Aussie Dealer - Buyer Beware

just opened up a pack containing a droptop bookmatched set of qld maple to be thouroughly dissapointed. I received it from a well known and I thought highly respected queensland supplier of guitar parts, tonewood etc.

the boards were described as 1/4" and in parts are as thin 4mil - there is tearout all over 1 side of one piece and no matter how i cut it, it will never make a decent bookmatched pair

unfortunately i never unpacked it when it arrived which was in april so i guess i cant go flying off the handle at them requesting a refund or exchange etc...why didt i open em up when they arrived?? well i was pretty busy and i was led to belive they had a top reputation so i just put it away for later trusting it would right.

i paid $65 for the set and when I compare it to the superb sets of big leaf maple i am bringing in from canada at around US$55.00 a set landed i wonder why i bothered with these guys and i for sure wont be buying from them again

Just be carefull who you buyin off specially from qld - if you are thinking of it PM me for who not to buy off

posted this on another forum and i thought here would a good place to air it as well - i know theres a few aussies hang out in pgf

So can I find out who the supplier is or do I have to PM you?

I never even heard of local guys selling tops besides Gilet down in Sydney. I also usually have my stuff imported from the states and Canada. Wouldn't mind having a look at whoever this is though, he might have good stuff if you check it out in person.

So can I find out who the supplier is or do I have to PM you?

I never even heard of local guys selling tops besides Gilet down in Sydney. I also usually have my stuff imported from the states and Canada. Wouldn't mind having a look at whoever this is though, he might have good stuff if you check it out in person.

sure pm me - any one else as well - its a hot topic at the minute

i emailed in a complaint to let em know about it and got a pretty over the top response threatening legal action

virtually told me f#$*k off......i will be posting some pics of the boards in a day or so with more detail

you guys can make up up your own minds

keep watching

From what you described it sounds like the wood is not what you ordered, although I have no idea what the description of this wood was(from the dealer). The Canadian dealer aside, is $65 an inexpensive drop top set in your area(and did $65 include shipping charges?)? I have no idea what grade the set would be based on what you have told us, maybe you could let us know what specifically was advertised, so that we know what to look for when you show pictures. You mentioned that the dealer(that you don't want to name here) is well respected. If they are well respected as you say, then how did they get a good reputation if they are conducting business as you say they are? I guess I am just holding my opinion until I understand the situation a little better, as some things just don't add up. One thing I REALLY don't understand is why you posting this message before you had contacted the dealer, and tried to resolve the situation(especially if as you say this is a respected dealer). Have you informed the dealer that you would be posting information about your order on building boards? Have you mentioned the pricing you recieved from the Canadian dealer in your conversations with the Queensland dealer?

Peace,Rich

his pice was A$65 ex freight - canadian price is A$55 landed here - i didnt discuss prices outside australia

the descrption i got from the sales guy....

"" These blanks have been air dried since 2001 so I can guarantee they are

very dry and ready to work, just be sure to use sharp tools as normal

for very flamed wood. They are the best I've seen, no defects, figured

across the whole piece, unfortunately we have been told by our suppliers

that there is no more of the very figured wood left after this batch.""

also it was listed at 1/4" thickness and much of one board is well below and as little as 4.5mm

the dealer did have a high gloss reputation

i have contacted the dealer about the issue and i was threatened with legal action and told "to not buy again"

if he had have taken a more conciliatory approach i wouldn't be going on with this

its certainly not the approach i would take with a disgruntled client - all he did was throw petrol on the fire

Edited by ray

his pice was A$65 ex freight - canadian price is A$55 landed here - i didnt discuss prices outside australia

the descrption i got from the sales guy....

"" These blanks have been air dried since 2001 so I can guarantee they are

very dry and ready to work, just be sure to use sharp tools as normal

for very flamed wood. They are the best I've seen, no defects, figured

across the whole piece, unfortunately we have been told by our suppliers

that there is no more of the very figured wood left after this batch.""

also it was listed at 1/4" thickness

the dealer did have a high gloss reputation

i have contacted the local dealer and i was threatened with legal action and told "to not buy again"

if he had have taken a more conciliatory approach i wouldn't be going on with this

its certainly not the approach i would take with a disgruntled client - all he did was throw petrol on the fire

Fair enough. So this is supposed to be a high grade set(best he has seen, no defects, highly figured, and well dried). A picture of the set would be cool when you get a chance.

Peace Rich

Hi Ray,

Getting poor service stinks at the best of times. I am really surprised at the response you got. Did you email them pics of the lumber? I reckon I bought one of these at the same time you did....it was about $65 and was 6mm or so....I must have been lucky as mine is a stunner...I used it on a V kinda project on a reclaimed mahogany body I scored.....

DSCN3292.jpg

I suggest sending them some photos as I have always received excellent service from this mob.

Good luck with it :D

To their credit Kim from Hancock Guitars / Australian Luthier Supplies have contacted me this morning and offered to exchange the boards.

