goth needs beveling help!

ive had my guitar body roughed out for about a year now and i want to bevel it now, what tools will i need to do it, keep in mind i dont have a hell of a lot of money so power tools may not be the best recomendation, thanks for anybodies help, if i figure out how the heck to post a pic of the guitar im building i will.

Rasp. Quicker, easier, more accurate, and less dusty than sandpaper. You can usually go straight from the rasp to 120 grit paper to smooth any tooling marks.

I'm kind of down on just using abrasives when there is an alternative - that much dust just isn't good for you, or for your workshop. This may be because I spray in the same area I do my woodworking, so a 2 inch layer of dust on every surface is asking for trouble.... :D

I just use an old rasp which used to belong to my Grandpa. I've heard good things about Nicholson's pattern makers rasps, but I have no idea how widely availale they are.

Derek - spokeshaves are great for general top shaping, neck carving etc, but they lack the ablity of rasps to cut against the grain, and work in tight corners/radiii.

Derek - spokeshaves are great for general top shaping, neck carving etc, but they lack the ablity of rasps to cut against the grain, and work in tight corners/radiii.

What he said. It can be done, but its an absolute pain in the butt to continually turn the work piece around, and come from different angles.

Rasp > file > 120 grit

You want a half round rasp and file

I bought a tool at woodcraft last week that might work for this:

Go to

http://shop.woodcraft.com

and enter 144822 in the search engine.

It is a spoon plane and I have only fiddled around a little with it so far. I got it fo top planing but it should do edges as well.

144822.jpg

OMG, your going to get frustrated using that! Thats a bowl making plane.

ahh, very true my friend, i guess i just used a chisel at such times, maybe i should look in to the whole rasp thing, lol probably alot easier then what i do now at times

• 1 year later...

Hey goth if you ever have any acess to a router at all I think a Chamfer Router bit would would work for what your trying to do, hear's a link to one I used and a pic of one of my body's I used a Chamfer Router bit on I also used one on my IMPALER guitar.

Chamfer Router Bits

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/catalog/...1-2''-H

Body

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ZAD...Dec29411new.jpg

!!METAL MATT!! :D

man talk about bringing back an old thread! i already got the body for this guitar done and I used a 45 degree chamfer bit and then a rasp to get the rest of the shape i wanted

What the hell!! when I posted in hear it looked like a new thread iam not sure what happend there :D

well do yopu have any pics? It would be cool to see how it came out

!!METAL MATT!!

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!