Ormsby Guitars - Rick's Dc Customshop

You mean the Indian Rosewood plate?

Yes, it looks really dark, or maybe the pic doesn't do it justice, although it is a matter of taste. If it were me I would have used a lighter colour, it's a continuity thing

Just a question on the way you finish off you neck pockets to get the fit as tight as they are. Do you router them slightly smaller and finish off with a chisel, or do have templates that finishes them at the correct size.

When I saw the pic of you doing the neck fit it made me cringe a bit, but I guess if you weren't 110% you wouldn't have done it. I think I would have at least a mattress under there.

Edited by jaycee

You mean the Indian Rosewood plate?

Yes, it looks really dark, or maybe the pic doesn't do it justice, although it is a matter of taste. If it were me I would have used a lighter colour, it's a continuity thing

Just a question on the way you finish off you neck pockets to get the fit as tight as they are. Do you router them slightly smaller and finish off with a chisel, or do have templates that finishes them at the correct size.

When I saw the pic of you doing the neck fit it made me cringe a bit, but I guess if you weren't 110% you wouldn't have done it. I think I would have at least a mattress under there.

The rosewood matches the neck. Its a little hard to obtain burl maple, and it certainly wouldnt have had anywhere near the same grain, so why bother?

You dont think id take a photo of a tight neck joint if i though the body i spent many hours shaping was going to fall and get damaged... do ya?

The rosewood matches the neck. Its a little hard to obtain burl maple, and it certainly wouldnt have had anywhere near the same grain, so why bother?

I think I've had this coversation with most of my local guitar related friends and almost all agree that unless you can actually match the grain almost exactly on a cavity plate, its best to use a contrasting wood to the body. Matching the neck is a perfect choice and looks nice, especially when you see a guitar in person. I've seen too many cavity plates that are made of the same body wood, but the grain is way different or the color isn't the same and I cringe every time I see that. Perfectly matching plate or contrasting, anything outside of that tends to look off and completed distracts from the flow of the guitar. J

i agree, it needs to be a seamlessly matched back plate or something that doesnt try to "compete" with the body woods, thats best achieved by tying it into somewhere else on the guitar :-p

i think it looks great

just 1 more quick question, you use templates for your control cavities?

• 3 weeks later...