topwet1.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...%201/topdry.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...201/topwet2.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...01/topcarve.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...arveprofile.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...201/backdry.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...01/backwet1.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/av...01/backwet2.jpg

My first PRS body is as done as it's gonna get. I still kinda wish I was keeping it, but i gotta fund this new obsession somehow. :D I owe my thanks to a certain member who helped me greatly through the PMs. You know who you are, and I greatly appreciate your help, input, and encouragement.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a link to the listing when it goes up on eBay later today. Alternatively, you could do a seller name search for avengers63. This is just for curiosity - I'm not asking anyone here to buy what they could make themselves, and with better results to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

fair enough... but i would be wary because you make it sound like a standard fender neck will fit. so if i was buying this i would expect that i could pick up a cheap fender style neck to put on it, most likely a strat one since they are so easily available. but your neck pocket is square and a fender neck may fit but there would be gaps.

if you plan on doing more i would suggest you go for the standard shaped strat neck pocket because it will make it so much easier for anyone who buys one and that will lead to positive feedback

fair enough... but i would be wary because you make it sound like a standard fender neck will fit. so if i was buying this i would expect that i could pick up a cheap fender style neck to put on it, most likely a strat one since they are so easily available. but your neck pocket is square and a fender neck may fit but there would be gaps.

if you plan on doing more i would suggest you go for the standard shaped strat neck pocket because it will make it so much easier for anyone who buys one and that will lead to positive feedback

That's a fair assessment and a very reasonable suggestion. The pocket dimensions are the same: 2 3/16" x 5/8" x 3", which is the standard Fender pocket size. It's a good point about the square pocket vs. a rounded pocket. I'll have to remember that in the future. I honestly don't remember who/why this one ended up square, but that won't be happeninf in the future.

I was a naysayer, and I still am. I think your final sale price had more to do with the quality of your 'marketing speak' and possible buyer ignorance. You sell it with minor imperfections, and someone's willing to buy something with imperfections. I'm not. I wouldn't sell a guitar body unless I was sure there were no such imperfections, and I sure as hell wouldn't buy something that's not as good as it can be. I'm willing to pay the right price to get that though, whereas you're selling on the cheap.

Also, your marketing blurb is bordering on the ridiculous. You talk of mahogany and sapele mentioning their uses by Gibson or in acoustic guitars, as if you picked them for their qualities and tone. You didn't, it's plain to see from your previous posting that you just put this together from cheap scraps you have lying around.

I would have liked to have seen the final price if you'd included a link to this or the previous thread in your auction listing.

Also, your marketing blurb is bordering on the ridiculous. You talk of mahogany and sapele mentioning their uses by Gibson or in acoustic guitars, as if you picked them for their qualities and tone. You didn't, it's plain to see from your previous posting that you just put this together from cheap scraps you have lying around.

What a shame that you're wrong. The mahogany and sapele were bought specifically to be used in bodies. I was well aware that they have been used for ages and have a proven track record. Likewise, the chechen was bought specifically to be used as a top. I won't deny that I wasn't exactly sure how they'd be assembled until I had them all, but the original intent was always to use them in bodies, and that I DID pick them for their qualities and tone.

Listen, you can disapprove of it all you like. That's your perogative. You can even refuse to admit that you don't like seeing me succede and get a result beyond my goal. You can try and burst my bubble and take a #2 on this all you like. You can even try and put words into my mouth that were never there. You're not adding anything positive, which means the only reason to do these things is to run me down in some way. I've lived through this attitude for 11 years in my ex-wife, and I recognise it a mile away. I also know through bitter experience that arguing this with you is pointless, therefore I'm done responding to you.

I'm not trying to spark debate here, and I certainly hope I don't do so. But 45% above the cost of materials is very modest, considering the time you put in. I'm not saying that's not respectable for a hobbyist either, but for someone to get a true one of a kind custom body for under a hundred bucks.... I say that person got a good deal.

Well done, avengers.

What a shame that you're wrong. The mahogany and sapele were bought specifically to be used in bodies. I was well aware that they have been used for ages and have a proven track record. Likewise, the chechen was bought specifically to be used as a top. I won't deny that I wasn't exactly sure how they'd be assembled until I had them all, but the original intent was always to use them in bodies, and that I DID pick them for their qualities and tone.

Listen, you can disapprove of it all you like. That's your perogative. You can even refuse to admit that you don't like seeing me succede and get a result beyond my goal. You can try and burst my bubble and take a #2 on this all you like. You can even try and put words into my mouth that were never there. You're not adding anything positive, which means the only reason to do these things is to run me down in some way. I've lived through this attitude for 11 years in my ex-wife, and I recognise it a mile away. I also know through bitter experience that arguing this with you is pointless, therefore I'm done responding to you.

You didn't even know what the chechen was, I doubt you could have picked it for tone when you didn't know what it was, but whatever, you're obviously so stubborn that you'll do this anyway. My honest opinion is that you've got a good start base of skill, just you need to practise more before you start selling, because by your own admission (see quote in a second) you don't have the skills yet:

"Overall, I think it may be time to stop with this body. There's a point when you're just making things worse if you keep tinkering with it, and I think I'm there. I know there's a way around the mistakes I've made, I just don't have the skill or knowledge to do it right now. "

I really don't care if you succeed or not, I'm not emotional about this at all, I'm just calling it how I see it. I'd only care about you succeeding or whatever if I was the person who bought the body from you, which thankfully I'm not. To turn me into some symbolic representation of the way you feel about your ex-wife who didn't love you enough because I don't just say "YOU GO MAN, SELL IT A MILLION TIMES, YOU ROCK" is a bit unreasonable. Maybe you should ask a refund from whatever therapist was previously helping you through that, because it obviously didn't work.

