Paganini

MikeB

hia

i have recently transcribed/tabbed the 24th caprice from the violin part, i had to put some stuff down an octave or 2 because of the range etc... anyhow does anyone have any tips on playing this piece, and tips on how to approach the sweep picking and articulation on the notes.

btw have you seen the string skipping, omg :D

cya laters,

thanks in advance

mike

just do it, thats a plan, get the mind set right and play. im gonna try something i rarely do. play it slowly first and build speed :D i think this is my worst attribute as a player, i try to play things at full speed first time round. thanks alot man B)

cheers

mike

just do it, thats a plan, get the mind set right and play. im gonna try something i rarely do. play it slowly first and build speed B) i think this is my worst attribute as a player, i try to play things at full speed first time round. thanks alot man :D

Heck yeah! Too many players are guilty of this. They play all out of whack then think "I'm such a great player!!!" :D If you have one, practice them with a metronome... and record yourself along the way to gauge your improvement... the machines won't lie!

look for a guitar world back issue from last year, yngwie gives tip on playing the caprices, and some other challanging paganini stuff. i once started the caprices,(on violin, not guitar) and got frustrated. i love the fluidity of the violin. yngwie captures this same fluidity in his renditions of paganini. you should check out yngwies versions, top notch.

yeah, the malmsteen versions are great :D i think ill give the 5th caprice of his a go soon ish. i play stuff at their full speed while learning because i want to learn it quicker, a habbit i got into, but am gettin out of now, its slower learning like this. my bro plays everything at full whack to sound fast but the amount of mistakes... its funny!! the metronome is brutal! i have previously tried recording my practises with a metronome, ad it really helps, also tried to get bro to do it, when he had recorded he was like it must be the metronome is wrong!! i laughed!

mike

lol, yeah one day i decided to do steve vai's 8 hour practice session from guitar world. after 4, iwas done... my hand still cramps just thinking about it. :D

when i got my ibanez the first day i played for 9 hours, 2nd day 7, 3rd day 6 lol, then it crept to about 4 steadily. played for about 1hr today, just went to see lord of the rings :D gr8 film!!

Warning - off topic comment:

Lord of the Rings? Awesome movie!!!! In my opinion, each one of the series is the best done films of our time. Of course, they had the advantage of having an excellent story but boy did they ever make me feel like I was part of the journey.

I'm not sure which Caprice that one is but I have learned a Paganini piece recently that George Lynch plays on one of his videos. I'm not quite 100% yet but it took a whole lot of practice. Normally (for me) practicing at slower speeds helps. For the Paganini piece, I had to force myself to practice at a higher speed in order for me to gain progress. The speed is the part that really makes it difficult for me - not neccessarily the stretching / skipping. I think you have to be absolutely determined to get it right.

just take it slow, and remember what comes next. in time you'll have it. i have john petrucci's rock disipline dvd, and he has a great lesson on there about playing fast. he does it for rythm also. he starts at like 115, and is at like 250!! by the end, it's nuts!!

warning-off topic

im going to see it today!

cant wait!

back to paganini

im playing the 5th one right now

but now yngwies version

my teacher gave me tabs that are played at frets 1 to like 7

im moving em up higher and more solo like

pretty hard

i used to play the violin but quit before i got to that...

i played it for like 8 years and then quit

now im on my 3rd year of guitar and im playing violin stuff

pretty ironic....

its hard!

your on your third year of guitar, and your playing paganini, wow!!! im impressed!

petrucci's rock dicipline DVD is soo temptimg right now!

im just gonna stick with this piece, and nail it! which reminds me, i should be practising now!

ciao

mike