Anybody Wanna Do A 'Carriburst' Competition?

Drak

The contest will be to see who comes up with the Absolute Best Tutorial on "How to do a Carriburst finish!

Hmmm..what a strange and interesting turn of events, not exactly what I had at first envisioned (read the early posts) but the tutorial idea makes perfect sense for the forum-at-large.

...I'm digital-camera ready and loaded for bear! Grrrrr! :D

Thanks to Brian for giving this some 'forum structure'.

:D ...and for PRIZES!!!!!! WOO-HOO!! B)

I'm checkin out the curly redwood. there are some sick F**kin pieces on ebay. their incredible lookin. my guitar is going to be a strat/jem/prs fusion. with a carved curly redwood back and top LACE SENSOR HOLY GRAIL PUPS haw....................ho................ do you guys think that it would be too much of a challenge to do the carribean burst?

Snork, what you described would make a KILLER guitar, great ideas all around...but not for a Carriburst I'm afraid.

Redwood is very much like Spruce, very soft, great for archtops and acoustics, but it's a pretty far cry from a Carriburst. I would vote that a no-go for a C-burst.

Redwood can take stain sort of splotchy, much like Spruce, that's one reason why almost all people clear finish it. You could spray toner on top of a clear coat...but it's really not meant to be Carribursted, believe me.

No normal luthier would ever use it to make a Carriburst, no way. And if you are a 'thrasher-basher', rough on your equipment, Redwood is not for you either, it is really soft and no matter what finish you use, it will dent pretty easy. Just tossing some info out for ya...you can easily put a thumbnail dent right into the raw wood. Under the right circumstances, it's great stuff tho.

And I will toss out this bit of info...when dying a piece of wood blue of any shade, it had better be pretty damn close to white to begin with. Any hint of red, brown, that kind of thing...will frustrate the hell out of you. The blue will come out SUCK. So if your wood is in any way red or brownish, be prepared to BLEACH it first if you're going to put any kind of blue on it. And bleaching wood is a chapter all unto itself.

That's why good quality clear Maple works so good for this kind of thing, good clear Maple is about as white a wood as you're going to find, and your blues will come out grrreat!.

Eastern Birdseye Maple can be found to be -even whiter- than quilted, as long as it is mineral-streak free (mineral streaks are kind of common in Birdseye, and they don't come out even when bleached).

AND it's a great TONEWOOD too, it's very hard and adds a nice bite to the tone. So if you're entering the contest, Birdseye Maple (which I haven't seen mentioned yet) is a great way to go, it's usually much cheaper than the high-test Quilt, and a lot of Birdseye boards have a good amount of quilt in them also.

I love Birdseye Maple, it's great to work with, I would really recommend it to the Carriburst guys working on a budget. It is the right color to get you started off right without having to bleach your wood first.

The three things I look for when I buy Bird is:

1) No mineral streaks, nice clear white boards.

2) LARGE eyes, the bigger the better.

3) QUILT around the eyes. If you look at a lot of birdseye boards, you'll notice some have almost no quilt, some will have a little, and some will have GREAT quilt around the eyes. Those are the ones that will make great stained tops.

Buying a dark wood (even a light brown or light red) to do this is almost like starting from behind, ...but whatever floats yer boat... :D

Check out this guy, he's got a lot of *almost* good enough boards, but if you look at all his bird boards, you'll see the differences.

Boards with GREAT eyes, GREAT quilt, ...but too much mineral stain to 'make it' for me, but maybe OK for you.

He's got some nice stuff there, just nothing that's 5A top rate bird.

Boards with great FAT eyes...but no quilt...

some that are clear, but have suck small eyes and no quilt

some that are nice, good quilt, good eyes, but too thin widthwise...

some that one side is PERFECT, but the other side is mineral stained...

you get the idea...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

speaking of prizes...what is it? i know i can write way better than any of you shlubs could, even though i might not be able to build a guitar better, so now i'm really interested...

speaking of prizes...what is it? i know i can write way better than any of you shlubs could, even though i might not be able to build a guitar better, so now i'm really interested...

really...i haven't noticed any great writing skills from you. :D

great idea brian.i will have to unleash my gift of gab.i tend to be so reserved B)

i'm wes...blah blah blah, blah blah doo dee bloo blah.

there.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

My tut will not only have great writing, but 2 ways to o it, and how to make a badass taco.

I was thinking....as a tribute to the forum, I will make a "tacoburst finish". Kind tabaccoburst, but different. Good idea?

use meat to literally stain the wood. fade it out to "sour cream." or vice versa...

taco bell, wendy's, and this local place called Uncle Nick's (great sandwiches) are the only places to eat that are open when i get off work (usually past midnight, editing sucks...) so i'm so tired of them all...

and i realized something. B)

taco bell uses the same 6 ingredients, just moves them around. they are: shell, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, meat, bean dip (sorta...)

taco: shell, meat, lettuce, cheese.

chalupa: shell, meat, lettuce, cheese.

supreme taco: shell, meat, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, tomato.

double decker: shell, beans, shell, meat, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, tomato.

try this helpful thing and see if you can come up with something taco bell hasn't yet...

:D

by 6, i meant 7...

You hungry for Mexican Bro?  :D

No, I was fired from Taco hell for not quitting, and was bitter. That caused me some heat in the slam thread, and rather than be more bitter, I decided to use it for comic relief. So far I feel better about myself, and my attitude is overall better. God bless the slam thread!

And in the news section....the wife is pregnant! I'm gonna me a dad!

taco bell, wendy's, and this local place called Uncle Nick's (great sandwiches) are the only places to eat that are open when i get off work (usually past midnight, editing sucks...) so i'm so tired of them all...

and i realized something.  B)

taco bell uses the same 6 ingredients, just moves them around. they are: shell, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, meat, bean dip (sorta...)

taco: shell, meat, lettuce, cheese.

chalupa: shell, meat, lettuce, cheese.

supreme taco: shell, meat, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, tomato.

double decker: shell, beans, shell, meat, lettuce, sour cream, cheese, tomato.

try this helpful thing and see if you can come up with something taco bell hasn't yet...

:D

and what about guacamole, creamy jalapeno, pepper jack sauce, SW sauce, and fiesta salsa?

Taco, Taco Man. I've got to be a taco man. :D

Wow, that was a cood one. However, may I advise against he being a taco man? The food is good, but the job sucks.

:D:DB):D

^ The vilage people...kinda

And all apologies for the hijack.

rnb012a.jpg

Sweet bass!!

Yes, it does indeed look to be a Carriburst finish.

which is what this topic is all about. (aboot for you canadians)

I'm such a retard-o. :D

I start a Carriburst competition, and I have YET to do an exhaustive pictorial search on Carribursts.

You guys have posted a lot of really good examples for us to peruse and choose from. That last one is also nice Jeff.

In every one, I can pretty much visually break down what they did and 'see' how they got there, I appreciate the pics a lot.

I am now (well, I do still have 3 weeks) going to do a search of my own and see what I come up with.

But the examples already posted here are really nice.

Personally, I really like the ones that border on an almost yellow-ish light green for the center, and have the nice peacock blue on the edge. Not too fond of the mid-to-dark green shades, but it's probably necessary to add it in as a 'passing' shade.

Thanks for all the pics. B)

Yeah, well I got all the pics I showed from JET's and ed roman's site, xcept fot the singlecut one. Jeffery of JET emailed me that one. So do the searh, and the reranch thing....post a link for their tutorials and stuff.