Finished Project... Simple Simon

Hey guys.. just finished (for now).. i dont think theres more stuff to add..

THE SPECS

2pc light Alder body (strat shape,rear routed)

nice birdseye maple neck with stainless steel jumbo frets (i love it),Planetwaves Autotrim tuner (neat..! :D )

ALL Di Marzio pickups/pots/switches,Musicaps capacitors..and Schaller Floyd Rose with EVH D-Tuna

15adbfc5.jpg

6b05211a.jpg

but still... one more project.. about to finish.. an active preamp circuit with gain control.. just simple FET tranny stuff..

4c9ad889.jpg

adios...

the body only got 1 layer of lacquer,NO GLOSS.. (lazy or resonance..?? :D ) and 7-8 (forgot) layer of tung-oil & beeswax+orange oil for neck & fretboard.. and lacquer again for the headstock.. (like musicman axis..)

4a410b6c.jpg

i only polished the front side...

NOTE: the lock nut screw.. you can see a hairline/border between tung-oil & Lacquer..

7a72a0f4.jpg

electronics..

i use DiMarzio DP100 (super Distortion) for the bridge and DiMarzio DP215 (EVO2 bridge) for the neck position with push/pull (series/parallel switch) all wired with DiMarzio 500kpots (vol),500k-p/pull(tone) with.022uf Hovland Musicaps capacitor... blue connector for easy changing.. (wiring junkies.. :D)

9189f1fb.jpg

747d58a9.jpg

YES the neckplate sez KRAMER C5150 ... or is it..??

22f5c10a.jpg

I like simplicity too. SS looks good!

I see you have mounted the humbuckers without mounting rings. Is this a common thing? As well as keeping the look simple, does it alter the sound having them more rigidly mounted to the wood instead of hanging on screws and springs? (of course, I could only do that if my routing of the cavity was neat enough :D )

I like simplicity too. SS looks good!

I see you have mounted the humbuckers without mounting rings. Is this a common thing? As well as keeping the look simple, does it alter the sound having them more rigidly mounted to the wood instead of hanging on screws and springs? (of course, I could only do that if my routing of the cavity was neat enough :D )

thoughts on this subject are all over the place and vary quite vastly. i'll give you my take on direct mounting, and why it doesn't effect the tone. pickups are electromagnetic in nature, they pick up variations in the magnetic field. wood is not metal, it does not effect a magnetic field, so i feel mounting directly does not effect the tone, because there is no added variation in the magnetic field. things that effect tone significantly are things like what kind of frets are used, what kind of strings are used, anything that could percievably effect the magnetic field. wood is organic, its not going to do that. but my theory also opens up another can of worms, which i also have a theory on, which is, why do different body woods effect tone? and i think the answer to that is all in the strings. different woods will accentuate different frequency resonation in the strings, so the wood actually effects the way the string vibrates, which is what is picked up by the guitars pickups... again, its all theory, and just my thoughts on this, other people swear that direct mounting pickups has a tonal effect, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

by the way, make templates, and use template bits to route your cavities, then you don't have to worry about if your cavities were neat enough for it, cause they'd be just like your template.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

but my theory also opens up another can of worms, which i also have a theory on, which is, why do different body woods effect tone? and i think the answer to that is all in the strings. different woods will accentuate different frequency resonation in the strings, so the wood actually effects the way the string vibrates, which is what is picked up by the guitars pickups... again, its all theory, and just my thoughts on this, other people swear that direct mounting pickups has a tonal effect, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

You've got me thinking. How about this - the wood vibrates from the energy imparted by the vibrating strings. Since the pickup is solidly mounted, it too must vibrate. So as well as the strings vibrating above the pickup in the magnetic field, the pickup itself is also vibrating, i.e. moving relative to the strings - hence the wood/pickup vibration produces additional signal, and the amount and type of harmonics etc will be very much effected by the wood type and shape and resonances.

by the way, make templates, and use template bits to route your cavities, then you don't have to worry about if your cavities were neat enough for it, cause they'd be just like your template.

I do, and I am getting better at it each time :D As long as I don't slip...

but my theory also opens up another can of worms, which i also have a theory on, which is, why do different body woods effect tone? and i think the answer to that is all in the strings. different woods will accentuate different frequency resonation in the strings, so the wood actually effects the way the string vibrates, which is what is picked up by the guitars pickups... again, its all theory, and just my thoughts on this, other people swear that direct mounting pickups has a tonal effect, and they are certainly entitled to their opinion.

You've got me thinking. How about this - the wood vibrates from the energy imparted by the vibrating strings. Since the pickup is solidly mounted, it too must vibrate. So as well as the strings vibrating above the pickup in the magnetic field, the pickup itself is also vibrating, i.e. moving relative to the strings - hence the wood/pickup vibration produces additional signal, and the amount and type of harmonics etc will be very much effected by the wood type and shape and resonances.

I do, and I am getting better at it each time :D As long as I don't slip...

but if the body vibrating vibrates the pickups, why would it vibrate more direct mounted than it would ring mounted? you'd think itd have more freedom to vibrate as you say when its mounted in a ring, as opposed to direct mounted(which generally has some kind of foam underneat between the body and pickup.)

Edited by ElysianGuitars

but if the body vibrating vibrates the pickups, why would it vibrate more direct mounted than it would ring mounted? you'd think itd have more freedom to vibrate as you say when its mounted in a ring, as opposed to direct mounted(which generally has some kind of foam underneat between the body and pickup.)

Maybe it wouldn't vibrate more, but it would certainly vibrate differently. The pickup mounting rings, springs and screws would transmit the vibrations differently to wood, screws, and foam, and even add their own resonances.

Yep i agree.. direct mount pickups got nothing to do with tone.. its the player finger itself.. if u play great.. any (well tuned,intonated) guitar will sound great..

i just dont want to drill the 4 holes for the PU ring..

actually i'v got an aluminum plate/bar underneath.. and the pickups were bolted to the aluminum plate...

just like this....

image004.jpg

and the plate were bolted to the body.. with this setup i CAN easily set my pickup height WITHOUT worrying it will pops out from the wood.. (alot of people having probs like that..)

sort of like this..

image006.jpg

GOOD SETUP..

shimming the floyd saddles to match the fret radius.. end up with nice string action feel..

808e13bf.jpg

Yep i agree.. direct mount pickups got nothing to do with tone.. its the player finger itself.. if u play great.. any (well tuned,intonated) guitar will sound great..

i just dont want to drill the 4 holes for the PU ring..

actually i'v got an aluminum plate/bar underneath.. and the pickups were bolted to the aluminum plate...

just like this....

image004.jpg

and the plate were bolted to the body.. with this setup i CAN easily set my pickup height WITHOUT worrying it will pops out from the wood.. (alot of people having probs like that..)

sort of like this..

image006.jpg

GOOD SETUP..

shimming the floyd saddles to match the fret radius.. end up with nice string action feel..

808e13bf.jpg

wow, i really like the bar idea, that is really cool!

direct mouting makes a big difference.... a pickup will suddenly start vibrating with the rest of the body and that changes how it senses te strings... it works for some stuff but i prefer to ring mount and control the rest of the little differences