Multiscale Baritone

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love you too :D:D

been working on the bridge design:

XL803893.jpg

still massively oversized but i wanted to make sure it was all workable before i took it down further, its graphtech/wilkinson saddles bolted to an ebony plate offcut from the fretboard (like on blackmachine guitars)

• 1 month later...

Looking great wez!

it was time for a test fit to see if it all worked... for the most part it did other than one piddly little detail. The bloody 0.062" low E string will not fit through the locking sperzel tuner post. after trying every tuner in teh house it seems it will fit most tuner posts except the sperzel and schaller locking tuners. I have ordered some mini-grovers instead. anyway, glad i did a test fit!!

here it is with 5 strings, a block of ebony for a temporary nut and the wrong pickup again... it will recieve an f-spaced black enamel covered pickup with 2 rows of black cap head allen bolts

testfit1.jpg

testfit3.jpg

seems like it will sound like a beast once i have it nicely set-up

If you still want sperzels (nice machines, those) TKinstruments can get one custom made with a hole of up to .070" - earlier in the thread you mention using a 72 for the lowest string, so that puts you out of luck, though, if you're staying with that gauge. Just thought I'd mention it.

This is looking great though - awesome job so far!

oh right, thanks for that - i will look into it

the strings i am trying are 0.062" - d'addario light baritone set. i also have a medium baritone set thats 0.068 on the low B - i guess heavier than that is out of the question but i think it will be more than enough meat

Looking good Wez! Loving the timber you have used, looking forward to seeing her all done.

Good point eddie on the strings, but that would be a bit of a pain in the rear everytime you would do a restring wouldn't it?

It's really not too bad. I cut it down so that it will get a few turns around the post; this will usually leave a little of the winding sticking out so that you can grab it with some needle-nose pliers. Just start unwinding around the core (probably a few dozen times) and you're good to go.

these do have thinner sections on the end but that thinner section ends somewhere off the end of my headstock... so i could get it to work like that - but i would have an unhealthy amount of winds around the tuner

i suppose unwinding is one option but its not very user friendly, one of the reasons i am using locking tuners on a hardtail guitar is for ease of restringing.. if thats not going to be the case i might as well use normal tuners that will fit the string.

so i ordered some normal tuners and i will also contact sperzel about a custom tuner

i solved my red wenge issue

XL804253.jpg

this was done with some black fingerboard stain. because the stain flashes off pretty quickly its quite 'dry' to work with. i masked off the edges and started staining from the middle. as the cloth with the stain on dried out i moved to around the edges. this ensured that no black stain seeped under the tape. I then followed with two coats of tru-oil to lock the colour in place. i will let that dry for a day or two to minimise the chaces of any black being spread around when i continue to oil the rest of the guitar

i like it because its suitably dark but still shows a bit of the warmth the wenge had and it still feels nicely woody!!

i also found the original sketch i was sent by the customer

IMG_0629.jpg

it was time for a test fit to see if it all worked... for the most part it did other than one piddly little detail. The bloody 0.062" low E string will not fit through the locking sperzel tuner post. after trying every tuner in teh house it seems it will fit most tuner posts except the sperzel and schaller locking tuners. I have ordered some mini-grovers instead. anyway, glad i did a test fit!!

Please check this out before trying as I do not want to be responsible for damage to your Sperzel!

I drilled the things out on my 2 of my Parker Flies to accept the .056 I was running as a low E years ago. They used to use a ball bearing to lock the string so if you screw the lock all the way out you might get the size you need....

j.pierce mentioned on the previous page that TK instruments offer the 0.070 string hole as an option on custom sperzel sets... but they dont deliver to the UK so i phoned sperzel direct to see if i could order direct or find a UK dealer. They were willing to do me just one tuner - but i respect peoples time, especially when they offer good customer service so i thought the least i could do was order the full set

• 3 weeks later...

been piling on the tru-oil, this is where i stand now

oil2.jpg

oil1.jpg

th_oil3.jpgth_oil4.jpgth_oil5.jpg

you can see there is still quite a bit of colour in the top, its almost more rosewoody.. i like it. I think the next step is so soften it all down to more of a satin finish then get the thing together