Avia Custom - Yellow Carved Quilt-ish-ness W/ Super Extras =]

I know what you mean - but if you're talking about a design with absolutely no gaps, then you've got absolutely no margin for error, so even a small shrinkage would be too much, know what I'm getting at?

This looks like a great build though, even if I'm dubious about your reasoning for not using glue on the neck joint after gluing together some laminates. Anyhoo.

Not securing the neck would be a poor idea. Wood does shrink and expand, as well as relax over time. There would be no good tolerance for such a joint. If you made it undersized and a press fit, you would impose extra stress initially whe the wood expanded. If you were spot on you would have a loose joint when the wood shrunk. One thing is for sure if a joint becomes loose it will dampen, and cause problems.

I personally don't put much into the glue/dampening theory, unless the joint sucks to begin with. Of course I take no issue with properly assembled and servicable mechanical joints. I use glue for most of my joints on my acoustic components, and prefer the serviability of a mechanical neck joint.

The build is looking nifty, and the details should be slick. If this is your first shell purfling job, you are going to be very happy when you are finished. It is a great feeling when you step back and look at all that shiny shell. I bet all that bling is going to be a real attension grabber.

Peace,Rich

Neck pieces arrived, one 3/4/20" Mahogany blank and flamed maple center laminate. Cut/planed/glued

The neck blank in the third pic is not the neck blank for the long tenon neck that is pictured later in the pictorial. What did you do with the first neck blank?

You know, I could find a nice, loving home for that shorter blank :D

pearl arrived today and the neck is done! I'll post pics tomorrow when i wake up. Next is fretting

to answer a few questions/comments

I meant to type 30" not 20, and its the same blank in all the pictures its just the way i figured out to cut the scarf I can get an extra 8" or so over the 3 to 4" past the end of the fretboard that I would already have. If I can remember I'll draw up a diagram of how I did it. Makes a short blank long enough for a neck-thru or deep tenon using this method

Yup its my first pearl and purfling job and it turned out great.

I dont think i'll be able to use the yellow dye, the pearl has strong green accents all through it. Doesnt seem like it will color coordinate!

Neck Pocket Talk: Yeah I was thinking about expansion and contraction as well.

about using glued laminates, it doesn't directly contradict my glueless neck pocket since the laminates run parallel to each other. All pieces of the neck would be in direct contact with the top and the body. make sense?

I have to decide what color would suit this now consideringthe color of the pearl! Suggestions welcome

Is there a point where it becomes "too much" binding....? :D On the headstock, not so much, but definitely on the fretboard. I'm all for nice binding that hides the tang, but that's about it. But hey, you're not building it for me (like you should be :D).

I'm glad you cut through the abalone on the fretboard, though. Trying to seat a whole fret into half a fret slot would have been fun. Actually, because you're losing so much length on each side anyways, would gluing the frets in be an option?

I love that headstock shape, though! I just would have made it a tad larger to make up for the visual "thinning" tricks the binding plays on the eyes.

Thickness is just under 1mm. It would definitely be easier to bind the top after its glued down but with a deep tenon I couldn't route the binding channels where the body meets the neck on the top side, if its glued on so I had to do it all before. Technically I could have routed the channels and waited until the top was attached to the body to glue the bindings in

Edited by piedpiperX2000

I meant to type 30" not 20, and its the same blank in all the pictures its just the way i figured out to cut the scarf I can get an extra 8" or so over the 3 to 4" past the end of the fretboard that I would already have. If I can remember I'll draw up a diagram of how I did it. Makes a short blank long enough for a neck-thru or deep tenon using this method

I have not attempted a neck-through but I am very interested in seeing how you did that.

Great work BTW. Looks great.

Edited by madawgony

• 2 weeks later...