Removing Ferrules

RobSm

Hi.

I was about to do a stringup on a string through W.I.P. and I realised I don't know how to safely & efficiently remove the ferrules afterwards.

What's the best way to remove ferrules?

TIA,

Rob.

That is a damn good question, if it's the rear ferrules you may be able to get them out with a fishing hook (bent a little of course..) also that would only work if there you can find a gap in between the wood and the ferrule.

Then if you had front ferrules, knock them out after removing the rear ferrules.

:D

I'm quite hungover and covered in permanent marker, so sorry if my post makes no sense!..

Edited by RGman

i used a small and medium-sized (-) screwdrivers, small one for the front and big one for the back. you only need one though, really.

insert screwdriver through back ferrule and pound to get the front one out. once it's out, the hole is big enough for the screwdriver to enter through the front to pound out the back.

... I was about to do a stringup on a string through W.I.P. and I realised I don't know how to safely & efficiently remove the ferrules afterwards. ...

I take it that you are wanting to string it up before the finish coats?

Instead of installing the rear ferrels, just use small metal washers that fits loosely.