Second Project

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guitar would be beautiful without those inlays, but man, they really send it over the top! I also love the understated binding on the neck and head. It looks like everything lines up perfectly.

Thank you guys for the nice words (and bringing this thread back to life...:D).

Some progress has been made.

Geo: I'm glad you like the inlays, because there are more.... While my wife was busy with the inlay on the top I made a set of rosewood pickup rings and switch knob.

The rosewood knobs I bought from an ebay shop. Hopefully, with a few coats of Danish Oil, they'll all look similarly dark.

C_083.jpg

Closeup of the inlay. With the top stained deep cherry it should look quite impressive.

Right now the top and the back of the body are masked and the faux binding has been lacquered. Next steps will be pore filling of the back and then staining of the top.

Maurits: Where are you located ??

Thank you guys for the nice words (and bringing this thread back to life...:D).

Some progress has been made.

Geo: I'm glad you like the inlays, because there are more.... While my wife was busy with the inlay on the top I made a set of rosewood pickup rings and switch knob.

The rosewood knobs I bought from an ebay shop. Hopefully, with a few coats of Danish Oil, they'll all look similarly dark.

C_083.jpg

Right now the top and the back of the body are masked and the faux inlay has been lacquered. Next steps will be pore filling of the back and then staining of the top.

Beautiful work Luis, the pickup rings and switch knob looks great, as usual ! B)

But please congratulate your wife because her inlays are fantastic ! :D

I live in Oegstgeest, so only a short bike ride away.

And I must say, normally I'm not into inlays on the top of a body too much, but this one and the one on your first build look real good.

Close indeed, as a matter of fact I lived in Oegstgeest until a Jan 07 !! Depending on which of the two AH you were doing your shopping at, I might have actually met you !!!

Heya neighbours ... Thanks for mailing me the links BlackDog ... I'll drop into the office again soon :D You can't imagine how jealous I am of anyone who has the time and the nerve to get started on a project this ambitious ... I've been planning to do it for yhears and can never raise the courage to get started.

These (both your projects) are great, but this one is beautiful!!

Sorry guys for the late reply. Sometimes my employers seem to expect me to do some work...

You can't imagine how jealous I am of anyone who has the time and the nerve to get started on a project this ambitious ... I've been planning to do it for yhears and can never raise the courage to get started.

Hi K, It's only a matter of starting, then soon you find out you can't stop !!! If you have read my first build thread you've seen how it started for me. I dreamt about doing this for a long time too. And now, even before finishing #2, my builds #3 and #4 have already timidly started... :D

It´s really amazing what you achieved as a family. I think it´s so cool everyone is involved. I just wanted to throw an idea at you for future projects...Keeping with the feathers theme (although it seems to me that you found a sort of signature with the ones you´ve done). Have you ever thought of inlaying a peacock feather in the fingerboard?

Thanks, but you should witness the fights for shop space too !!! Jokes apart, space is limited and my wife's own hobby is Tiffany and Glass in Lead. Sometimes we need to find some equilibrium as activities are not always compatible... Anyway, she's a great help with the inlay work and many other not-too-heavy tasks. Peacock feathers are a classic in Tiffany work, and I'm told that they are quite challenging. And inlay work has a lot in common with Tiffany... Anyway, the feathers theme ends with this guitar.

Whats you re secret on the rosewood pickup rings.

I tried to make some from rosewood and maple but they all worked out quite fragile.

Hi Wim, no secrets. They are indeed fragile. I just happen to have a set of ebony rings (can be seen earlier in this thread) that I bought from CrazyParts.de that I used as templates.

I thicknessed (Safe-T-Planer) and sanded to 5mm a piece of RW and screwed the template to it.

With the jewellers saw I use for cutting pearl I roughly cut the outside and inside.

I found that the bearing that came with a flush-cut router bit I have had basically the same diameter of the smaller Dremel sanding drums. So I improvised a micro-robosander of sorts for the Dremel. With this I trimmed the RW to the same size of the template.

With the template still in place I drilled the height-adj screw holes and the mounting screw holes by removing the screws holding the template in place, one by one.

And that was it. Not too difficult actually.

Thanks again for the kind words. A pic for the fans:

Double staining the top sounded like a great idea on scrap pieces, but on the real thing it took a loooot of sanding....

I give you the worn red-jean effect.

C_087.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Hi i love this guitar your building i was wondering how did you manage to rout out the recurve on the body with out loosing control or keeping it so nice and consistant . I would like to try the methode my self . Any advice would be a great help. thankyou. :D

Hi, sorry I didn't reply before.

I'm not sure what kind of advice I can give you...

For the recurve you're looking at a consistent routing along the edge of the body. I found that the contour-follower accessory of my router was very crude. The square routing along the edges seen in the first picture of this thread was originally done with the original router accessory, and the width of cut was inconsistent, as the accessory is too bulky and ether the plate or the rods were getting in the way of the clamps or the body itself.

So I built a new contour-following accessory to redo this square lip and the recurve that follows. This smaler device allowed a much more accurate edge routing.

Now I think I'll build a similar accessory for edge-following routes, like those used for truss rod channels and the such.

Hope this helps.

Pheeewwww !!!

I finally got through my first proper finish job.

Many lessons learned and quite a bit of experience gained... I had a little bit of everything: runs, sand-throughs, polish-throughs, among other more common delights like scratches...

All in all, after some repairs and re-sanding/re-polishing I think my first nitro finish is a solid 90% good.:

DSC01424.jpg

Another (rather blurry) one.

With a few coats of Danish oil the neck looks rich and dark. This picture shows the glueing process, yesterday evening.

But that's been enough of "progress" pictures. The guitar is assembled now. Still needs the correct Graphtech nut to be cut (shown here with a plastic cheapo nut with some maple veneer shimming), and a final setup once the neck does it's thing under string tension. As of now only the magnetic pickups are wired, so I can't test he piezo yet.

Soon I'll post some proper pictures of the finished guitar in a new thread.

First impressions: Plays and sounds beautifully !!! The frets are just perfect and the neck feels great. I'm a VERY proud father.

Please be kind and ignore the belly...

spoke shave rasp and sandpaper should sort out the belly contours! :killingme

Beautiful guitar by the way.

Edited by joshvegas

You've made my guitar !!!!!!

thank you!!

I'm on the next ferry over..... now... where's my passport?

Absolutely fantastic build. Do you have plans for the body coz this is EXACTLY the body shape I want for a future project. It won't be as ambitious as yours - mine will be a flat top. Dark Walnut body, natural Birds-eye Maple top, gold hardware & zebra pickups...

sb

Edited by supplebanana

the guitar looks great!!!!

be proud of the belly - you earnt it :D

Many, many thanks to all for the nice words and encouragement.

More pictures can be seen at the "Finished build" thread.

Thanks for all the help along the way.

Mattia, I will definitely bring it along to the DGBM, I only hope I can make it myself, as I'll be working the whole previous week in Germany I'm supposed to fly back on friday, let's hope it does not get much longer than expected.