Semi-hollow Firebird

okay, so you may have seen another thread of mine with a strat in it. If you've seen it you may be wondering why im starting another project before finishing that one. The answer to that is because I am one armed for three more weeks and don't want to screw that project up. Its in the finishing stages now, which involves inlaying, etc, and without being able to bend my arm I cant cut with a jewelers saw :D.

Anyway, this one is going to be a semi hollow firebird with an f-hole. its going to have a poplar back (chambered) with a curly cherry top on it. The neck is 100% zebrawood. This one is going to be kind of wild compared to the strats lol. anyway, here are some pics, its not 100% final, Im still working out some details including adding another chamber.

pics:

DSCN0338.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0336.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0221.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0093.jpg (middle modified)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty excited to see how the cherry looks when resawed, but I cant resaw anything :D.

I'm not sure, all my previous guitars are completely solid though. I've seen it done similar to this before , so I figure I'd give it a go, nothing to lose. I guess I'm just experimenting and seeing what type of sound it will produce, I know that info's out there, but I don't have a good ear so i figure the best way to learn is by doing it. The reason their are so many chambers and not just one is basically so that the top is secured on to the back by more than just the rim and the little material left in the center.

I wish I could work on my acoustic but thats another thing I'm not willing to mess up by string it one handed.

Aside from the structural aspect it offers differences in sound. Somewhere around Mattia gave a great explanation on the difference in sound and feedback between many small chambers and one big chamber or U shaped chamber. They all offer some difference, I believe even one giant chamber will sound slightly different from a giant chamber with a small block under the bridge. I know one of the most noted points was on the amounts of feedback one receives with one giant chamber vs. numerous small chambers. A few members explained this in a discussion somewhere and I cannot remember where off hand, otherwise I'd provide a link. So, aside from structural benefits there is a noticeable difference in sound and feedback between the two different styles. Anyhow, thats just what I remember from the discussion. J

So far today, I glued on a block into the f hole cavity to add some wood to the body so that I can put a TOM bridge, since originally I planned on using a hartail. Before I did that though, I added a label into the F-hole that says the date it was made my name etc. After that, I glued the top on with the vacuum press. here are some pictures.

DSCN0359.jpg

DSCN0355.jpg

I really like the concept but something doesn't look right to me. The frets go way into the body. I'm not sure if you'll be able to even play on those higher frets past the neck/body join. The body looks out of proportion compared to the neck.

I am missing something?

DSCN0380.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r191/st...17/DSCN0380.jpg

T?he necks not all the way in the pocket in that picture^ (reason for the gap in the bottom left corner of the neck pocket)

Okay, so what I've done today (10 minutes of work lol) was cut the neck pocket area to allow for better fret access (this has 24 frets). Also I worked on the belly cut. Because of the way i blended it you cant really see it well in this picture though. Its VERY comfortable though it fits me perfectly.

Guitar 2005: This should help a bit, im thinking of going deeper with the cut away though.

Edited by carousel182

Dude... why 'r you puttin' a Fender headstock on a Gibson body? Isn't that guitar making heresy?

Seriously, I'm just curious because it looks a little out of place to me. I'm a little traditional sometimes.

LOL, didn't even make that distinction! Honestly, I think it actually fits together quite well, both shape of body and headstock flow together better than I would have anticipated with that combo. I do see things differently though as I never paid much attention to brand/headstock, not sure why. I always have to look up picks when people call headstocks by name as I just never paid much attention, well not until I got into building and designing. Anyhow, I actually dig the flow between the headstock and body. Also the body really has come together very nicely. Do you have some binding on there now as well? That last picture looks like there is binding, but you made no mention of it and I can't really tell if the sides are taped off or you carved the top or you added binding. Regardless it looks great! J

Nice work. There's an ancient African tribal game played with beads on an board the same layout as your guiter semi.

I was tought that game by a rasta in Cape Verde last summer. I left the island a game in the lead............. and very drunk :D

Could someone post a pic directly into the thread so that I can have a look (can't get on photobucket at the minute). Firebirds are definately the sexiest guitar there is. My battered old one should be up and running soon WOO HOO.