Sharkfin

Thanks!

It's padauk. The padauk stripes were a last-minute addition, actually. It was going to be black limba/flamed maple/black limba, but when I dry fit the strips together, I thought it needed some contrast to bring out the flamed maple.

The three-color flamed maple on the face of the headstock was a lucky coincidence. :D

SoundAt11 hooked me up with that piece of black limba. I glued up another neck blank with a similar piece, but it's black limba/padauk/black limba.

[Edit: Yeah, some kind of oil finish. Most likely Tru-Oil.]

Edited by Rick500

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Very nice contouring. Me likes.

Body shape is a little weird, but in a good way.

Thanks. Yeah, weird was on purpose. :D

The shape turned out a little more radical than the first draft of the design, after a couple of revisions necessary to make it more playable and to make sure the neck joint was substantial enough.

Wow that looks amazing!

I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Thanks! I only really can work on it during the weekends, but I'm eager to see it finished too.

Nice job, Rick. Very clean work, nice body shape, really cool looking neck, and very pretty woods. Good work in that neck joint, that's tight. I like that idea of the Limba with the Mahogany, you don't see that often, but the Limba has a smoother feel than Mahogany, so it should be faster. Plus, those laminate strips look excellent.

Will

Nice job, Rick. Very clean work, nice body shape, really cool looking neck, and very pretty woods. Good work in that neck joint, that's tight. I like that idea of the Limba with the Mahogany, you don't see that often, but the Limba has a smoother feel than Mahogany, so it should be faster. Plus, those laminate strips look excellent.

Will

Thanks. I take it you recognize that piece of black limba. :D

The body was originally going to be black limba too, but a suitable piece was nowhere to be found. I love that piece of mahogany though.

• 4 weeks later...
I like that two-tone design as well, I hope you don't lose much of it when it comes to tapering the fretboard off. The walnut I bought has the same contrasting patches, I hope some of it shows through on the neck carve :D

Didn't lose too much of it. :D

Fretboard, rough tapered but not yet attached

Got the pickup cavities routed today too; they need one more pass to make them about 1/16" deeper.

pickup_cavities.jpg

Thanks. And feel free to copy away. :D

I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread or not, but the body design did indeed begin life as a tracing of my Les Paul. :D [Edit: I looked back and found that I did mention that before after all. :)]

It went through a couple of redesigns though, and no part of it is exactly the same as a Les Paul now. A friend mentioned to me that the bass side horn looked a lot like a shark's dorsal fin, and I decided to play that up and run with the whole shark idea. There will be at least a couple more shark-inspired details in it before it's finished.

Edited by Rick500

Looking good! I'm keen to see this one finished.

Yeah, I did see Perry's shark guitar. Maybe one day I'll be that good. :D

Funny about the fretboard: this is the second board I've made from that piece of cocobolo with the white wood in the corner. People either love it or hate it ("Love the two tone look," "Didn't you have enough wood to cut that white part out?"). Personally, I like to let the wood help design the piece, and I try to keep as many unique characteristics of the wood as possible.

There are a bunch more pics here.

The roundover is 1/4".

And thanks, Ben! :D

Funny about the fretboard: this is the second board I've made from that piece of cocobolo with the white wood in the corner. People either love it or hate it ("Love the two tone look," "Didn't you have enough wood to cut that white part out?"). Personally, I like to let the wood help design the piece, and I try to keep as many unique characteristics of the wood as possible.

It goes well with your "spalt?" at the neck heel :D

Nie stuff Rick, its looking amazing. Everythings coming out nice and clean! I really like themed guitars, especially when they don't go too far beyond theme and become more of a gimmick. Gimmicks are sometimes ok, but they usually get old super fast, where as a well done theme rarely gets old. I saw your shark fin cavity and thought that was really cool as well, thats where you can put your sharkfin soup! Man, my jokes have been just sad, lol.

Anyhow, really diggin' the shark theme. I studied marine biology, mainly sharks as a kid just because I found it so interesting, so these themes have a special appeal for me. Keep up the great work and keep the pictures coming. Also, is your theme going to play apart of your inlay design or are you going standard? J

I had aspirations to be a marine biologist myself, as a kid. :D

I used to write for a couple of aquarium hobby magazines, and breed African cichlids for local pet shops... I had a rack of 12 ten-gallon growout tanks in my two-bedroom apartment, as well as three 55 gallon tanks in the living room at one point. It was fun. I need to get back into it one of these days. :D

And thanks for the kind comments about the guitar.

Nice woods and a pretty cool body design! I want to see how that will look with pickups and hardware on it.

Hardware and pickups temporarily in place (pickup cavities need to be cut a tiny bit deeper):

body_w_hardware_2.jpg

(I haven't cut the cavity for the pickup switch yet, but it's going to be done Les Paul -style, but without a trim ring.)

Edited by Rick500

• 1 month later...