Drak - The Phoenix

Here is the first doublecut I'm making since returning to building, The Phoenix.

I got some free 2-piece Maple body wood awhile back, and decided to put it to good use.

Here is the body with the the sides glued on, just getting started.

The add-on pieces were taken from the area just above them, just cut it out, flip it, glue it up.

001.jpg

Here is the body after rounding out the edges to rough shape.

Notice The Plan drawn out on The Body.

The Plan allows me to do many different things.

> I know where Everything is going to go.

> I can make it a chambered body

> I can -also- have a rear tummy route (how often do you see those two together?)

> I know where my controls are going, and I know they'll fit (from the top)

> I know where my pkps are going, and can hollow around them if I want (and I do)

> I know where my bridge and tailpiece are going, and can hollow around them to suit me as well

It's all Drawn Out in detail so I know what's going where, and what's going to happen.

-No- surprises :D

A Plan is a really great thing to have and to do.

002.jpg

The body chambered.

I think I would have done a -bit- neater job, but it was February, I was doing it outside, it was cold, and I'm still a tad rusty.

This was my first tool-to-wood contact in over a year plus, so gimme a break already, please and thanks :D

007.jpg

Well, let me be the first to repeat the usual post that always end up in your builds threads, so nobody else has to tread that old ground shall I?

- don't install any pickups or hardware as it'll just hide that beautiful wood.

Incidentally, isn't "The Phoenix" kind of a little ironic for a gent of your reputation and WODliness?

Don't install any pickups or hardware as it'll just hide that beautiful wood.

Incidentally, isn't "The Phoenix" kind of a little ironic for a gent of your reputation and WODliness?

Thank You as always for the nice words.

Actually, I thought The Phoenix was a great title, as I am trying to not Destroy All Guitars anymore, tee hee :D .

Also, it sort of fits me since I am rising forth from my own ashes to begin building again...I really did put everything away and never looked at it for quite some time...a nice long breather.

And, if the finish comes off as I want, it will be 'Phoenix' like, IF it works out.

It will be interesting to see if the old chops come right back or I'll have to <groan> ..practice on scrap.., hahaha!

Anyway, here's a shot of the control cavity cover now resting happily in place, and the rear tummy route 80% done.

026.jpg

Different View of Back

You'll be swingin' in no time Wes!

OK, all the holes are already drilled, but I took a few pics of how I do the TOM posts.

I think I got mine from Carvin, and the posts take a 7/16" hole.

I use a 7/16" Brad Point bit with a piece of tape at the correct place and a dial caliper to check my depths.

I always try to nail it dead on, I don't want to make the hole any deeper than necessary, and these two tools get me there.

Just tape alone can fool you as it will slide sometimes, so the caliper keeps me honest.

030.jpg

...and the last shot for the day, different angle on the black hardware.

Obviously, the hole left open/ no knob is the 3-way selector switch hole.

This guitar is only about 1 1/2" thick overall, which I -really- like, it's a lot like an SG Jr. in a way.

The chambering and the thinner body I believe will greatly help offset the typical bright Maple tone, and the weight of the body is soo comfy, it's light and bouncy and perfect for me. Not typical Maple-heavy at ALL now.

041.jpg