leopardwood veneer on headstock

HARDWARE

all black hardware

Wilkinson tuners

2 Aretc humbuckers

standard LP wiring

wip01.jpg

wip02.jpg

I bought an Epiphone neck for this project. I'm using all of the hardware fron the Zebrawood capped LP to make this one. I started to hog out the control cavity, but I switched gears mid-stream and started doing something else. It'll still be there Wednesday. Unless I work on one of the OTHER 4 projects I have going on. :D This one is going up on consignment. I need to have this one done by the middle of November for the Christmas shopping season.

You are a project machine.

I have so many things going on at once....

I seriously NEED to have about a week off from my job so I can go get some of these things done. There are 3 non-guitar projects waiting to be finished up, and another 2 to be started. One of those two is an assembly-line project that is likely to have 6-10 finished pieces.

Then there are 4 guitar projects, and another one in the planning. This isn't to mention the sale bodies I need to continue to make. There are no less than 4 od those waiting in the wings. I have two bodies that didn't sell, so I'll be putting trem routes in them and trying again, so there's some time there too.

Yea... I need some time off so I can get some stuff done.

front

edge 1

edge 2

Leopardwood glued on.

Cap routed to size.

Carve lip cut.

Binding channel cut.

So... do I glue on the binding before I do the carve or after? I think I know the answer, but I need to make sure. When you answer, please tell me WHY as well.

Also, I need y'all to tell me what to do. I can put on either of two different necks. I have a mahogany LP neck with white binding, MOP blocks, and a rosewood f/b. I also have a maple Epihpone neck with an Explorer headstock, maple f/b, and dots. If I use the LP neck, I do nothing to it. If I use the Epi, I'll put a thin leopardwood overlay on it. Bear in mind that this is going to have a traditional LP electronics layout, but with a hardtail bridge. This guitar is going on consignment in a local shop, so PLEASE tell me what to do from that perspective.

wip09.jpg

wip10.jpg

that looks sweet with the lp. Explorer one would look better if it was rosewood mahogany. Where did you happen to get that LP neck? Personal or ebay or w/e?

I bought the neck off of eBay. I did a side-by-side comparison if it, a Danelectro, Carvin, and Westone necks in this thread.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=394426

I was finally able to get back to it tonight, and once again I prove myself to be a bonehead.

I did the binding tonight. It went a LOT easier than I was anticipating. I was even able to use the heat gun to soften it up to go around the tight corners. With the all-black hardware, I went with black binding to keep the theme going. It's actually a VERY nice contrast outline between the leopardwood and the ash.

Then I put the neck in place it to see how everything looked.

Houston, we have a problem.

THE DANG NECK IS BOUND IN WHITE!!!!!!!!

:D :D B)

My first thought was to try and peel the black binding off. With the superglue holding everything in place, that clearly wasn't an option. The second thought was to use the explorer headstock. No... it's a longer scale than the LP neck, so the bridge pup would be a little out of place.

So here's the question: Can I rout it off? If so, I could even leave just a little bit of the black there and give it an extra layer of pinstriping inside the white.

I don't know - I think it looks kind of cool! I'd be tempted to leave it the way it is, and build or pick up a black-bound neck that fits later down the road if it really got to me.

But yes, you should be able to route off the binding - I've done it before, although never over a whole body, just in a small area. If you aren't comfortable, bind a little bit around a scrap block, let it set, and try it removing it there! (Practice on scrap, even if you need to make scrap to do it!)

It's messy, because of the way the plastic shaves off and sticks to everything via static cling. I did it in a few shallow passes, and had no problem.

I know there was a builder here a year or two ago that wasn't happy with his binding and routed it off and re-applied. I don't remember him having problems.

Time to start building your own necks.....

Or you can make one for me. Since neither going to happen....

I guess I'll rout it off tonight. I think the black looks better than the white will, but I don't like the looks of them combined. I think I'll try clipping off part of it first and see if I can rig up a multi-layer effect.

Anyone else want to chime in before I do something to it this weekend? I'll be getting to it by Sunday afternoon so that I can do the carve on Monday. Any and all input suggesting how not to dork this up is always appreciated.