What Router Table Do You Guys Use?

pariah223

I am looking to buy a router table. I have been using my dads, but he has a cheap 50 dollar craftsman that is about as flat as a sheet of plywood. I was just wondering what you guys use as your router table. I am looking to spend between 100 and 150 dollars, so im not looking for anything crazy, just flat, sturdy, and durable. thanks!

Old lime green cabenet with an old counter top section on top, with some channel for a split fence made out of mahogany I had laying around. Total cost was about 10 bucks for the knobs and channel at Rockler. Oh, the insert is a hunk of 1/2 inch plastic I got somewhere.

My router came from harbor freight, it was 79 bucks for a 3 HP 1/2 inch router on sale.

I've thought about replacing it over the years, but it does the job, and doesn't give me any problems.

It doesn't always have to be fancy.

Oh, I did build a plexi glass shield box to go over the bit and work piece. It's hinged to the fence. Safety first.

-John

If you want plans for a really cool router station, Norm of New Yankee built one a few years ago, it looks really nice. I've thought about it a few times. My brother built one. It's a project though, not quite as quick as my lime green crappy cab. with the mismatched blue counter top.

Rockler Router Table

I recently grabbed this one while it was on sale and got a good deal. The problem is I had no room for a permanent router table and no room to even store one. So with this one, I built some little legs that I can disassemble quickly when I am done and the table can then be stored anywhere on its side. So far I have had no issues with it, works well and is a fairly decent size compared to some I priced at the time, 24" x 32". Its MDF, but is perfectly flat and works well enough for me. You could buy one with legs if you want, but it'd be much cheaper to make your own. With that setup you get a nice aluminum router plate. I was able to go pick it up from my local Rockler, so I didn't pay shipping and I bought it on sale for around $110 I think, I had never seen it that cheap before. I've seen many tables I would prefer, but as I said I have no room for a permanent table unfortunately and I didn't want a small benchtop style because I knew I would be working with guitar bodies and necks often for which I would prefer to have a decent sized table.

Here is a pic of it, I was just making a binding laminator to glue some plastic bindings together, worked fine.

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Edited by jmrentis

I have a Bosch RA1181. No complaints. The table is big and flat. Jointing fence works well. I drilled a hole through to plate to use with the above-the-table height adjustment on my router. Only annoyance is that it was a pain to level the plate with the table. You only need to do it once, though.

I am looking to buy a router table. I have been using my dads, but he has a cheap 50 dollar craftsman that is about as flat as a sheet of plywood. I was just wondering what you guys use as your router table. I am looking to spend between 100 and 150 dollars, so im not looking for anything crazy, just flat, sturdy, and durable. thanks!

Home made with the lee valley kit. The absolute best and cheapest around.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...,51208&ap=1

I've got a hole cut in my melamine topped double-MDF-base-layer workbench. And a phenolic plate from MLSC Woodworking. Nothing fancy.

I wish I'd built my workbench before I bought the router table. Incorporating the router table into it would have been a big space saver for me. I still plan on building another, slightly shorter workbench for an "L" configuration...maybe I'll built the router table into that portion of the bench.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Rousseau Table and plate. Its OK dont realy like the crown on the plate where the bit come out, it's a feature they say. Hasnt hurt just does not seem helpful. The table is solid all works fine. This is about 10 years old.

My dream would be to replace my delta unisaw's right wing with a cast iron wing router table extension and combine the two. Or rebuild the wood extension table on the left side and add the router there. Last resort would be a new cast Iron router table or scrap the router table for a shaper.

If you can find a good plate building a table is the easiest route since you can add better dust collection and storage for all your bits.

Dreams can come true.

Edited by Woodenspoke

• 2 weeks later...

I could never see the point in buying a router table.

I used a 2 foot square piece of kitchen worktop (counter top), some 2 x 2 softwood for the legs. added a mounting plate from Trend and use a homemade fine height adjuster on my Makita 3612.

It sits on top of a workmate at exactly the right height for me so I am not bending over it and doing my back more damage.

Fence is made out of 18mm MDF with a hole that takes my dust extractor hose perfectly.

Must have cost me all of £15 ~ $30

Just can't see what else I need a router table to do right now. When I do, I am sure that I'll just add it to what I have got

Denis