Rebuilding

ngaa

I need help deciding the finish on this guitar.

I know I'm not painting, or staining, but should I go for high gloss, or a satin finish, and should I fill the mahogany with black epoxy? or what else should I use to fill the grain.

ALSO, should I do two 1/4" strips of wenge between the body and the neck joins? or just leave that with maple touching the mahogany.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The aesthetic touches are always up to the builder, you should think that over some more until you come up with something that will please you every time you pick up the guitar. As for the grain filling, you can use many things. I personally like the look of Mahogany with black grain filler. You could use black CA glue or a blackened epoxy to fill the grain. Test on scrap so you can get the best results when grain filling the real deal.

Are you sure you want to be cutting, carving, an routing the body wings even though they're not glued onto the guitar? Any work you do only seems problematic, a hindrance to gluing the wings on when you finally get to that step. I hope you saved the cutoffs from the wings to help when you glue.

Keep us updated on how it turns out.

PS. Epoxy is very difficult to sand. I would go with black tinted grain filler and a semi-gloss natural finish, like these basses.

Are you sure you want to be cutting, carving, an routing the body wings even though they're not glued onto the guitar? Any work you do only seems problematic, a hindrance to gluing the wings on when you finally get to that step. I hope you saved the cutoffs from the wings to help when you glue.

Keep us updated on how it turns out.

PS. Epoxy is very difficult to sand. I would go with black tinted grain filler and a semi-gloss natural finish, like these basses.

yes, I saved the cutouts. it should all be good, and thanks for the info about the black grain filler.

I have used both grain filler and black epoxy, and from them, I rather use epoxy anytime. It cover better and if you do a good job spreading it, it should be rather easy to sand back. If you were going natural, just use CA (superglue) easier than both and a lot easier to sand back.

Looks good so far!!!

Black grain filled walnut

DSC01875.jpg

and mahogany

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v195/Maiden69/DSC01768.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Thanks for both of the pics, Maiden! I too have been searching for pics of black grainfilled walnut and mahogany, and it'll give me a basic idea of what I should expect my build to look like when it gets closer to finishing. If I can manage to make no more (noticeable) mistakes, I'm thinking of going to grainfill black and then clear it.

when I was routing the headstock to final shape, the router took a big chunk out of the wood where I added wood on the sides for the headstock (I guess I was taking too much wood out with the router) Here is a very dark picture, (stupid camera phone).

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/lo...r/guitar034.jpg

and a picture of the 1/4" round over on the body.

guitar035.jpg

Also got the control cavity rout done, just gotta finish making the template for the cover thing. (don't have a picture.. apparently my phone didn't save it..)

• 4 weeks later...

Both of the wings are glued on and I started the level sanding.. What is a method you guys recommend to get the wings flush with the neck?

Here are pictures, never mind the pencil on the wood, haha.

guitar_049.jpg

Back

Tomorrow (I think) I will do the round over on the butt end of the body (if I get the wings flush).. and then do the arm contour. Then another day I will start routing for the pickups/floyd rose, maybe I will rout before doing the arm contour so I have more flat space to put the templates on..

Today, I got the wings flush with the neck wood, and then added the 1/4" round over to the butt end of the guitar. I think pictures for this will be pointless since it's nothing too big.

Tomorrow I might start shaping the heel and neck move to match the body and do the arm contour..

Progress! Didn't work on it all last week cause I've been sick, still am a little bit.. But I got to get some work done today; here are the pictures.

guitar045.jpg

Headstock Front

Headstock Back Yeah, there is a cut in there, I don't know what I should fill it with to make it look good though..

Gluing Wing

:D Whoa! That's one SWEET neck!! I'm so gonna make a neckthrough one day. Excellent looking guitar!

• 1 month later...

Floyd cavity done, just gotta rout through the back now. Too bad the block rout also went into the control cavity. Oh well I will put a small sheet of black plastic in the cavity or something.

IMG00043.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/lo...ar/IMG00039.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/lo...ar/IMG00040.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/lo...ar/IMG00041.jpg

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa98/lo...ar/IMG00042.jpg

Hi, Very nice and clean work you´ve got there.

If I were you, I would route the el.cavity a little bit more, then glue in a piece of wood, then re-route the trem cavity again just for an eye. What do others think?

And don´t you think the pot hole is too close to trem cavity?

Otherwise I like this guitar and I´d like to build some like this :D