Vai Er' Zappa

Snork

Who wins in a duel?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hell, I think Frank probably invented the term 'guitar wanking'. It even sounds like something he'd come up with.

Frank never really considered himself a 'super-duper' guitar player in the first place. He considered himself a composer first who 'just happened' to play guitar as his primary instrument.

Frank smokes Steve in every musical way (I think even Steve would admit to that)except for sheer wankness, where Steve could easily whip Frank, but Frank wouldn't really care...after all, Steve was Frank's 'hired gun' anyway, that's what he was good at.

Well...except maybe transcribing. I doubt Frank could transcribe as well as Steve, who is/was a master at it.

Frank could create orchestral movements in his head sitting at an airport, but I don't think he had anywhere near the patience or talent to transcribe someone -Else's- stuff the way Steve could/did...

yeah. thats how vai got into the mothers. transcribing like a 20 min solo. and giving it to frank. its so fu**in funny on the palladium halloween vid. from 81' the end solo by vai is pretty soulful surprisingly. but when he gets into the wankingness he gets mad pissed at vai because hes soloing better its just hes drowned out by vais loud ass high pitch. so at the end you just see frank mutter (Fuc* head). so funny. i love em'

Actually, transcribing some of Franks pieces is how Steve came to his attention. At that time, Frank was not capable of writing music, and Steve did it for him.

And on at least one album all the musicians but Steve were listed with the instrument that they played. Steve's was listed as "Strat abuse".

Guitar Ed

"Watch out where those huskies go. Don't you eat that yellow snow."

steve vai is a master guitarist,

those who have listened through his solo stuff

know he's got more soul than some of the best,

guitar duel with zappa?

Vai=winner

BUT ZAPPA IS DA MAN!!!!!

he will always be a freakin legend

but you asked about a GUITAR duel

and i don't think zappa could touch vai

....maybe an orchestra vs guitar duel or something..

If Zappa was still alive I'll bet he could have been president, a real statesman. He had more imagination than any other composer/musician and he didn't bullshit around. I noticed a lot of women don't like his music because of his lurid lyrics and innuendo, sure, taken right to the edge, but still true with a huge dose of humor to boot.

He was also responsible for giving a lot of musicians the break they needed, ie. giving them a chance to work with a master who arranges complicated pieces. They went on to form their own successful careers afterwards. His filmography like 200 Motels and Baby Snakes are masterpieces. I might add that EVERYTHING Zappa did live and in studios was recorded in one form of another. He had huge archives in his basement and was very secretive and possessive about his material.

Saw him twice in concert and he was quite reserved. Kinda funny just seeing him sit on a stool at center stage smoking a cigarette with a cup of coffee while the rest of the band is going apeshit around him (TWO drummers). But when he steps up to play the guitar... WHAM. Just listen to the live cut "Son Of Orange County" on Roxy and Elsewhere and you'll hear what I mean.

I never did like comparing musicians/guitarists, its like apples and oranges. Maybe Vai is the better guitarist (faster, whats "better" anyway?) but Zappa was the better musician and showman, handsdown.

steve vai is a master guitarist,

those who have listened through his solo stuff

know he's got more soul than some of the best,

guitar duel with zappa?

Vai=winner

BUT ZAPPA IS DA MAN!!!!!

he will always be a freakin legend

but you asked about a GUITAR duel

and i don't think zappa could touch vai

....maybe an orchestra vs guitar duel or something..

yup :D

Frank was a truly inspired guitarist, a great composer and an outstanding social critic - his iconoclastic wit has been sorely missed in the years following his death. Steve has also developed into a good writer, but he's an consummate technician and the complete master of his instrument. But for full-blown, balls-out, silly-assed rock wankmanship, all you have to do is check the original DLR band live videos - Steve sets his own standard, not only using every trick in the book without breathing hard, but grinning and posing the whole time! He and Sheehan were Rock'N'Roll embodied (well, maybe you had to be there) :D

yeah but wheres the soul! and i think his tone kind of sounds the same. I'd like to hear some acoustic stuff or him play on a telecaster with a fender reverb amp with no pedals. Pure out playing. Maybe you can recomend one of his songs to me. and dont say for the love of god please i've heard it a million times. i like it but not as much as any of zappas songs. lol crew slut is a great song.

i love vai, but he learned his style from zappa. zappa would kill vai, and steve knows it.