I Hate Asking This

I'm looking for advice on sanding and polishing around the horns of a guitar. Especially on a strat. It's really difficult to get into those tight curves to sand and polish.

Is there a tool or DIY tool you guys use? I was thinking of wrapping a drill or cylinder in a soft cloth and polishing that way.

Any ideas?

( all the while Jef is giggling about "polishing the horns" )

There is also sanding MOPS, which I have used on occasion either in a hand drill or a drill press. They help keep the work to a minimum but its not a 100% solution.

This is just a link to some pictures MOP :D

This is only for body sanding not for finish work.

I do prep sanding with a dual action orbital, final few swipes by hand. Wet sanding all by hand, even in the curves. I found that the soft brown erasers work nicely as sanding blocks in there. They're rigid enough to sand flattly, but soft enough to bend around the curves. Polishing is done as much as I can with a 5" random orbit buffer, and auto polishes. For the areas too tight for that I use a 2" cotton buffing wheel on a 1/4" shaft in the hand drill set to a low speed with the same polishes. You just have to be super super carefull to keep spinning hard parts away from the finish, but it has worked well for me so far.

From the beginning its band saw and then roundover bit in the router. The hard part of shaping and smoothing those areas is the fact that its mostly end grain. It can be a real workout at times, especially with maple. So I found that rasps and riffler files are VERY effective for getting your general shape in order before sanding. I've used drills and sanding drums and have even wrapped some sand paper around a can of soup. :D Thats great if the radius of your "drum" is the same as the cutaway, otherwise be careful.

Edited by Southpa

a can of soup. :D

I think that belongs in the wacky tool post

For polishing I did try using one of those small foam paint rollers (about 1 to 1.5 inch's in diameter, 5 inches long) glued onto a metal boss and used (very carefully) in a variable speed electric drill. Works to a degree and does get in about the horns, but didn't feel very comfortable doing it and ended up doing by hand as normal in the end :DB)

Jim :D

Edited by Foggy

Wow, good suggestions. I didn't like asking because it sounded like I was asking how to polish the horns. Double entendre deluxe. And I did get the "cracks and power tools" joke.

I liked the idea of a paint roller. That has some possibilities if married to a drill at low speed. Almost like cotton buffing on baseball bats. ( Ever seen that? Pretty cool. ) I'm wondering if the nap of the brush could actually work as a "grit" so to speak. Interesting experiment though.

I was also thinking of some kind of cloth method maybe sewing the sandpaper to the cloth. I also like the eraser. Maybe a soft chalk board eraser would work well too?

Thanks for the help.

I've used the foam pipe insulation.....I've put it over a screw driver handle and chucked it in a hand drill and the drill press. You can get it in various sizes and cut it into different shapes as well. There are different types out there with different densities. I also use PVC pipe with sandpaper wrapped around it.

Steve

Besides cutting up pipe, cans, household items, paint rollers, shoes (waiting for this one) and any other item that is most likely just a marginal improvement over hand sanding try............................

FLAP WHEELS. They fit in a hand drill or drill press, come in small sizes and do a great job of sanding in cutouts. LINK

Flaps are similar to MOPS but are more affordable. I especailly like the 120 grit Flaps with 3M abrasive pads in the wheel, a very fine cut. I guarantee this will make Paint rollers and cans look like stone age tool and they will not fall apart when you chuck them up in your hand drill.

Stone Age tools eh....? I very much doubt the cave paintings in Lascaux were done using rollers, and i'm even less convinced they had aseptic processed food storage methods!

Sanding in cutaways is a really boring task, but one I don't think can be sped up without the potential for doing too much work on the wrong area. I would vote doing it by hand on the basis that the extra time and effort is worth not having to repair any inadvertant damage.

I very much doubt the cave paintings in Lascaux were done using rollers

Time is relative, you would not use a bow saw but a band saw to cut out a body. Wouldnt that be considered using stone age tools???

Stone Age tools eh....? I very much doubt the cave paintings in Lascaux were done using rollers

Why did the image of a lemming tied round a branch and dipped in paint just spring to mind???? :D

The invention of axles must have made rotating paint lemmings skewered on sticks a worthwhile invention in this regard.

Probably the first lemming ever to squeak...................Darwinism at it's best!

• 4 weeks later...
Well now...I do have an oscillating drum sander which I use(with a big attachment) to get the cutaway as close as I can to begin with...If I do it well I don't need much hand sanding at all.

In the adjacent deparment in my previous work guys had 10 KW CO2 laser and 3 dimentional manipulator hand with direct connection to autocad, that's almost getting close to your oscilating drum.

This does not sound like a hobby DIY, rather small scale manufacturing that scares me away from this place.

Edited by grtvrm