Mike Speers Build No.3

hey

my names mike and im a fifteen year old living in London England

this is my third build and is actually being done for a school wood shop project though i will be doing most of it at home.

Originally it was going to be a les paul jr. completely white with black binding, but i saw a dean caddy in a guitar mag

and decided that i preferred it as it was a little bit more original (not dissing the les paul jr.)

guitar_cadillac-blackgold.jpg

theres the dean in case anyones unfamiliar.

I'm making it out of a solid chunk of mahogany with a zebrano neck and wenge f/b and will be changing the headstock as im not a fan of theirs.

though i changed the style of body i am going to stick with the les paul jrs. one p90 and vol+tone as i dig the simplicity.

thanks for reading and any input will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard, Michael! Cadillacs are certainly interesting guitars. I like unconventional shapes, myself-- and while the Caddy isn't my favourite, it's still pretty cool. Hope you have fun! A single P90 on a Cadillac is going to be sweet.

hey so on sunday the wood arrived i quite like it its got a nice grain that sort of gets lighter as it goes further out which should

look pretty good

GetAttachment_aspx~0.jpg

ive never worked with mahagony before and expected it to be much harder than the basswood i used in my last two projects but its really not that bad which i was happily suprised about

the zebrano is also quite nice, it really like the grain

normal_IMG_0794~0.JPG

i enlarged my template and stuck it on to the wood

2.jpg

and then cut it out using a jigsaw

123.jpg

normally its quite hard to get a very straight edge using a jigsaw but it worked out ok

mike

Very cool. I gotta say that the piece of zebra you have is beautiful, seriously very cool looking piece, much more clean lined and cool looking than much of what I have seen and what I've had. I'll tell you this, it will not work nearly as nice as that mahogany with tools, but it will make a killer looking neck. I think if you'd had a longer piece, that piece would have made for a wicked looking neck through guitar, though the neck is going to look super cool anyway. Well, best of luck. J

hey yeh never really thought bout a neck through could have looked awesome

o well thats why building guitars is awesome SO MANY OPTIONS

about the bridge im using a lp jr bridge because i kinda of ordered the parts

before i changed my mind towards the Dean style so i decided to roll with it.

got some more updates to

im currently taking exams at school but didn't have any today so i stayed home

and did some work around my revision...

56.jpg

thats the drill bit i used to clean up the sides its a good tool but can take off a lot

of wood fast and can leave it bumpy so u have to be careful

normal_IMG_0804.JPG

then i drew out where i wanted the curves of the body to get to and shaped it with a combo of

rasps spokeshaves and files cleaning it up every once and a while with a power sander to see

how it looked

i also marked up the points where the tone and volume pots will be drilled through which you can

see in that photo

mike

Edited by Michael.Speer

hey

so another half day and i got some more work done

routing out the back chamber with a... router

started out with a template that i cut out of mdf then just kinda freehanded it

normal_IMG_0806.JPG

heres another that shows the holes drilled through for the pots

normal_IMG_0814.JPG

I also freehanded out the edges around it for the coverplate that ill be making out of black plastic later

mike

• 4 weeks later...

hey

havent posted in an age but thought id do an update

got a lot done in the past month

which is mainly the neck and fretbaord

normal_IMG_1009.JPG

thats a pic of the carved neck

i guess we cant do mpore than one photo but here are some links to some more pics

http://www.shutter7.com/coppermine/displayimage-740-40.html

http://www.shutter7.com/coppermine/displayimage-740-9.html

there ya go

mike

yeh that is where it cracked but i filled it up with wood filler and im using a pretty dark stain that i have done a little test of with the stain and its barely noticeable.

mike

Try clamping a piece of wood so that your drill bit will emerge into it rather than into air. This seems to prevent chipout.

Very cool project, man. I've always loved the "look" of the LP Jr. (black p90's, pickguard, etc.) Your Dean shape is a cool take on it. The neck looks great. The links don't seem to show any pictures though... :D