Finally Finished The Shortscale Bass For My Son!

For those who never saw a thread on this, my 12 year old son helped me build this. Mostly with sanding and finish as I didn't want him using the router or bandsaw :eek:, but he had fun.

Specs:

Swamp Ash core with Walnut top

Walnut/Flame Maple Neck Lams and ebony board

30.5" scale

Bart pickup wired passive just vol/tone (it's his first bass and I didn't want too many controls messing him up, there's room to add a pre later)

Now it's time for lessons.

here he was doing the final sanding on the neck.

Sanding the neck

gabedonefullshot1.jpg

Nice Top shot

Another Top Shot

Another Angle

Shot of the back

Wish I had a custom when I was 12..........:D

The happy boy and his bass

Edited by DigthemLows

WOW! That thing turned out simply amazing!!! I must say that of all the bass designs I've seen here this has to be my absolute favorite. I don't know what it is, but it comes across simple, as in not too busy, yet it looks really hip and cool. I really like it and the wood choices. I plan on making a bass so I can learn to play it well and I just may have to go with something similar, just too cool to pass up.

Anyhow, great stuff, it came out excellent. It was vey cool to watch this one come together and see the happy customer ready to jam out. I wish I would have had something like that at 12, I ended up with $20 SG from a garage sale that was beat, lol. Well, any future plans, next build yes, no ? maybe so? Best wishes and thanks for sharing that build with us. J

Edited by jmrentis

Looks great! Looks like there are also some ergonomic considerations made in the design, which is rather cool.

Mainly, though, the finish and shape simply "look great" without any further need to qualify. :D

It looks great, what type of finish did you use on that bass?