First Build.

So I guess it isn't a full blown build but it's a body. Got a piece of Padauk and want to replace the crappy, chipped body of my RG320. I think I will soon replace the neck with my own but for now I'm just going to use what I have.

013.jpg

IbanezRG.jpg

I need tips on how to get the body perfectly center, and how to get the trem route and pickup cavities perfectly center. Thanks!

Mark a center line down the center of your body template, and align it with the center line of your body blank (convenient on your blank since there's a glue line).

Also mark a center line on all your other templates (pickup templates, trem cavity template) and align them with the center line on your body.

And careful with that padauk... padauk splinters are memorable.

Edited by Rick500
I can't type

Mark a center line down the center of your body template, and align it with the center line of your body blank (convenient on your blank since there's a glue line).

Also mark a center line on all your other templates (pickup templates, trem cavity template) and align them with the center line on your body.

And careful with that padauk... padauk splinters are memorable.

Alright thanks. I've drawn up the pickups and tomorrow when I have more time I will draw out the neck pocket. And about the splinters, I know, I've already had a palm full just from handling it. :D

If you are done forever with the old rg320 body but want the new body you can make a template from the rg320 using lexan and 2 sided tape.

Get a nice flush cut bit and tape the lexan to the top of the rg body. trim the excess with a saw (bandsaw, jigsaw, ...) then use your router to copy the body in lexan.

I love to drive screws into the old donor body... I know tmi.

th_saving_jackson_009.jpg

Edited by RestorationAD

If you are done forever with the old rg320 body but want the new body you can make a template from the rg320 using lexan and 2 sided tape.

Get a nice flush cut bit and tape the lexan to the top of the rg body. trim the excess with a saw (bandsaw, jigsaw, ...) then use your router to copy the body in lexan.

I love to drive screws into the old donor body... I know tmi.

th_saving_jackson_009.jpg

That's really cool I think I'm going to do that. But why would I need to be done with the RG forever by making a template? Or am I just reading things wrong?

Oh it was.... driving a couple of 2 inch drywall screws into a cheap POS jackson was fun. However 2 sided tape works fine. The screws are really tight and give a nice reference point. Sometimes I have had 2 sided tape move a little when it is cold. At the price of a piece of lexan I would hate for it to move.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright a little change of plans. It looks like I'm making a neck for it. Went to the lumber yard and got a piece of mahogany big enough for 1 bolt on and 1 neck through. Cut and glued the scarf today.

010.jpg

012.jpg

Hopefully the 2 clamps will be good enough. I also got new tools!! :D

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/M...l_092/009-1.jpg

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb239/M...all_092/015.jpg

Both work great.

Hopefully the 2 clamps will be good enough. I also got new tools!! :D

I would have used cauls to protect the wood and distribute pressure.

The 2 clamps worked fine. Everything is still glued and no signs of budging. The wood is very wide and very thick so any surface I clamped will be cut off or planed so there was no need for cauls.

What new tools did you get?