Alternative Bridge For Body Cut For A Floyd?

I've used one. It came with one of the saddle intonation screws stripped, and of course it's a proprietary screw. Luckily, the GFS guy sent me a replacement. I've since blocked the trem and it works fine as a fixed bridge; however, I wouldn't recommend it as an actual whammy bridge as it hasn't held tune very well for me (although that's probably due to me not setting it up properly. However, like I said, blocking it and making a fixed bridge out of it should be ok, as the tone from the thing is reasonably good, and if you block it you should be fine.

I've played a lot of different styles of trem equipped guitars for the past > 20 years.

I grew up on locking trems and frankly, I don't see what the big deal is with changing strings, even with a fully floating trem. A quality double locking trem is the absolute best in tuning stability IMO. Intonation is a one shot deal or something you would do only if you changed string gauge so I don't see a huge disadvantgae there. Changing strings can be simple and fast if you know how to do it properly, even when changing all strings at once. One thing to note though - I equip all my floating trem guitars with a tremsetter which makes it easier and faster to change strings. It also stabilizes the trem during string bends.

My personal favorite locking trem is the Ibanez Edge but for your route, your best bet is to go Genuine Floyd, Speedloader or not. Cutting strings? Who doesn't cut the excess string at the tuner post? So what's the big deal with cutting ball ends off?

Yes, a fully floating Floyd requires more skill/knowledge to change strings efficiently but geez, I prefer that to poking strings though body back/top ferrules where the string cacthes on the top ferrule and you have to keep trying until it goes through... but I never hear anyone complaining about changing string on a string through body guitar. :D

If you make the trem go down only, you've simplified your setup and you get rid of 90% of the string changing headaches. Its always an option. There a number of easy ways to block a trem, my favorite being a piece a wood against the trem block, under the springs.

I say go for the Floyd. Its a quality product. Avoid at all costs the cheaper korean crap, you'll just get frustrated with it. There's a big difference between a real floyd and the cheap knockoffs and I think that Floyd gets most of its bad rep from the cheap crap copies.

You never know, you even might have fun with it. :D

... but I never hear anyone complaining about changing string on a string through body guitar. :D

Ok, fine... I'll complain. Changing strings on a through body is a pain in the butt. For me it's top-loader or bust! :D

Edited by fookgub

One of the bridges that I am constructing will be a direct drop-in replacement for an FR, using the existing studs and springs. However, some clearance towards the rear will be required in order to be able to use the tuners. It is possible to use the locking nut to lock the strings in place and cut the headstock off altogether if you're adventurous! I am intending to do so on one of my guitars and post "before" and "after" sound samples and weights.

img_0529-400x300.jpg

This is my first "0" series production run of 2 bridges and if it turns out well, I will have more made for sale.

Just came across this:

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/i-public/face...ED31B_1M_01.jpg

It migth be what you are looking for. It's from the Ibanez parts catalog:

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/i-public/faces/Login00.jsp

There are a few more fixed bridge alternatives for FR there. Dunno if they are drop in replacement thou...

One of the bridges that I am constructing will be a direct drop-in replacement for an FR, using the existing studs and springs. However, some clearance towards the rear will be required in order to be able to use the tuners. It is possible to use the locking nut to lock the strings in place and cut the headstock off altogether if you're adventurous! I am intending to do so on one of my guitars and post "before" and "after" sound samples and weights.

img_0529-400x300.jpg

This is my first "0" series production run of 2 bridges and if it turns out well, I will have more made for sale.

Wow, that's quite a project. I'm really interested in seeing the results!

This is why I like seeing you on this board :D I've been silently following your projects, really really nice ideas :D