assuming you will, just with a thinner dark ring on the outside, correct?

You brought up something I've been meaning to ask. What is the proper degree of final sanding on binding? I guess the lacquer needs something to adhere to, so 400 grit then the finish buildup makes it smooth and no sanding marks remain?

Once again, great builds!

Looking good Wilcox. Your guitars are really quality work. Congratulations.

I like the sunburst on that double cut. Will you also sunburst the headstock? I'm assuming you will, just with a thinner dark ring on the outside, correct?

You brought up something I've been meaning to ask. What is the proper degree of final sanding on binding? I guess the lacquer needs something to adhere to, so 400 grit then the finish buildup makes it smooth and no sanding marks remain?

Once again, great builds!

Not sure what the "correct" grit is for final sanding of the binding is, but I found the 400 gave a very clean surface on the binding for finishing. For final sanding of the binding before starting the clearcoat I use a thin strip of 400 grit and sand only the binding, trying not to slide onto the wood as I sand because I find that any sawdust picked up on the sandpaper from the wood will lodge in the sanding scratches on the white binding and show through. Then i wipe it down good with a good clean dry rag.

Next time you're doing your final sanding, pick up some degreaser from an auto paint supply store. It's a cleaner that leaves no residue and is not caustic at all. It will take cocobolo dust out of maple pores with ease, which is worlds worse than anything getting into sanding scratches in plastic binding.

Looking good, btw. Very clean work.

peace,

russ

I did the sunbursts on the guitars on the weekend. They both turned out great, but the paint gun dripped some big drips of brown on the single cut (not real visible on the picture - but it is in real)...so I am going to have to sand that one down and refinish. It was my first time using a spray gun - they sure make doing a sunburst easy. Anyway, I should get all of the clearcoat on in another week and then I am going to let them dry for at least a month - should have the finished product pictures up in about 6 weeks.

GB3-159.jpg

GB3-160.jpg

GB3-157.jpg

GB3-158.jpg

Those are 2 of the best sunbursts I've ever seen! They look perfect.

Thanks, I was very timid to try a 2 color sunburst myself and actually thought about paying someone else to do it. My first thought was to use preval's to do the burst (as I use aerosols for my clears - not spray equipment), then my uncle offered to lend me his spray gun. I played with the gun for a bit using spraying thinner, and then shot the bursts. I set the gun to shoot a very fine spray and just kept going around the edge. When I got the width I wanted - I added a few drops of black dye to the lacquer and went around a few more times. A spray gun and compressor are definately on my "what to buy next" list. No more aerosols for me. The double cut is yellow with red/black burst and the double cut is abmber with brown black burst - but they look almost the same.

Yeah, holy crap those are perfect! I'm with Ben on this, they are probably the best I've ever seen, just flawless. Thats terrible to hear that you had a drop, I can imagine that is something you must learn the hard way, either way I can only imagine your skills will improve, so I must say that I am anxious to see the refinish, lol. I can't get over how well those turned out, headstocks and all are just flawless, looks so amazing with that binding too. J

First off: very, very, very nice job!

same wood, different part of the tree I guess.

Nope, different species of mahogany, your neck appears to be Sapele.

Second: you really can't identify mahogany types based on photographs, definitely not photographs of almost finished guitars. I've got honduran that looks like khaya, khaya that looks like sapele, sapele that looks like everything else, and any other combination you wish to think up. There are general trends, yes, but it's just as likely to be a bit of wood from a different part of the tree.

Thanks, it was extremely painful sanding the top on the double cut last night - but I am back to bare wood. It was quite easy to sand off with 150 grit, this must be because the lacquer was only on for a couple of days and not real hard yet. I thought about changing the finish on this guitar because it was so close to the other one in looks, but I already have the headstock done and the control cavity cover, so I think I will reapply the same finish - hopefully without the drips this time!

I finally got the single cut restained and shot the burst again. I went a little wider with the black this time - but you can still see the grain through it even though it looks like you can't in the picture (bad lighting). I also finished the control cavitiy covers to match the tops. I have about 5 more coats of clear to go and then the wait for the nitro to cure begins.

GB3-170.jpg

GB3-169.jpg

On the LP-ish one, the way the headstock mimicks the body without being too overt or "obnoxious" about it-- simply genius.

Thanks, I am glad somebody finally got that - I tried to design the headstock to have the same flow to it as the body on the single cut, and then I used it on the double cut too. I thought about using a double point headstock on the doublecut, but I thout that it looked too "metal" for the guitar.

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got these two guitars buffed out and assembled. I entered the Double Cut in the GOTM this month. Now I can start at buffing out the flyng V!

100_1584.jpg

Single Cut Front

Double Cut Front

Double Cut Headstock

Double Cut Body

Single Cut Body

Single Cut Back

Double Cut Back

Double cut no flash

Single cut no flash