Multi-scale 6 String Build

This is a back burner build that I decided to dust off and finally finish…Or at least work on some more. :D I glued the neck in earlier today. The neck is a piece of walnut & maple marquetry that a friend gave me. I normally wouldn’t use a piece like this for a neck, but for some reason I couldn’t resist. The wood was from a pile that was going to be thrown away. A friend of mine rents a house. He was cleaning out the garage for the landlord and came across a bunch of wood in the attic, so he called me to come check it out. Most of it was cracked & checked beyond use. I got a few good useful pieces. His landlord told me the previous owner was a retired carpenter who died several years ago. The wood had been in the attic for 15 or 20 years. I thought it would be cool to have the unknown carpenters work live on. :D

Specs:

Parable “Paradigm” Multi-scale 6 string

24.5” to 25.5” scale set neck

Maple fretboard with walnut interlocking scroll inlay

Black hardware, binding & accent

Seymour Duncan 2 hum layout with coil tap

Jescar EVO gold jumbo fretwire

3 piece walnut carved top body

Allparts “single string” bridges

Gotoh tuners

walnut.jpg

Very nice Doug, keep the pics flowing

Ok... :D Here is a pic of the board fresh out of the laser. The multi-scale was drawn in CAD, then I scribed the board with the laser. After that I sawed the slots with a hand fret saw. Then back in the laser for the inlay. I could have done the inlay at the same time, but I hadn't decided on an inlay design yet. Soon I will be offering pre-slotted multi-scale boards on my website.

walnut7.jpg

I've been working on getting this build ready for finishing. I'm unsure if I want to do a Tung oil, or a poly clear...I'm thinking poly. I like a smooth heel on my set neck builds. While sanding, I ran into this little "mishap". :D I guess I got a little carried away with the 80 grit. I knew it would be close... I just mis-judged it by a few thousanths. Nothing I can do now but live with it. :D

walnut10.jpg

Actually, I didnt CNC this build. The slotting & inlay was done on the laser. Everything else was done by hand. You can see where I forstener'd out the pup & control cav. routs.

Just shoot me an email of what you need: doug<at>parableguitars<dot>com :D

<edit: removed direct email link to prevent spambots harvesting the address>

Edited by Prostheta

Similar. Dougs seems toned down a bit and is more symmetrical, as Jeremy's lower horn and bottom scoop are reversed and the proportions are noticeably different. As cool as I've always thought Jeremy's design is, I think I'm more a fan of this one by Doug, looks pretty nice, though I wouldn't be opposed to having Jeremy paint it, lol. It seems nearly impossible these days to do something that doesn't resemble something else. I thought I had done one that wouldn't have one too close, but a few months later I saw one that had quite a bit in common with it.

At least Doug there was wood underneath your mistake, if it was just a pocket or chamber, then you'd probably have to scrap it or do a serious repair job of some sort. Anyhow, looks good, and great job matching that scarf, wow. I think I would have gotten frustrated and just capped top and bottom, lol. Keep the pics coming. J

out of curiosity did you use a mortise and tenon on that neck? or just a standard joint? because if it wasn't a mortise and tenon why not carve back and just move the joint closer to the body... just a thought

Kenny

EDIT: Also, what type of laser do you use, and how much did it set you back :D

Edited by Kenny

Yea....It definately sucks! The biggest problem was the hex end of the TR was stripped. It had a back bow, and I couldnt get the neck straight. I had leveled the board as much as possible. Then I went ahead and fretted it, and tried leveling the frets. I had to take too much off of the frets. There were other small problems with this build too. I dont think the marquetry was to blame. This is the first build I've had to scrap like this.

With a stripped TR I would never be able to properly adjust the neck. Trying to "fix" all the problems would have taken too much time, and the quality of the finished product would not suit me. So I gave it the old "floor stress test". :D

...as a photoshop render? :D

With a stripped TR I would never be able to properly adjust the neck. Trying to "fix" all the problems would have taken too much time, and the quality of the finished product would not suit me. So I gave it the old "floor stress test". :D

It failed than, I take it?

We need to install a high-five emoticon on here....

virtual-high-five.GIF

Edited by Prostheta

Yea....It definately sucks! The biggest problem was the hex end of the TR was stripped. It had a back bow, and I couldnt get the neck straight. I had leveled the board as much as possible. Then I went ahead and fretted it, and tried leveling the frets. I had to take too much off of the frets. There were other small problems with this build too. I dont think the marquetry was to blame. This is the first build I've had to scrap like this.

Sorry... missed the stripped trussrod.

After all that I bet it felt good to go all "The kids are alright" on it!