These any good?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

i just ordered 3 of them. for 14 bucks, uh i think they are worth it. i have a couple of bodies waiting for pups, and with 4 conductor wiring to boot, can't wait.

i'll let you know as soon as they get installed.

Bein as I sell my guitars, if they sound like crap, thats wrong

And my guitars come standard with series/paralell/split/std/ala jimmy page LP. I need 4 conductors for that. So, in my case I could go wrong.

LCF if i was in america id probably buy one to try but as you sell guitars and have no feedback on them i wouldnt, however i got great pickups from brandoni guitars in england. nice alnico PAFs i think!

cya

mike

thought you were just playing around. I would not use a brand like that with no reviews or credibility. personally i love the sound of teh lace pickups. I've done a lot of searching, and I really love the sound and they happen to be quite cheap. I also like the 57 classic gibsons. or burstbuckers. check those out.

the gibson p-ups are pretty pricey though :D

Well, as my firsts arent truly custom...sold in a store...the pickups will prolly be swapped out anyway. I can see putting duncans there, but why? Someone's gonna slap dimarzios in. So unless its custom, if the pups sound good, why not?

Just using that as an example. Lets say I use a duncan sh6 set. The buyer wants a 59 set. Because its an off the shelf job, he didnt get a choice. He buys the 59s and scraps the stock sh6s. Thats what I was saying. If they sound good, why not use them unless specified by the customer?

As to why not, I'd say that a potential customer is having to put faith into your building instead of choosing a name brand like Fender, Gibson or Ibanez. If it has a name brand for the pickups, it says to me as a buyer that the luthier didn't skimp on materials/hardware. If I can't recognize the PU brand it would cast some doubt on what else was used/done to save money. I guess it all depends on what price range you're trying to compete in. While many folks do replace PUs, I suspect it is less than you think: not all players are tinkerers like us.

I hope you take this as a supportive opinion, not as a knock.

You have a good point. I'd really only di it if the pickup were gig worthy. If there was any unclear tones out of it, unwanted noises, or what not, then they're crap. Its like a PU wound in house as far as non name brand, ie duncan. Most of the stuff I plan to do is custom, and as I am still in the prototype stages, saving money is good. Once I am established, I can use duncans and charge more. I plan to enter the market at around $800 US, and the more I spend, the less profit I make, W/O raising prices.

I should point out that I am pretty cheap, so I am also looking for great values. If these are good PUs, I'd be interested for my own projects. The business side of things is different. I have a friend who has been building for a few years and we have talked about market position and niches a bit. He isn't ready to launch into it fulltime yet. The $800 level makes sense from my perspective because you can't compete with the big boys on the $ 200 - $400 dollar ones. And until you have a name it would be hard to find many buyers for $2000 specials. As the local and regional buyers become more aware of of and accepting of your work, then you can move more of you production into highend (higher cost) custom work. Sell a bunch of Toyotas and then launch the Lexus line.e

That exactly what I was saying, and mostly thinking. I plan to trust speedy's judgement here, he has tended to know what he is talking about, so if he likes em, I'll give em a go. So Aaron, I guess that counts as a review.

• 5 weeks later...

i have one half installed, i have a body done with neck waiting on the OFR to get here. i believe it will be here on tues.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As long as it's been bumped, I'll mention Mighty Mite pickups. Not just because I used to work there, because we hadn't begun importing the pickups at that time anyway. Ibanez and other manufacturers helped the Korean factory really bone up on pickup making, and they bought all new machinery, which instantly improved the overall quality. That's when you started seeing Duncan Designed, and now a Bartolini mkII coming out of Korea. They made the Ibanez ATK pickup over there too, which was fantastic. At this point, if you give them a design, they can make it almost as well as the US manufacturers. They'll be a little less consistent, though. But nobody gives them the "good designs" because they need the heirarchy to remain intact. Actually, I think the Sky pickups are Mighty Mites, and the P-90 is the Kent Armstrong P-90 everyone likes. Don't quote me on that though.

Their bargain pickups are poop, but the alnico PAF types, hot ceramics, and alnico singles are very good quality for the money. For someone like Lichtfield, they are a great "stock" pickup that would sound good enough to sell the guitar, with a small enough investment that you don't feel bad if it's replaced.

I haven't experienced them myself, but lots of people on the Guitarist forum have recommended Kent Armstrong pickups as excellent value for the money-- as good (some people say better, but we all know about subjectivity) as Seymour Dunc or Dimarzio, but 2/3 to 1/2 the price.

That's still not as cheap as a set of $14, but as Kent Armstrong pickups have garnered a solid reputation and favourable reviews on various sites, at least they're a company you can stand behind while at the same time increasing your profit by $40-$60 per guitar in place of using more expensive brand names.

• 3 months later...