Homemade Guitar Bridge

Lefty

Bridge.jpg

I know the whole dealio on individual string height and intonation, but I still wanted to give this a shot. I'll get ahold of some springs to put on each of the long screws. I got the idea of using a threaded rod because on my last homemade guitar I used a jaguar bridge.

This was a long piece of aluminum, I put it in the vice and hit it with a hammer til I got about a 12 inch radius curve. The string holes are a little bit off, just because the small drill bit would shift off target. The threading is messed up in some spots thanks to the vice. I wrapped duct tape around the rod whenever I put it in the vice, but I guess I made it too tight a few times. So yeah, here it is.

Close enough for rock-n-roll, as can be backed up by countless recordings of old Gibsons with stop bar wraparound bridges. I like it!

I made This one out of a chunk of #5 iron rebar.

Gah! That's so freakin' cool. Roadhouse guitar you can play and beat people with.

Man I thought we went back to the 50"s. Cool idea hope it works out.

Yeah, the hole drilling is always a mess on the first one. I made a couple and had not discovered 'center-drills' yet, or discovered a good way to move the work-piece with the help of a digital caliper yet . So I assume the next one I build will look quite good.

Here's my first try. As you can see, the drill bit wandered like hell on me when I drilled the "key holes" in the steel base plate. I made this bridge (and a couple other guitar bridges just like it) for industrial purposes only (for working on necks in the workshop). The main thing I needed was to be able to easily pop the strings off and on, and I gave myself two options with that : one option is the key-holes. The other is that on the "lip" of the base, there are T shaped openings, where the string ball-end goes down the middle, and then is pulled off to the side. Stays in place when string tension is applied. I got the idea from some big company bridge I saw photos of.