The Privycaster

Here's another of my rustic themed projects, this one drawing inspiration from the ubiquitous rural comfort station also known as the outhouse, with it's classic crescent moon cutout, and soapbar pickups for proper hygiene.

The top is weathered cypress, from a fence, 1/4" thick, on a sassafrass back. The neck is sweetgum, with a mesquite fretboard.

priv1.jpg

back

side detail

The control plate and jack plate came from an old license plate, and the knobs are clay beads from a macrame plant hanger, with abalone dots plugging the tops of the holes.

The tailpiece is part of an iron strap hinge, like on the other one I did.

Edit: changed extra pics to links

Edited by orgmorg

The headstock is pretty plain, just a slightly tweaked tele shape.

Never heard of sasafrass dust being toxic. The extract they used to use for flavoring was found to be carcinogenic, but that is in huge doses in lab rats, using the concentrated form. I use the same level of dust control I use for any other wood with it.

As for hemlock- I think you are confusing the tree with the plant.

Sassafrass is one of the most amazing smelling woods I have worked, along with port orford cedar.

It's neat seeing how shallow the patina is on that cypress. What did you do for finish? It looks like gloss everywhere except the top. No finish on the top?

:D

Thanks for the replies, all!

Setch, the licence plate may not translate well, it may be an "americana" thing.

It's very common to see licence plates nailed to the sides of rural outbuildings, here

Here is an extreme example:

outhou_licenseplate.gif

and a more typical outhouse

pic of headstock

Edit: changed extra pics to links

Edited by orgmorg

Wow, that's a piece of work! It could just as easily be hanging up on the wall in a beach house or something. The weathered details really make the piece, for me. It's really inspiring me to do a similar project, despite my tendency to have an extreme preference for squeaky-clean guitars. Weathered is better than relic! :D

Setch, the licence plate may not translate well, it may be an "americana" thing.

It's very common to see licence plates nailed to the sides of rural outbuildings, here

Oh the memories of not being able to legally use the toilet until I turned 16.

I seldom vote for GOTM, but I think I have to vote for this one.