I just strung the beautiful F series and this just happened:

IMAG0001-8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/edd.../IMAG0002-8.jpg

The wings and neck are moving! and i don't know how to stop this and if the wings will completely unglue and the bass will be ruined or what... :D

Obviously this is caused by the tension of the strings, it is a 35" bass, but hell it's neck thru body and the wings should move with the neck, or at least prevent it from moving...

My guess...

Inferior/faulty glue joints.

i agree what glue did u use?

I used high grade wood glue, not very different to titebond ( it even smells the same) I used plenty of glue, and i have always used that brand of glue and this is the first time this happens :D will it stop moving?? or with it get totally effed up??

My guess...

Inferior/faulty glue joints.

i agree what glue did u use?

I used high grade wood glue, not very different to titebond ( it even smells the same) I used plenty of glue, and i have always used that brand of glue and this is the first time this happens :D will it stop moving?? or with it get totally effed up??

actually it looks like the paint is shrinking around the glue joints. that happened to a couple of my builds. for a while you couldnt see it but a few days later you could see the glue lines.

Happened to my glue joints on my neckthrough, too. I'm chalking it up to bad clamping, which I seem to be having a streak with :D I dunno if it'd be the glue, but I'm willing to bet that mine happened because I only used 2 clamps to glue both wings on. Luckily, it's not nearly as noticeable on the front, but still something to improve upon.

how old is the glue, was the temperature very warm/very cold/very changable, did you clamp it too tight & squeeze all the glue out?...just a few of the many questions that are going to haunt you at night :D

I really hope that it's just the paint moving around the glue lines. I've had that too but I expect that it's more likely with crackle paint as it rarely cures completely hard.

....wait a minute...is it crackle paint or just a reflection?

My guess is that the glue is fine but the wood was not properly seasoned. If wood is improperly dried it will move a lot. One thing to keep in mind is that even properly dried woods need to acclimate before using them. I like to let my woods sit for at least a year after I purchase it unless I know that the supplier is seasoning it well. If so then I still let it sit for at least 3 months. Most of my wood has been in my possession for 3-4 years before I use it and most was sold well seasoned to begin with. This is the best way to ensure that the wood is stable enough to use.

~David

Well the woods for the bass are not new, the purpleheart and mahogany for the neck are like 4 years old, and so are the wings, in fact , the wings belong to the old bass that had it's neck broken. I don't think i tightened the clamps that much, but it does seem like the joint was glue starved.

The paint is fine, the wood has moved about 1 mm ... and i don't get it, since it's a neck thru body bass and the bass is completely mounted on the thru body section, no part of the bridge touches the wings...funny part is, the neck hasn't moved a bit...it's straight as an arrow

and no, it's not a crackle paint job! hehehe it's just the reflection of the wall :D

so should i strip the bass, break the joint, reglue and refinish?

Edited by eddiewarlock

There is something about PVA glues that people like to call the "creep".

The joined details tend to "slide" over the glue between them. Under pressure PVA joints would show the "creep" more often but it could happen to all kinds of PVA joints.

I guess that your problem may be caused by the PVA glue's "creep".

I'd use epoxy for this particular job - it's freaking rock solid. It never moves.

As a matter of fact I saw sparkles coming out of my router's bit when I was routing over the seam of an epoxy-joined wood blank. It is that hard.

Edited by DrummerDude

Yup, i'm even thinking of using epoxy for solid paint jobs, it's jsut that i hate epoxy, it's such a messy glue...and smelly..ugh but for this bass if my bass player says go for iti'll use epoxy to glue back the wing. A shame cuz the bass looks incredible but what are you gonna do if you want perfection? Ñ=

i wasnt having a go - should have remembered to put that smiley in sorry.

But there isnt really any need to start adding stuff like dowels or biscuits because a nice but join is more than good enough. I havnt tried dowels but i have heard people say that they can make a situation worse because the dowel is just as likely to move as the woods are -imagine 3 pieces of wood expanding and contracting rather than two

doesnt wood glue not stick well to wood glue. maybe you didnt sand or plane enough before gluing the old wings on to the new wood.

No they were very well planed and i did sand them a bit with 80 grit sandpaper :D i think it was the glue, and the weather maybe, extremely hot and humid...