First Build

Following my post here I've finally gotten started on my first project. Here's the final design I came up with:

3141328841_53ec75c1b0_o.jpg

I managed to get access to a monster Epson 9600 printer, so I printed a bunch of back and front views of the design full-size:

3142131356_84e4962af6_o.jpg

I then cut out one of the views, taped it to a piece of MDF and traced the lines with an Exacto knife.

3141303453_e158826f0f_o.jpg

I used a band saw and a spindle sander to cut out the shape, and did the same thing to get templates for the headstock, neck pocket and pickup cavity. I calculated out the fretboard dimensions rather than printing it, and then traced around the resulting fretboard template to get a nice tight neck pocket template.

3142132076_43448529e6_o.jpg

finished templates

So now I'm just waiting for my wood to arrive (should be here Monday). A bit about the specs and hardware:

25.5" scale, mahogany neck with wenge headplate and maple veneer, mahogany body with 1/4" wenge top and maple veneer, hipshot fixed bridge, Planet Waves tuners. Not sure about pickups yet, will probably postpone that decision until the very end.

Edited by Xanthus

Very classy design! I like the little point at the bottom.

I'd be concerned about the horns breaking off, but since you're putting a cap on it, maybe you could inlay some cross-grain splints under the top, if you see what I mean, since there will be short grain there.

Pretty neat! I'm not sold on the horns, but that's more personal taste than necessarily a bad design. I think you've managed to put together some interesting elements without being over the top here.

As far as structural integrity on the tips of the horns, I've seen worse. Simply not putting the strap button at the very tip of the horns can probably alleviate the worst of fears there.

Major progress today, shop looks like a sawdust bomb went off. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

3152830516_fdc26bb5a4_o.jpg

3152830790_726069f914_o.jpg

3152831768_c83ddf4398_o.jpg

Here's one wetted down. Pretty impressive color change.

3152832184_bcdb91db47_o.jpg

Front agan

Back carved

Front carved and wet

Here's where I stand now. Body pretty much done, except for bridge and controls.

Front

Tomorrow: neck stuff (got the scarf joint gluing now, and the fretboard has been slotted and tapered).

Edited by Xanthus
pic count

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm really pleased with how it's going so far, definitely much smoother than I had feared. First for the questions.

maikman: definitely gonna contour the neck heel after it's glued in. Upper fret access is gonna be a breeze on this thing =]

Xanthus: getting the carve roughed out went pretty quickly with an angle grinder, once I got the hang of using the thing. Maybe an hour for the first draft, then another hour with a round rasp perfecting it. (Oh, and thanks for the photos)

Alright, got a bunch done on the neck over the past couple days. Here are some new photos:

Fretboard and ears gluing up.

3157468255_a78eff83da_o.jpg

Fretboard glued and radiused, headstock cut out.

3158299840_52b56c088a_o.jpg

Side view at this stage.

3157468763_0f60d2b1df_o.jpg

Ran out of fretwire halfway through the job. Damn! Hopefully more will be arriving tomorrow, and at least the fretting itself seemed to go smoothly.

3157469047_fe1f9e2171_o.jpg

Headstock thicknessed, neck rough carved.

3158300676_79d7041ffe_o.jpg

Neck carve close to finished. Need to finish installing the frets before I continue.

3157469641_b13d21b7a3_o.jpg

3157469889_eec6188c11_o.jpg

3158301588_a6ea4fb8c0_o.jpg

Well, the fretwire didn't end up arriving yesterday, much to my disappointment, so I decided to go ahead and glue in the neck anyway. Also got the headstock veneers on, and did a little carving of the headstock to complement the body. Pics:

3168579671_7012a1c759_o.jpg

I'll blend the neck/body join at the heel, and add a wenge veneer to the back of the headstock.

3169410080_65b835a248_o.jpg

Headstock closeup. Not quite finished, but you get the idea.

3168581527_bde23cddca_o.jpg

Unfortunately, school is starting back up for me, which means I'll be a couple hours from my shop, but I'm gonna try to go back this week and I should still be able to work on the weekends. Hoping to more or less finish this thing next weekend.

i think you have a lot of potential; not many people can pick up an idea like guitar building and churn out something like what you have done

although there just a lot of things only practice can teach us this is really great. i am concerned about the headstock though; it seems the bushings for the tuners are most likely going to be partially over the carve.

just keep it up man this is beautiful

Really nice work, love the body carve and shape although I dont like the horns :D

i wouldnt like the horns on any other guitar; but i think the accents of the laminations make this one look stunning...i had a build that had a similar lamination plan..but with bubinga i never got around to doing anything but maybe thats why i like this build so much

Thanks for the feedback guys. I did the headstock carving with the tuners in hand (Planet Waves), and they fit without hanging over the carve, so I think I'm OK there. However, last night as I was falling asleep I suddenly realized that I forgot to drill the holes for the pickup wires. The plan was to do this through the neck pocket, which is obviously now not accessible. Anyone have any ideas for how I can get this done?