First Guitar Build

chops1983

Hey all,

Im new to this forum although i have known about project guitar for quite a while.

Just finished my first guitar build from scratch and would like to share it with you all. Since i started building it i have been calling it "Mark 1", so i guess thats what it will stay as. If anyone has any ideas about a better name let me know! Caro my logo is the last four letters of my surname Porcaro.

Some specs

Body: Teak with a Domed curly red gum top. (Theres a teak diamond inlay on the front aswell)

Neck: Victorian Ash with an Australian Bouree fingerboard.

Scale: 25.125 inch which is right in the middle of a Traditional Gibson and Fender. (wanted to try something different)

Bridge: Nashville tune - o matic with a Gotoh Tailpiece from stewmac

Tuners: Wilkinson mini flatlock

Pickups: Dimarzio DP 153 Fred in the neck and a Dimarzio DP 100 super distortion in the bridge. Really good combination for volume levels.

3 Way switching with traditional neck/neck and bridge/bridge selection.

1 Volume and 1 tone

Schaller strap locks

and a bone nut.

The finish is stained directly onto the timber which is a bit nerve racking but allows a traditional thin nitrocellulose finish. Im happy with the results for a first time effort.

Ive only finished the guitar 4 days ago, but im really happy with how it sounds and plays. Im looking forward to taking the new axe to jam this wednesday night and surprising the lads!

A few shout outs to Perry Ormsby for helping me with the clear lacquer, not only did he supply me with it but helped me with all the details on how to spray it etc. I really appreciated his help.

My brother Luke Porcaro for taking some snaps of it!

My wife for not seeing me on the weekends for 3 months and for listening to me talk about it all the time.

And project guitar.com and all the members for providing me with countless amounts of info along the way.

Anyway enough waffling, a few photos,

IMG_8737a.jpgCaroMark1123a.jpgIMG_8743a.jpgIMG_8735b.jpgIMG_8739a.jpg

Wow what a beautiful guitar!!! Lovin' it all the way around, the finish is very nice, I really like the design, and those woods are just gorgeous. Very well done and glad to have you aboard and look forward to seeing your future work. J

I really like it alot! The shape is unique in a curved pointy sort of way. That top sort of looks like black limba...a little bit. I like the darker stain, it's a clean burst. I'd shave a bit off of the bridge pickup mounting ring. I like to see a little bit of the pickup sticking up out of the hole but really, that's just my opinion.

Very nice. Did you spray the stain for the burst?

I did. I wiped the amber stain directly onto the wood with a rag then sprayed the burst starting with the brown i used for the back and then adding a bit more black as i went. I really had fun doing it and didn't find it that hard.

Nice in-progress shot! The only other comment I would have is that I didn't know the top wood looked that good; Myself, I'd have eased up a bit on the dark stain/burst, because you lose a bit of the cool look on the top.

Yeah i actually agree. This is the burst when i had just finished it. I absolutely loved it at this stage, it looked like someone had chucked it in the fire. But when i was doing my binding i had never done it before and i put a little bit too much pressure on the plastic so when i sprayed the stain it bled into the plastic. I wish now i had of keeped it at this stage and just lived with the binding. But by going dark to the edge it masked the bleed.

caromark1114a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Great work, excellent for a first build. How does it sound?

Well after playing it for 3 weeks now i can finally say it sounds great and plays really well (of course im going to say that :D ). Both the other guitarists in our band have played it and are really impressed. If i can work out a way to record a sound file of it ill put some up. Apart from a few cosmetic mistakes im quite proud of it and im already in the thought process of my next guitar.

Im thinking the same shape design but a semi hollow electric with a wraparound tailpiece combo. Probs humbuckers again but with PRS style 5 way rotary switch for the different tonal options.