Anyone Play Exclusivey Their Own Guitars?

killemall8

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont think you get what i meant.

just because i dont have any of them, doesnt mean i wont only play them. i will never buy a guitar for my own use. the only guitars i will ever play are mine that i build. make sense?

and the only guitar i have now doesnt count because its not even playable yet. because i know you would say something about that second explorer thats in the works.

Edited by killemall8

I only have one acoustic, a Gretsch jumbo cutaway, and I'll not be making acoustics, so I'm automatically out.

That being said, I own 4 electrics right now: a Steinberger that I never play, a Carvin kit, the Tulip (almost done!), and the tele. Right now, the only electric I play is the tele, so I think I come pretty clost to qualifying in that sense. If the Carvin kit counts, then I definately qualify.

By the end of the year, I HOPE to have at least one more done. I'm not sure if it'll be the Avenger prototype or the formica topped thing I'm planning, but I have a goal.

Why would you not touch another brand name guitar?

I could give a flying **** who built my guitar (apart from perhaps for ethical reasons) its the six strings that are important everything else is just filla the oldies certainly didn't care Its not rock and roll!

Hand me an elastic band and I'll attempt to knck out a tune!

because ive never found a factory guitar that i liked more than mine. some have had lower action, but i love mine way more.

plus, to me, a guitar is 99 percent about looks and shape. you can make pretty much any guitar sound the same, but you cant get what exactly you want it to look like over the counter. like these bubinga exporers ive been making. where else can you get them besides the custom shop that charges around 2k for them?

I am waiting for an endorsement deal...but I am holding out till the second album sales are known! :D

I also won't read a book I haven't written either...fortunately I can type. B)

a guitar is 99 percent about looks and shape.

like women :D

Edited by psw

I only own guitars that I've built. I had a takamine G series (my first "real" acoustic) and a Godin SD, but both have long since been sold or racked for parts (I turned the Godin into a guitar hero controller, I know I'm sorry)

But thats not to say that if the right lowden, avalon, larrviee, goodall, olsen, or myka came along that I wouldn't buy it. I just haven't found one that I'd be willing to spend many thousands on.

I'm not too pompous that I would never play a guitar that I didn't make, but the reason that I play mine is that they are just that good (wait, can he say that?).

I was in guitar center earlier today and I played every acoustic in the store over $2500 and the black limba acoustic I just finished sounds nicer and plays better than any of them. So eat it taylor, I'm not paying thousands for an inferior product (yes, I did just say that).

The only guitars I own are kits (acoustic and an electric bass) that I have built. The first of every type of guitar I build, I keep. I wouldn't be against playing another guitar that I didn't make, I would just be more inclined to go with an Ibanez or high end Epiphone instead of a Gibson. I have a big problem with Gibson's prices, especially since I know how much it costs to build one now. Even with all the tools and parts for the first project it's still cheaper than a Gib. Well that's part of my price rant. I do think I am more inclined to play a guitar I've built for the simple reason that I've put a crapload of hours into making it mine.

I don't drive because I've yet to find a car in the shape of a guitar! :D

being a sound engineer I prefer to get good sounds rather than worry about the shape but I do know what you mean kindof.

my point is basicly what Daniel just said.

im sure if a guitar came around that i thought was better than mine (like most builders guitars here) i would be interested, if it was at a reasonable price.

i would never pay anything over 500 bucks for a guitar. it just doesnt make sense when i could make an exact copy of any guitar for 500 at most.

okay I see what you are saying killemall I just got the impression that you would touch a named guitar because it was named :D

If my playing was good enough and my music was making me money I'd see an expensive instrument as a viable purchase but as I am now no chance!

but the difference, Daniel, is that you do have a fair amount of money in your family.

hardly anything to me in this world is worth that much.

yes,

my point is not that i wouldnt play it just because it is a name brand, just that i could build one for less and have it exactly the way i want it and not just a few things i want.

Edited by killemall8

That's why when I listen to a good band then find out their guitarist plays an Epiphone, I like them more!

Didn't the guy from inxs play a squire? Aussies we need you! :D

The funny thing about epiphone is that they do actually have some stand alone instruments the two I know of are the crestwood and the riviera. I'd love a crestwood.

Daniel Not over here we aren't its raining again :D

Edited by joshvegas

Daniel, all im saying is we look at moneys worth differently.

if i remember correctly, when you were only 15 or 16, you built a spray booth, and it totaled like 1200 bucks. now where else can a kid that young get that much money besides his parents?

to me, spending 4k on a guitar would be a crime. that money could be used to build a guitar i really want, and still have 3500 left to help my family. no flame or attack intended.

Edited by killemall8

Well,K...I will say you take criticism very well....

I would like to play only my builds...but I have a couple of customs,with one more on the way(soon to start I hope)...and I keep finding my way back to the kxk v....

Why?because I am old now and my back hurts...and the kxk sits on me like a comfortable shirt...it sounds good and feels great...and even though my exploder has more bite and is just RAGING with metal tone...it hurts my back...it only weighs 9 pounds or so...but the v weighs like 4...

Didn't the guy from inxs play a squire? Aussies we need you!

It's a lovely sunny spring morning down here...

Prince still plays the hell out of that cheap hofner tele...some of his best tracks have sampled cardboard boxes for drums...some of his best lyrics don't appear in the standard dictionary!

I play a chinese squier and cost a lot to replace all the parts and pickups and repaint and mess around with it...but it sounds and plays great and is better and cheaper than I could build at the moment or a bottom line fender and not much different than if I had bought a neck and body and built it from scratch. (you can vote for it in this months GOTM :D )

Personally, I like a guitar with a bit of character and quirks to it. My sister used to studio roady for crowded house and others and most of those hit records were played on pretty crappy guitars that barely played in tune to get the individual sound and subtle guitar orchestration despite any number of name brands on hand.

I knew a guy (with too much money) who was 'investing' in guitars with a $20K Custom shop LP. He showed me a big high end custom gibson acoustic...I still preferred playing my old bolt on jap epiphone acoustic and played a lot better on it...and the non-players around preferred the sound too!

I don't see guitar building is a "cheap" alternative but a labour of love. To tool up further to build necks and fretting, to find and purchase timber and things is impractical for me and many others. To tool up to make a guitar and the cost of materials has to exceed $500. To make a good squier great can require only a few basic tools, a new set of strings and a lot of fiddling around and cost less second hand than some body blanks...just a thought.

There are plenty of really great guitars being made by CNC machines all over the place that feel good, look good, sound good...are good. You might need to be selective about that one you start with of course like selecting wood for a project. If you want something individual that does the same thing, well making it yourself is a good way...or having someone who has experience possibly better...but that costs.

If a guitar is 99 % looks and shape, the sound of any guitar is 99.9% player...

Even knowing what suits you means having a relationship with a lot of guitars over a lot of years and making the most of them that you can...without that, an important part of a guitar makers experience may be nothing if it is reduced to looks and shape alone.

just a few random thoughts...

pete