English Walnut 5 String Bass

I'm about to get started on another 5 string, I'll post some pictures when I start making sawdust next week :D

Body:

American Cherry

English Walnut top, 1/2" thick

Oil/wax finish

Neck:

Not 100% sure, either Sapele or Maple...or a mixture of the two

Macassar Ebony fretboard, 35" scale, 24 frets

English Walnut headstock veneers

Hardware/Electrics:

Nordstrand Big Singles

Nordstrand 2 band preamp

Hipshot Ultralite tuners, black

Hipshot bridge, black

Here's the original sketch of the body shape (not a very good angle), it's been tweaked slightly since this was taken...

plan.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I really like, it's pretty similar to (English) Sycamore, Maple, etc, to work with, it sands to a really nice finish, it routes well but like Maple has a tendency to burn. It's reasonably heavy, which might put some people off but combined with lighter 1/2" tops the body weight is fine. We'll see how these 2 basses sound when they're done but I'm certainly planning to use it again.... I just wish it was cheaper to buy over here :D

Yeah, I should of said.... the pic I posted yesterday was wiped over with water to raise the grain. The last pic is a bit pale compared to how it looks in the flesh, fluorescent lights are probably to blame, which is why I tend to take my pics outside.

Edited by Simo