Shallowest Truss Rod?

I've been using StewMac Hot Rods, but now I'm looking for something (2-way) that doesn't need as deep a channel. (Hot Rods need 7/16".)

LMI's is an option (3/8" deep), but they're a bit expensive at over $24.

Does anyone know of a US source for Gotoh's 2-way truss rod?

Any suggestions for others?

I looked at a few places and didn't find any. For some reason I though Allied Lutherie had them, but they didn't. Grizzly sells some gotoh truss rods but I think solely for acoustic at 15 and 16 inches and still require the 3/8"s slot. They do however have another truss rod they make, two way u channel style that only requires a 1/4" slot I think in width though. Not sure though, but this one might require the channel with filler strip thing, but I don't know, maybe you can look and ask others if that could work, I'm not sure. Here is a Grizzly Truss link. Hope you figure something out. Good luck. J

Rich, both you a few other people have mentioned those Allied rods as being very nice, probably what I will grab for next time. When I mentioned not finding them at Allied I was speaking of the Gotoh truss rods, for some reason I had thought that they were Gotoh, but I believe I mistaking those rods for the Grizzly ones.

Rick I have a feeling you won't find the Grizzlys to be any less than 3/8" deep that LMI or Allied carry, maybe but I doubt it. I was thinking about it and it seems it would be tough to make it much shorter because you would have to shrink the other measurements to keep it from turning in the slot and shrinking them further would make it less strong. I am curious to see what Grizzly says, they are actually really good about customer service. When asking a question about my bandsaw they responded seriously within a couple hours, but I wrote the email at like 4am. I believe they say 24 hours on questions, but not sure if that is for everything or already purchased stuff. The good thing though for truss rods with Allied or Grizzly, is the price difference, you can see how much cheaper they are. Also, I can tell you that a number of people(experienced) have mentioned the Allied rods being very nice and prefer them to any other like Rich said, which says a lot I think.

Edited by jmrentis

The flat bar I had always considered important for a truss rod. I had needed to order somethings at Stewmac so I got a few other things like a hotrod, ect. I realized before I had bought it that it didn't have the flat bar, but based its reputation I figured it would work. All in all it looks fine, fits well to the measurements offered, actually I had to widen the slot a tad otherwise I would have needed to hammer it in, lol. Anyhow, I'm definately looking to go Allied next round for two reasons, one I have now tried the hotrods so I can compare and two: as I said a number of people mentioned the Allied and LMI rods as being great. It seems that the flat bar would add strength and stability to the rods, comments?. Before buying the hotrod I basically assumed that all two ways would come with a flatbar. J

I used the Stewmac rods for the first few builds, but have moved onto the LMI dual action rods which look basically the same as the Allied rods above. The only nag I have is the weld sometime needs a little sanding to clean it up, but overall a very nice low profile rod which is worth the extra cost for a great solid item. Hell, it's not like we have to put ten of them into one instrument, so a few dollars (or whatever) more doesn't hurt much :-D

Allparts has some nice thin double acting truss rods. One side is round and the other is flat. (They look like the Allied's rods)The round part installs down with the flat on top. I looked on Allparts site and didn't see any truss rods but I was calling in another order and asked if they had truss rods and they said quickly, "Oh yes". Apparently Allparts carries quite a few items that are not represented on their web page. Now I know to ask if I don't see it.

I bought about 5 truss rods from another builder, which I believe to be the grizzly H6031. I used 4 of them, and like them. (#5 is still under construction) They are pretty shallow compared to hotrods. I broke a hotrod, and since then, I've decided to NEVER use a hotrod again... Why should I pay a lot more money for a rod that is weaker?

I've never heard good things about Gotoh rods though- I like gotoh hardware- bridges and tuners and things, I thing they're good quality for a great price, but I wouldnt use one of their truss rods from what I've heard from others.

Its good to hear good things about the grizzly rods. So far I like the company a lot and have only heard good things about current products and service. I know years ago it wasn't what it is today from what I've read. Their customer service department was quite amazing to be honest, the response time was amazing as Rick saw. I have been quite curious as to their whole luthiery section, from the looks a lot of the stuff looks nice. I definately plan on checking out more of their products. I will likely go allied next for truss rods, then try grizzly. Since I've tried the hotrods, using those others will give me a better sense of what I like better. The hotrods seem decent enough, but I wasn't highly impressed or anything. Anyhow, thanks for the input on the grizzly rods. J

EDIT: Hmmm even thinner huh? Is that the thinnest you've found Rick? .0575 smaller than the grizzly abouts. Any decisions on what you will go with Rick? Anyone know about the allparts rods?

Edited by jmrentis

Has anyone used to double expanding rods from warmoth? They don't look nearly as thick as the hot rods, but look like they work the same way?

I have used both the Warmoth rod and I have a Grizzly rod in a neck that is going on my strat project. Warmoth calls theirs a double acting trussrod, but the nut just threads on. The one that I have WILL NOT impart an upbow. It works like a single action truss rod to me. The Grizzly is double acting. Hard to explain how it works, but if you had one in hand, you could see how it does.

I haven't measured both of them, but dimensionally, the Warmoth and the Grizzly are very close.

I have been quite curious as to their whole luthiery section, from the looks a lot of the stuff looks nice. I definately plan on checking out more of their products.

I took some time to check out their stuff and it looks pretty good. My only beef and it's a minor one, is that I wish they had more of a fretwire selection. Otherwise I like what they have. Even the acoustic kit is intriguing to me. My guess is that since the president of the company is a luthier he won't sell stuff that is junk.

I have used both the Warmoth rod and I have a Grizzly rod in a neck that is going on my strat project. Warmoth calls theirs a double acting trussrod, but the nut just threads on. The one that I have WILL NOT impart an upbow. It works like a single action truss rod to me. The Grizzly is double acting. Hard to explain how it works, but if you had one in hand, you could see how it does.

I haven't measured both of them, but dimensionally, the Warmoth and the Grizzly are very close.

The Warmoth works like a single action rod because that's what it is. Warmoth does not call their rod double acting. They call it double expanding, because of the upper/lower construction, but it's definitely a single acting rod. It works like the TRST one-way rod from Luthier's Mercantile.

Is that the thinnest you've found Rick? .0575 smaller than the grizzly abouts. Any decisions on what you will go with Rick? Anyone know about the allparts rods?

I'll either try Grizzly's or Allparts' next time I think. I still have a couple Hot Rods so I'll probably use them first.

Grizzly is a tool supplier.

I would guess that they're "testing the waters" for luthier supplies. The president of the company is one hell of a luthier... and I think that its because of him, they want to see if they can build a customer base from those of use who have been using the usual expensive suppliers.

To date I've only placed one order with grizzly. I expect to place many more. I was very satisfied with the products and customer service, and time of delivery. Price was pretty damn good too.

To whoever complained about grizzly fretwire selection..... at least it's prebent..... Order straight wire from stew, and for just $75 more, they'll sell you a fret bender..... :D :D B) ridiculous.....