New Bass Biuld: Ric 4003 Replica

Finally got some time to get back to the bass build today. Here the lower wing has been sanded smooth, binding channel routed and binding glued and trimmed flush. MArked on the routing area for the ctrl cavity.

bind.jpg

Work started on shaping the neck/headstock; a real apin without access to a bandsaw. Annoying Miscalculation with the jigsaw in cutting the headstock to thickness means its now a little thinner than i would like before final sanding, and there's a bit of an ugly gouge out the back. Maybe I can glue on a 2mm laminate to get back up to thinckness before drilling for the tuners.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made some good progress on the neck carving this evening. Sadly doesn't really show up well in the photo.

neck3.jpg

It's immensely pleasing to see a slim neck carve slowly emerging from a thick slab of wood.

Getting this done is a massive milestone in the guitar build. Once it's done, it's time to attach the fretboard and glue the wings.

Then she'll really begin to take shape.

Ric Pups arrived today, courtesy Rosetti London. Now waiting for the bridge pup mount ring and cover to arrive, which had to be sourced US-side.

ricpups.jpg

Watched a 4003 bridge mount and cover soar to a ridiculous price recently on ebay. HORROR!

Been searching for a jackplate narrow enough for the slim ric body. Yet another non-standard item with all the UK parts shops selling only the Les Paul and Epiphone generic types, which are too wide. Luckily I have a friend who is a master of metalwork and has promised to fashion me a nice little chrome piece to fit the body.

Disaster - about 10 mins after taking this pic I noticed the top started crazing. I had not spent enough time levelling off earlier priner coats or the wood. it really started bugging me so i 've just spent the last hour in the garage sanding all the paint off back to bare wood and preparing to start again. :D

It happens!

My Les Paul got sanded back to barewood when I realised I hadn't adequately filled the grain, and my colour coat just wouldn't get smooth - man I was pissed off! A couple of years down the line, the guitar still looks great, and the afternoon lost sanding is (mostly) forgotten...

Here she is wired up and strung up for the first time. Not a great pic; you can see the black finish needs more work. the neck could do with another lb of wood off the back and the action needs sorting.

wired.jpg

However, first quick checks thru the practice amp are very promising; great tone variance from neck and bridge pickups, that deep fruity ric bass tone is there in abundance, I just have to make her a bit more pleasing in the hands.

I decided to leave the back and the headstock au naturel. The neck will still need tru-oiling but I've got quite a bit of work left to do slimming it down a bit. I'm confident the authentic ric tone is bursting to get out, once I get a nice slim neck and a good fret levelling what she lacks in cosmetic refinements she will make up for in tone and feel :D