Fanned Fret Five String

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the longer the tenon, the more stable the joint, and since it was coming pretty close to the pickup rout it made good sense to continue the neck into there.

Sorry no eggs in this one, more of a face-on shot with the hardware positioned and fretwires cut, ready to be bashed into place with the heel of an old shoe.

noeggs.jpg

Yep its a great tip and once buffed up the bloodwood really shines bright red. Looks superb as an inlay. I used a small diameter (4mm) copper tube and left the plug of wood in there, then with a hacksaw blade cut small sections off as inserts - voila, a wood inlay set into a copper ring.

Why only the 17th? Well i'll come clean i suppose. The MOP inlay popped out when I was hammering a fret home and I lost it! Then I thought I'd try your tube bore method and use it to fill the gap. ;D Looks really great, now on my next build I'll be making all my own dots this way.

Damn, Al. I thought you had a better reason than that :-D Shame the dot popped. Nothing you can do if you're hunting around in the sawdust (having been there). I could have mailed you another one you know? I have LOADS of random crap sitting around here with better things to do than not being in guitars....especially the bunchload of abalone/MOP dots sitting around!

Edited by Prostheta

i think it gives it that "uniqueness" but not the kind when people say, your router jumped? its ok, its custom right?

i mean it lookslike it was intentionally done...as a subtle statement saying "F*CK YOU CONVENTION! who said all my dots have to be the same?! im making this f*cking guitar and ill do it my way!"

just my take :D

i love this project by the way, been following it

did i hear GOTM?

Some more progress this morning. Neck trimmed flush (pocket routed deeper) and the electrics all wired up.

Neck given a few wipes of Tru-Oiul - more to follow.

I also inlaid a little copper-ring bloodwood circle into the headstock.

Now just waiting for the machine heads, then the nut can be cut, and frets levelled. Then she's done :D

lectrics.jpg

Here's another shot of the body/neck

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/al_heeley/neckin.jpg

Some more progress this morning. Neck trimmed flush (pocket routed deeper) and the electrics all wired up.

Neck given a few wipes of Tru-Oiul - more to follow.

I also inlaid a little copper-ring bloodwood circle into the headstock.

Now just waiting for the machine heads, then the nut can be cut, and frets levelled. Then she's done :D

lectrics.jpg

Here's another shot of the body/neck

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/al_heeley/neckin.jpg

Beautiful work man ! Congrats !

But the only thing are the knobs, these are the deffinitive ones ?

I love the fingerboard's end transition. Very slick.

Agreed :D That's one of my favorite parts of the build. The LED is set to light when you plug the jack in, I assume? I've got a spare 5mm red LED from my sister's science project sitting on the counter. I'm tempted to use it for when the killswitch is activated, but A. I think 5mm is too large, and B. The effect would grow tiresome after a while, methinks.

Looks snazzy, Al, congrats!

Thx guys! My favourite piece is the little Prostheta bloodwood and copper inlay on the 17th fret.

I thought about fitting a red LED inside the truss rod access cavity in the head, then having a cover made of frosted plastic or something that would glow a back-lit red when you plugged the cable in. It could connect to the battery in the main ctrl cavity by means or a pair of copper strips built in the neck joint/pocket. I might think about this next time to incorporate the wires running up inside the neck, between laminates. A bit gimmicky but it might be fun playing on a dark stage.

Not much progress today. Side dots added to fingerboard and more Tru-oil to the back of the neck with a little buffing.

Made a small truss rod cover from Prostheta's bloodwood.

sidedots2.jpg

Very pleased with the slim neck profile this came out at, feels very comfortable while still having a bit of mass to it.

I might shield the cavity cover if it needs it, but there's the little pre-amp pcb glued to it now. I have no experience of shielding requirements for passive pickup and 9v pre-amp systems yet! If it proves to be noisy then it's a 2 minute job.

All oils will have some effect on colour. Tru-oil is more of a varnish than an oil, it certainly looks a lot darker out the bottle but you put so little on I'd say once dried it gives less of a darkening effect than Danish oil, even when built up into 6 or 8 thin layers. The tin of danish I currently have is Colron, I know it differs from Watco and Rustins but could not tell you which is darker - each manufacturer seems to have their own proprietory blend. Tru-oil is more viscous and will seal the surface pores better in my opinion. Maybe this is why you need less as it may not penetrate to the same extent? Maybe this helps reduce the darkening.