2nd Neckthrough Sg

Hello everybody,

It´s been a long time since my last post, I've built and finished three more guitars so I will expect your comments.

This is the first guitar I build with collaboration, the guitar now belongs to a friend of mine that plays guitar in a rock band. The name of her band is Valium and she asked me to build one especial SG for her so we started to have ideas and drawings and this is what we came up: a neckthrough SG made of mahogany and rosewood with special inlays (stars, planets and pills). The hardware is gonna be modified but is essencially nickel and you can split the humbuckers to act like singles (coil tap).

The color is special too, it's based on a Bouganbillia flower (I don¿t know if it spell like that :D ) and it has a little of a sunburst, very subtle. She is an artist and from the begining she wanted that color. At the end I think it looks amazing.

sgv1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27263073@N00/...57594413542742/

and the rest of the set, included some pics of the process:

Well I hope you like this one, the fretboard is a little bit odd, some might think, but we use the inlay art of my friend's new cd so there you go... Oh and the guitar sounds really good, pure SG magic, it's well balanced and very light. I think any guitat would beneficiate with the neckthrough construction, the neck it's not weak and responds really well. It has very rich tones and subtle nuances like the special ringing and overtones. She's really happy so I'm happy too.

Cheers

Alberto

Hey thanks for the kinds words, it really makes me want to build more guitars.

I also think that the SG's should be neckthrough, I read somewhere that they wanted to build it that way but it was very expensive so they kept with the weak neck union. When you rout the neck pickup cavity you inmediately know that you are indeed making the union less stronger. That's the main reason I built it like a neckthrough, and luckily it sustains really well and balances nicely.

About the inlays, well she's a professional so she guides herself from the side dots and the Galaxy inlays does not confuse her. But I get the point Elysianguitars.

The main color was "Wine Red" stain, and then added a little bit of red and blue. I'm glad that it came out a nice color, and it suits the mahogany prefectly.

Me and her debated a little bit about using a pickguard or not and we thought it would be better if we didn't put anuthing, that way you can see the finish and the beaty of the wood.

Thanks again for your comments , cheers

Alberto

Thanks eddiewarlock, I already finished that Junior I just need to take some pics and post them on the forum. I appreciate your words, really.

Muzz the guitar would not have a lot of modifications, I think the owner is thinking on changing the pickups and she's very happy with the coil split, she says it isn't no Strat but she digs the new sounds (she always plays humbuckers).

Yeah Maiden, it would have been a crime to put a pickguard on that one, it looks so good without one, sometimes I wonder how would have look like is she would have use the stainless steel pickguard she had thought in first place :D

cheers

Alberto