Solid Zebrawood Something Or Other

So I purchased this zebrawood a long time ago just because of the unusual cut. I finally got around to gluing up a blank and I really don't know what to do with it. The blank is obviously a neck through and there is enough space to do a:

Les Paul

S shape

Viper

or I could glue tips on and make a V shape

It's a non-commissioned build so I'm open to suggestions on what would look best with this lumber!

The only concrete decisions I've made is : 25.5 ebony board and a Kahler bridge, I'm thinking I might leave the rest of the build up to your suggestions!

100_4303.jpg

I say you add tips and do an ML :D I can only remember seeing one ML on the board and that one was never finished, at least not on here, as far as I know.

I don't have enough lumber to make an ML, I'd need more than tips for that. Although, I'd like to build an ML someday. The SG is an option though

I'm always in favor of a brand new bodyshape.

I've got some zebrawood sitting around that I'm about to start a new project with too!

I haven't decided on the design yet, but it's going to be a neckthru of curly maple / walnut with zebrawood wings.

The cut on mine is nothing like yours though, it's the more typical stripes.

Whatever you do it should look awesome.

I saw on Stew Mac that TV Jones makes a hot over wound PAF that looks just like the TV'tron so the vintage style pickups might work (damn expensive though) They are similar to the ones used on my 76' Guild S100 so that would be cool.

I was researching the SG shape and it doesn't seem like they make them with a 25.5 scale length so the bridge would look out of place or I'd have to elongate the body.

So, I'm thinking I might just go with the viper since it's essentially a stretched out SG

559868.jpg

This is a Viper. I'm horrible with phontoshop mockups but if anyone would like to take the Zebrak pattern and put it on this it would be cool to see what it might look like.

I saw on Stew Mac that TV Jones makes a hot over wound PAF that looks just like the TV'tron so the vintage style pickups might work (damn expensive though) They are similar to the ones used on my 76' Guild S100 so that would be cool.

I was researching the SG shape and it doesn't seem like they make them with a 25.5 scale length so the bridge would look out of place or I'd have to elongate the body.

Do you really thing 3/4" on the bridge placement would be that noticeable? I won't say it wouldn't be, but that'd be the difference between Gibson's standard 24.75 and your 25.5.

FWIW: You can often find Gretch pups on eBay for >$100/pair. They might be an acceptable alternative to the TVJ. Guitar Fetish might have some clones for a fraction of the price as well.

Yea, TV Jones would be really pricey. They have a unique jangle to them, though. I'm hoping to use them on the "masterpiece guitar" I have dreamed up for a couple years from now.

i just did it with mine - kept the bridge in the usual place and had 24 frets.... but i reckon you should do a viper anyway. personally i am not sure a tv jones and kahler should be put on the same build - seems wrong somehow, but i suppose the TV jones range has increased a lot in the last few years so they might have something that suits.

How dry is the zebrano?

It’s very dry; it was wetted with Naphtha in the picture and sitting in the shade. It’s actually so dry that it didn’t give off much of that “zebra” smell when I cut it and thickness planed it.

I’m not sure how the TVJ pickups would look next to a Kahler. I think it depends on the rest of the look of the guitar but the more drastic bevels of the Viper would enhance the look of the Kahler. However, a Kahler doesn’t really hearken back to the days of TVJ pickups so I may have to give or take a bit. I might end up having a buyer for this guitar so I might need to go with what they have in mind. If that’s the case I can guarantee it will have a gold Kahler hybrid if he doesn’t take it, then it will get a Black Kahler.

I’m taking my time with this one and really deciding on what I’d like to do. I’m really leaning to the side of an amber tinted clear coat. Neal Moser did a zebra guitar like that a few years ago and it really looked awesome. But then again, that all depends on if this guy decides he wants it.

This perhaps wasn't the best use of my time when I have an exam tomorrow... (but boredom drove me to it :D)

559868copy.jpg

Just don't put dot inlays :D use the trapezoid ones or the ESP flag inlays :D

Well with that wood for a body and a neck I personally feel I'd be doing the guitar a injustice if I didn't go with a nicely dyed black as could be ebony board. Might do a custom inlay job but nothing to busy. The body will be busy enough and making an elaborate inlay might detract from the guitar altogether. I might even go with zero inlays and give the neck a clean look.

Might do a custom inlay job but nothing to busy. The body will be busy enough and making an elaborate inlay might detract from the guitar altogether. I might even go with zero inlays and give the neck a clean look.

well, i don't think trapezoids would take any attention from the body wood, i see it as a complement that adds a touch of class, if you will

I completely agree with this rebuttal. Simple block or trapezoid MOP inlays would be great. They wouldn't detract from the body at all. If you don't like that idea, plain dots would look great as well.

Since you're going with the Viper, TVJ pups would be out of place. The Khaler returns to being "right". So... are you planning on going with a hot-rod set, or some basic PAF clones?

Ebony FBs aren't so expensive they can't be used. Why go through the effort of dying one black when you can have the real thing?

Might do a custom inlay job but nothing to busy. The body will be busy enough and making an elaborate inlay might detract from the guitar altogether. I might even go with zero inlays and give the neck a clean look.

well, i don't think trapezoids would take any attention from the body wood, i see it as a complement that adds a touch of class, if you will

I completely agree with this rebuttal. Simple block or trapezoid MOP inlays would be great. They wouldn't detract from the body at all. If you don't like that idea, plain dots would look great as well.

Since you're going with the Viper, TVJ pups would be out of place. The Khaler returns to being "right". So... are you planning on going with a hot-rod set, or some basic PAF clones?

Ebony FBs aren't so expensive they can't be used. Why go through the effort of dying one black when you can have the real thing?

Most ebony boards aren't uniformly black and most have dye on them. I'd just want to make sure this one was uniform in it's color. I'm not sure what to do with pickups. I've made severa guitars with solid zebra wood wings and they tend to be vary warm. I might go with Live Wires for this one but I'll have to think about it.

Do I want to go extreme with everything- wood choice, inlay, electronics or go classic with it? The wood choice seems like it could go either way.