Sharkfin

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa whoa whoa....pretty wood, but will the spalt hold up to the tensions of a neck build?

Carl, you wood newb! Limba has a great deal of color variation, although it kind of look likes how the spalt figure grows in maple (and other woods), it's not a weakness in the wood. At least not that I can tell, it seems just as strong! Here's a piece I'll be using within the next year for an 8-string bass build. It's a little too flatsawn or else I would have used it for an acoustic soundboard.

Limbacloseup.jpg

edit: Also, kickass work on the neck build! Those laminates go very well together.

Edited by Jon

Thanks everyone :D

I was kind of thinking it was something like that, but Geo hypnomatised me into the spalt mindset! I would love to have some nicely "figured" limba for my wife's LP build, but given that zebrano is easier for us to get ahold of we've chosen that instead.

i always like the limba with the orange streaks - but if you look carefully you will find a little bug hole. its the equivelent to ambrosia maples bug induced discolouration.

Should be fine unless you had loads of bug holes in the neck shaft!!

Very nice Rick! I can't to see this one come to life. I believe I saw this limba somewhere else as well, not glued up though, hmm maybe not, either way wicked stuff man. Just curious, What is the width across of that headstock? I'm trying to size a design and wanted to know the width of the blank, I just don't want to add ears on mine if I'm just oversizing the design ya know, lol. Looks very nice btw not only the limba, but all the laminates, very cool combo. Anyhow, keep up the wicked work Rick and you better end up with lots of pics of that limba progress and get a progress page open soon. Best of luck man. J

I haven't found any holes adjacent to the orange coloration, but there are a few in other places. Nothing major; it won't be a big deal. I can always stick a 2mm abalone dot in there. (Hmm... I was joking, but now I'm actually thinking about it. :D)

Thanks, jmrentis, and yeah, I think I posted a pic of that black limba (from SoundAt11) before I glued it up.

• 4 weeks later...
so what did i miss? why are you calling this "sharkfin"? great looking rough cut on the volute by the way

Thanks.

"Sharkfin" because someone mentioned to me that the bass side horn is reminiscent of a shark's dorsal fin. I carried that through the headstock (I don't know if I posted pics yet, but there will be an overlay on part of the headstock with a sharkfin shape), and it'll show up in a few more places by the time I'm finished with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice woods and a pretty cool body design! I want to see how that will look with pickups and hardware on it.

Whoa whoa whoa....pretty wood, but will the spalt hold up to the tensions of a neck build?

Carl, you wood newb! Limba has a great deal of color variation, although it kind of look likes how the spalt figure grows in maple (and other woods), it's not a weakness in the wood. At least not that I can tell, it seems just as strong! Here's a piece I'll be using within the next year for an 8-string bass build. It's a little too flatsawn or else I would have used it for an acoustic soundboard.

Limbacloseup.jpg

edit: Also, kickass work on the neck build! Those laminates go very well together.

Hey Jon, no pics of the bookmatch of that yet? LOL:)) That is one nice looking piece of wood.

MK

Looking really good, Rick! Do you have a full frontal of the body shape? It looks like a Les Paul with the lower cut followed through into the upper cut, like a PRS. I'd like to see some more shots; I could have sworn that I talked to someone threw up plans of a similar looking build a while ago.

Maybe it was you... :D But I don't think my 20-year old brain is giving out on me that fast.

Yeah, it well could have been me. I did post a pic of the body plan on paper a while back.

And I did start with a Les Paul shape and then modified it with the "swoop" between the horns, then modified the body length a little, and changed the lower bout shape to fit in with the length change.

There are a bunch more pics of the whole process here.

Edited by Rick500

is it just me or am i the only one who thinks

YOUR NECK IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!. the laminate is black limba/paduk, or bloodwood?/maple is an amazing color combination. what finish are you doing on it? i reccomend an oil and wax :D which would jsut help increase the bueaty. also that peice of black limba is amazing

....i think i might just get wood from wood.....cant wait to see it come alive!