My Custom RG7 so far

What would you like to know? Exactly how many times i've sworn and cursed at it lol ... Ok,Here are my plans ...

1,To get a ton more clear on it,Adding depth i'm hoping and bringing out a bit more of the veneered top

2,trade the 2 black DiMarzio blaze pickups for white jobbies

3,dig out my white tone and vol knobs instead of the cream i had to hand

4,Most probably ditch the scratchplate and direct mount the pups (scracthplate has no mounting holes yet)

5,Yes that is a genuine UV777BK neck,since i have a UV777BK i got it to be the perfect pyramid partner lol

6,Barring disaster,the back and sides will remains natural basswood?

7,await arrival of all chrome hardware for neck and body :-)

8,build it,wire it,then most probably drop it and start again :D

The top really is B) But i'm not so good at photography,any pointers to photing flame?

Rob

cool, the figured top would be a shame to cover up! ive started my adaption on the ibanez rg today, making body atm, then neck etc... its gonna be a little different, carved top and probably oiled finish, figured neck etc... the body looks almost exactly like my rg320, but there are subtle changes. its gonna be 27-29 ish frets, havent decided which, 1 humbucker, and perhaps a hot rail or something if there is room!

mike

that top does not look perfectly smooth. I say go over the top lightly with 800 or higher grit sandpaper (higher is better, if you can get it, but 800 will suffice, but you just need a few more clearcoats after the very light sanding) Just make sure it's nice and smooth, and you won't see the sanding lines. but i'm not sure if you sand up and down, or left and right with flameed maple, i've never used it... also: VERY NICE!!!! I say throw that guard to the curb!!

rg7custom05.jpg

This is 10 coats now,sanded back twice,and obviously i'm gonna go for plenty more coats (20?) so 30 in all sounds good? it's actually flattened out a fair bit,but its slow going as i have to run to the shed to spray and run back in doors (bloody rain)

i'm still having trouble taking decent pics tho,i'll have to get some out side pics once it's better eather wise

Rob

I don't actually spray when it's raining or in the rain,Just run with guitar across garden into shed lol,But when its raining hard i figure tomorrows only a day away lol

Thanks for the sweet comment,It's actually more flamey than i first thought it was :-)

I can't wait to actually play it now

Rob :-)

Your doing excellent and now you can see what we say about having patience, it's going to be killer :D

actually on this guitar i like the pickgaurd...it breaks up the vast expanse of that 7 string body.

Um Wes, ever lay an RG 7 body down on top of a 6 string RG? Same body just bigger cavitys in the middle, sounds strange but true............

Your doing excellent and now you can see what we say about having patience, it's going to be killer :D

Oh i am not worthy B)

Thanks Brian,it's comments like that are the very nicest form of flattery,maybe it'll make it into a GOTM at some point in the future :-)

Thanks to you all for the inspiration and courage to try it myself,and to learn from many mistakes

Rob