Cheapest guitar deal ever

Ace

i think korea guitar company enable quality Guitar,

but korea guitar company is failed in marketting. and have no super guitarlist.

Hi,

I don't think it's marketing as much as it is perception and timing. If you look at Japan as an example, in the post war years through the '60s anything that said "made in Japan" was considered to be of the lowest quality. In the 70s, they came into their own, when their skilled labor and quality control became world-class. They nearly put the US auto industry out of business (at least according to GM) and they started making quality guitars like they had something to prove! After the lawsuits in the '70s, people started to catch on to the fact that the quality was there. And they started marketing. But the stigma still existed through the 80s, and exists today that the Japanese quality is sub-par - then there's the lingering WWII hard feeling as well. But now many of these instruments are becoming collectable, and it is almost cost prohibitive to use japanese manual labor today.

If you look at Korea, or even China or Viet Nam, they are on the same path as Japan. '90s Korean manufacturing is akin to Japan in the 70s. The quality is there, and their skilled labor is more expensive as a result. I do think that some of the Samick guitars made in Korea in the late '90s are very well made, they're trying very hard to prove that they can compete quality wise. The finish, hardware and setup are all very good. I'm sure many of the RG fans here will agree. But it's going to take a while for the "made in Korea" stigma to go away. Who knows maybe some of the Korean guitars of today will become collectable like the Japanese "Lawsuit" models of the '70s.

The folks at ICW are saying really good things about the new Ibanez SZ 520 (korean made) and they're all pretty hardcore fans of the Japanese made models.

-Sven

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well to be real the guys buying them are generally begginers(first guitar) and so really are not aware of what a guitar is supposed to feel and sound like.they are the ones posting reviews.

i remember the first time i played a gibson explorer.now i know about the neck pocket problems but they are exceptionally well playing guitars when set up right.but it was like night and day between that and the guitar i had been playing(an applause crap plywood guitar)but i didn't know that anything was wrong with mine until then.

I know exactly what you mean. When I started I had a crappy Silvertone starter model, which was good to learn on, but then I tried out a Les Paul at a guitar shop and I knew the difference immediately.

The Samick guitar feels somewhat comparable to a real Explorer, the main difference being the pickups, which I mean to replace very soon, but the playing quality is great.

On the topic of beginner guitars, what's your take on that Behringer package that I've been hearing about lately?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I will never deny the quality of many asain instruments. ESP, Schecter, and Ibanez are some. I dont agreee with some of the prices there, but the samicks, Paul Stanley silvertones, and Jay Tursers are good value & quality. But the real rip off is the workers. They do work harder than us for less than we spend on a damn taco.

thank many comment...

in korea.. i think good quality Guitar is dame Guitar.

i heard when i buy birtheye maple( My birtheye maple sales merchant is supply korea Guitar Company, buy Maple or Ebony in Canada or Indian and sales korea Guitar Campany).

Dame Guitar use only good quality wood.

and wood is not good quality Dame Guitar Campany not use.

so wood merchant hate Dame Guitar ^^.

and when Dame meet Good wood.. dame give Expensive cost, and buy..

2002-07b2b6mf.jpg

this is not my guitar. this is dame b2b model.

1.jpg

this image is my homepage's visitor's Pic T_T

this guitar is Samick Guitar.

Dame guitar homepage is http://damelife.co.kr

i'm not Dame Guitar people.. i'm computer programmer..

making guitar is my hobby and dream..

and check my teacher's homepage http://www.almaguitar.com

he made only Classic guitar.

bye..

westhemann!

that is you look pic?

p03_gal_img26.jpg

this is Robert Ruck masterClass in korean Pic.

center man is Robert Ruck (American ruthiers)

I had seen that guitar on Musicyo myself and read some reviews on Harmony Central about it. Well, how can it not be a good guitar "for the money" at 60 bucks? But all I was thinking was that maybe it's a good neck and a few usable parts to make a guitar with. The neck did get favorable reviews. Anyone actually played one of these $59.00 Kramers? I'm a skilled woodworker (professional cabinetmaker), but I'm not a luthier, so the neck really isn't something I would want to spend my time on. With CNC routers and such, it seems that an excellant neck can be made very inexpensively these days. That leaves me with more time to make a unique looking body out of some special wood(s) and have a guitar that is uniquely mine without a lot of cost or time in the project. So I'm always on the lookout for a cheap way to get a good neck, and this seemed like a possibility.

As far as the body is concerned .... it seems to me that body blanks and premade unfinished bodies are a rip off. Carvin has pretty good prices on a lot of their stuff, and yet, an alder body blank is $50.00. Alder is a very cheap cabinet wood. Pretty much always used for paint grade work. Nothing special at all. I pay about $2.00 a board foot (12"x12"x 13/16"), so that's about $8.00 for a 14"x20"x 1 3/4" blank. For cabinet work, we always buy 8' or longer material. Short boards (under 6') are sold at a discount. I have all sorts of walnut, mahogany, exotics, laying around my shop that can be glued up into body blanks. Sometimes, I take all this "scrap" and make cutting boards for my clients at Xmas time. Come to think of it, most of those cutting boards were about 14"x20"x 1 3/4"! So if you want to make your own guitar body, I would suggest going to some local cabinet shop and seeing what they have. Probably a win/win deal for both of you.

But , I digress ...... anyone familiar with those Kramer $59.00 specials, please let me know what you think about the neck. Wasn't that what I started out with???