This isn't the place for for personal comments like that.

Avengers you are always going to have someone that takes exception to selling your work I think you were pretty honest on your ebay sale. I can't see anything wrong with what you did. I'd urge you not to respond again its just going to spiral.

Supernova You've made your point we get it you don't approve and as you yourself said it doesn't affect you so why keep picking the scab?

Lets all take a big breath and release. Isn't that better?

I'm not trying to spark debate here, and I certainly hope I don't do so. But 45% above the cost of materials is very modest, considering the time you put in. I'm not saying that's not respectable for a hobbyist either, but for someone to get a true one of a kind custom body for under a hundred bucks.... I say that person got a good deal.

Well done, avengers.

Thanks guys. You're right - the "profit" isn't that much in comparison to the work done. But, time spent learning sonething, which this largely was, is never lost. Considering that I'm not in this to make a mint, it's more than I was anticipating, and I'm not dealing in the most seller friendly marketplace to boot (eBay), I'll take it with glandess in my heart.

WezV & fryovanni: Thanks for the support. Whether or not you personally agree with what I'm trying to do, you're making suggestions to help me do it as best as I can. I appreciate your support and positive input.

You didn't even know what the chechen was, I doubt you could have picked it for tone when you didn't know what it was, but whatever, you're obviously so stubborn that you'll do this anyway. My honest opinion is that you've got a good start base of skill, just you need to practise more before you start selling, because by your own admission (see quote in a second) you don't have the skills yet:

"Overall, I think it may be time to stop with this body. There's a point when you're just making things worse if you keep tinkering with it, and I think I'm there. I know there's a way around the mistakes I've made, I just don't have the skill or knowledge to do it right now. "

I really don't care if you succeed or not, I'm not emotional about this at all, I'm just calling it how I see it. I'd only care about you succeeding or whatever if I was the person who bought the body from you, which thankfully I'm not. To turn me into some symbolic representation of the way you feel about your ex-wife who didn't love you enough because I don't just say "YOU GO MAN, SELL IT A MILLION TIMES, YOU ROCK" is a bit unreasonable. Maybe you should ask a refund from whatever therapist was previously helping you through that, because it obviously didn't work.

Supernova - I kind of agree with you but at the same time, avenger was up front and honest about the quality of his work in the auction. For the person that bought it, yeah, he might be disappointed but that's what happens when you buy a guitar body from an unknown ebay'er with unknown rep. The chosen for tone bit... LOL! Who cares. Its all marketing BS anyways but its not because he didn't know what chechen was that he didn't think it could make a nice top.

For avenger though, its a good deal and all the power to him. I'm sure that most hobbyists and tinkerers would be satisfied with his work.

Supernova - I kind of agree with you but at the same time, avenger was up front and honest about the quality of his work in the auction. For the person that bought it, yeah, he might be disappointed but that's what happens when you buy a guitar body from an unknown ebay'er with unknown rep. The chosen for tone bit... LOL! Who cares. Its all marketing BS anyways but its not because he didn't know what chechen was that he didn't think it could make a nice top.

For avenger though, its a good deal and all the power to him. I'm sure that most hobbyists and tinkerers would be satisfied with his work.

He wasn't up front and honest about it - none of the 'imperfections' were shown, all the photographs were of poor quality and too far away to see any detail. Is it fair that the person might be disappointed? That's why so many people here warn against people selling their guitars for a while, because it's happened many times before and the buyer is the one who gets stung.

Marketing BS is still BS, doesn't make it any more true, and it still smells like s***. And most of the hobbyists/tinkerers on this board whose work I want to emulate and respect I don't think would be satisfied with that. But hey.

He wasn't up front and honest about it - none of the 'imperfections' were shown, all the photographs were of poor quality and too far away to see any detail. Is it fair that the person might be disappointed? That's why so many people here warn against people selling their guitars for a while, because it's happened many times before and the buyer is the one who gets stung.

Marketing BS is still BS, doesn't make it any more true, and it still smells like s***. And most of the hobbyists/tinkerers on this board whose work I want to emulate and respect I don't think would be satisfied with that. But hey.

Yeah, I sure as hell wouldn't want to buy this particular body... but the ebay'er that bought it, did so knowing that if the pictures were blurry, they were probably that way for a reason, no? Buyer beware is what I say.

As an ebay'er, there's no way I would have bought that body. It just looks/feels subpar... for me. Much of the bodies sold on ebay are crap anyways. Just the quality of the pics makes the whole thing look subpar and is a warning sign. If its not avenger selling bodies liek this, it'll be someone else.

Honestly Supernova, I think that you have crossed a line as to being relevant to the topic then turning into being a real jerk. Making cracks about his ex-wife and talking about his ``therapist``just to help prove your so called point was completely un-justified. The guy is just trying to help fund his hobby buy selling his bodies, and if people buy it, all the power to them. Its buyer beware on ebay, and if you don`t like it there is nothing you can do about it and attacking him just makes you look less intelligent in the long run.

Bass-man