It's Tool Week At Lidl!

joshvegas

Just popped into lidl for my weekly shopping (it's so cheap my pittance of a student loan goes so much further)

Among the assorted fresh/canned goods could be found clamps (sash and those little plastic ratchet mole grip type jobbies) and a bunch of craft knives i was temted by a router but that wasn't so cheap!

I also picked up a variety of cycling stuff.

I'm such a cheap skate! :D

Awesome, how big are those sash clamps?

Sorry i was away in berlin for a weekend so i couldn't reply.

was in a rush and had little to no cash so i didn't buy them my answer would be medium big probably do a body but nothing wider

and it's probably to late anyway lidle like to keep us on our toes!

josh

• 3 months later...

Bump!

Yeah, I've bought several tools from Lidl too!

In fact, the control cavity sheilding tape on my first build (Capricorn R7t) came from there.

I've also bought handsaws, a profile gauge, straightedges, notebooks, compasses/protractor set, and last week I even got a wee drill press vice for a fiver! Thought about the wee Dremel-type thingy they have, but I want to get one that you can make into a mini router, for doing inlay work.

And their Bran Flakes are awesome!

Tip: don't bother with the rechargeable batteries, I know they're cheap but they are shite!

Happy shopping!

DJ

You know you can buy online aswell yeah?

I didn't actually, although I should have guessed! Cheers for the heads-up! How do you actually do that? When I tried looking it just kept directing me to my nearest store!

In return I offer the following titbit:

This week they have packs of sandpaper sheets on offer, 20 sheets for 79p a pack! I got 3 packs, must go get more!

You just cannot have too much cheap sandpaper! :D

DJ

Cool, no worries!

When you're there get some belt sander belts (5 for £1.99), aluminium mini clamps (4 for £1.99), and they always have glues for a good price! They also have the usual screwdriver and socket sets, as well as various "tool kits" in differing sizes - I'm sure you've seen them everywhere! Saw guides as well.

DJ

Re: sandpaper, I'd rather spend four times as much on 3M or other decent paper, as it'll outlast the cheap stuff, give me a better finish, and quite literally be cheaper per piece of wood sanded. Used to buy the cheap stuff, then got some decent paper (3M frecut gold, stuff StewMac has), and I'm never, ever going back.

Yeah, especially with those real cheap-o places. I once bought sandpaper at Harbor freight. Seemed cheap at checkout but when actually using the stuff, it was obvious that it was the most costly sandpaper I had ever used. Just went to nothing right away.

Only bought the best since then. Actually spent around $300 last time I made a sandpaper order.

Yeah, especially with those real cheap-o places. I once bought sandpaper at Harbor freight. Seemed cheap at checkout but when actually using the stuff, it was obvious that it was the most costly sandpaper I had ever used. Just went to nothing right away.

Only bought the best since then. Actually spent around $300 last time I made a sandpaper order.

That Harbor Freight stuff is probably used cat litter on used flypaper!

Its amazing how much of a difference there is between good and bad sandpaper. I need to save up a bit and buy some bulk, it'd be cheaper than buying those small bundles from the local store all the time, plus I can't find certain paper at my stores. Do you have a specific place you prefer to buy the stuff online Soap?

Funny there is a thread going at OLF now that is about quality of sandpaper.

Edited by jmrentis

Aldi also have good kit sometimes (well I use the trem "good" losely)

They had a little band saw for £40 which obviously wasn't great but looked like a good forty quids worth. No matter how many hints I dropped to the wife, she still didn't get me one though..... but has just spent about twice that on shoes.

Aldi also have good kit sometimes (well I use the trem "good" losely)

They had a little band saw for £40 which obviously wasn't great but looked like a good forty quids worth. No matter how many hints I dropped to the wife, she still didn't get me one though..... but has just spent about twice that on shoes.

I feel your pain brother :D

DJ