Bad Tone Day

gibsonsg26

This stinks im having a wikid bad day with my tone the amp is just not sounding right today. Its a 1970's traynor bass amp and i dont think the tubes have ever been changed so it doesnt always sound its best. I just cannot get a good sound today and its driving me nuts! anyone else have similar experiences?

Having a bad tone day doesn't always mean spending money to make things better.

Go do something else, come back to it tomorrow, probably be fine. :D

Traynor YBA-1?

Great amp. :D

You should have it serviced tho, if you have never had it done, it needs it by now.

The fact that it still has it's original tubes ytoday is a huge compliment to it's daddy, Pete Traynor, and his designs.

Might need to give your ears a rest, silly as that sounds. When I was working on mixing a lot. I really became aware of how your hearing can change from day to day. Loud music, or anything loud will limit your ability to hear clearly until your ears have time to recover. This has the effect of attenuating out certain frequencies. This makes it harder to hear certain frequencies and you try to compensate for what is present, but you are not hearing as well. Try leaving things alone for a couple days(don't allow your ears to be exposed to loud noises-say lawn mowers, your buddys cranked up car stereo or what have ya). Then go back and listen to how your equipment sounds. You may just be supprised, by what was there but you just couldn't hear. It will kinda make you think about guys that are "tone freaks" yet play extreamly loud(and no ear protection) :D .

Peace,Rich

I took mine to an amp guy and he told me as long as the tubes test strong,you should keep them,because they don't make tubes that well anymore..

I have a big bag of 6L6, 6v6, and 12AX7 tubes that I took out of old military radios. I did some swapping with new tubes and the old tubes really do make an improvement in the sound, it's not just a bunch of hooey.

The amp tech took mine and swapped the cord from a two way to a 3 way...problem solved.

You should really consider that amp carefully.they are great amps and all you need to do is take them to a GOOD amp tech,and for not much money atrt all they can be re-capped and have a new cord installed...

+1 on the re-cap and 3-wire grounded cord. The caps in that thing are probably more worn out than the tubes, and that'll affect your sound more than 30 year old tubes that are still serviceable. The new cord is a no-brainer.

Also, it's a good idea to pick up a wall outlet tester from the hardware store and use it every time you gig or plug your amp in to any outlet. They can save your life and gear!

thanks guys mayby i will buy it then

Yeah, don't overlook a good amp just because it needs a little work. The three-wire plug and re-capping are very standard jobs for older amps, and any good tech should get you fixed right up. I wouldn't mess with that amp until you get the grounding sorted, though. You wouldn't stick you finger in an outlet, right? No? Then you shouldn't be playing on an amp with bad grounding either.

• 2 months later...

Uhhh...you have a deathwish by the sounds of it, man!

I had a bad tone day today at practice, but then I realised I wasn't chunking into the strings hard enough - after that realisation I was growling back up on top :-D Your mood changes the way you play, or at least it does me. I wasn't concentrating and the mood just wasn't there.

i think i might not buy it because it doesnt ground right and zaps me and my band mates all the time weve gotten zapped pretty bad and i dont want a fatal accident

Should get the amp checked it definately has a fault. Also you should look into using a portable GFI it could save your life. They run around $50 .

:D