Thanks Kim ALS will go on my list of recomended suppliers next upload

Its disappointing Hancock Guitars wasnt given the opportunity to rectify this problem before their name was dragged all over the net (even if they werent named, there were more than enought 'hints' and offers of pm's). They didnt know, nor could they help out the original poster, until he had already told everyone how 'bad' they were (and then backflipped).

As a supplier himself, i wonder how he would feel if the situation was reversed?

Hancock have been around longer than most in Australia (although not the first to sell parts online like they claim), and have always helped people i know and talk to. There is a REASON they have survived so long.

From what you described it sounds like the wood is not what you ordered, although I have no idea what the description of this wood was(from the dealer). The Canadian dealer aside, is $65 an inexpensive drop top set in your area(and did $65 include shipping charges?)? I have no idea what grade the set would be based on what you have told us, maybe you could let us know what specifically was advertised, so that we know what to look for when you show pictures. You mentioned that the dealer(that you don't want to name here) is well respected. If they are well respected as you say, then how did they get a good reputation if they are conducting business as you say they are? I guess I am just holding my opinion until I understand the situation a little better, as some things just don't add up. One thing I REALLY don't understand is why you posting this message before you had contacted the dealer, and tried to resolve the situation(especially if as you say this is a respected dealer). Have you informed the dealer that you would be posting information about your order on building boards? Have you mentioned the pricing you recieved from the Canadian dealer in your conversations with the Queensland dealer?

Peace,Rich

I agree with Perry, dragging this out on a board before it was able to be resolved, or using a board as a pressure tactic can be a really lame thing to do. I don't think or would certainly hope that was not your intent. However even after you say all is good you have given the dealer a black eye.

Peace,Rich

Edit; After recieving a message from Ray. I really feel that this forum is not a tool for members to use to put pressure on dealers, especially when they have not exhausted all other avenues.

It was cool of ALS to overlook their policy(purchaser has 7 days to contact them if there is any issue with items purchased, this is clearly stated in their policy and Ray was fully aware of this). I have no experience with ALS nor would I ever have reason to deal with them, but I would hope this topic shows their customer service in a positive light. As Perry mentioned there is a reason why they have been in business for a long time.

Edited by fryovanni

• 11 months later...

I just bought a QLD maple body blank from the same place, hasn't arrived yet, but it was only an hour ago :D

To change the topic, how does QLD maple sound? ALS says it sounds similar to mahogany...... can't wait till it arrives!

Oh, and nice to see so many Aussies on here! :D

I just bought a QLD maple body blank from the same place, hasn't arrived yet, but it was only an hour ago :D

To change the topic, how does QLD maple sound? ALS says it sounds similar to mahogany...... can't wait till it arrives!

Oh, and nice to see so many Aussies on here! :D

I am thinking of getting some QLD maple Seems it is useful for necks and bodies.

On the subject of other Aussie woods, I have tried Tassie oak for a neck and it was good to work with, and sounds a bit darker than the maple (not QLD) neck that I had on the guitar earlier.

Here's an interesting list from a wood supplier (the url should take you to a list of aussie timbers filtered for the ones useful for musical instruments)

http://www.lazaridestimberagencies.com/austimber.php?S=1

I am thinking of getting some QLD maple Seems it is useful for necks and bodies.

On the subject of other Aussie woods, I have tried Tassie oak for a neck and it was good to work with, and sounds a bit darker than the maple (not QLD) neck that I had on the guitar earlier.

Here's an interesting list from a wood supplier (the url should take you to a list of aussie timbers filtered for the ones useful for musical instruments)

http://www.lazaridestimberagencies.com/austimber.php?S=1

ALS just sent me THE MOST AWESOME QLD maple body blank, it's the most handsome chunk of wood I've ever seen. Quality and workmanship is top notch, and it only took 4 days to get down to Melbourne. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

ALS just sent me THE MOST AWESOME QLD maple body blank, it's the most handsome chunk of wood I've ever seen. Quality and workmanship is top notch, and it only took 4 days to get down to Melbourne. I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

This is the norm for ALS thankfully. They are a very reliable supplier for the oz members and do a great job.

I also know Ray quite well and very much understand his frustrations with suppliers at times. All has worked out well in that regard.

I've bought many figured blanks from them and find them great, although most are in storage for future builds and I've got to say the price has increased at least two-fold within 18 months. Supply and demand rules all I guess..................

Here's the first I bought , Ae3

past thread

I'm tipping this blank is pretty similar to yours ?

The title of this thread does not paint a positive picture and is not going to do the supplier any good,

and I think it's only fair if any more positive discussion be made about this, it should be made in a separate thread

which doesn't denegrate this supplier. If it was my business ,I would feel the same way.......... cheers all, Stu

MAN! I thought mine was beautiful! mines not figured due to the two-fold jump in prices, but it is quarter sawn, and the grain and colour is just, well you know very well yourself. I agree with your blue statement, this thread should be re-done with a more appropriate name.